E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Clunk from Front passenger side

03-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Chris1337
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

Clunk from Front passenger side

Only hear it when going over small bumps. I got coilovers on the car and all endlinks and bolts are very tight. Have looked at tons of threads but no luck. Almost sounds like the engine mount has gone horrible and sounds like it is bouncing up and down. Going to check windshield washer tank and engine mounts when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1337 View Post
Only hear it when going over small bumps. I got coilovers on the car and all endlinks and bolts are very tight. Have looked at tons of threads but no luck. Almost sounds like the engine mount has gone horrible and sounds like it is bouncing up and down. Going to check windshield washer tank and engine mounts when I get a chance.
so weird... I get a clunk like this randomly too. Sounds like something is smacking the firewall. I have had the engine out of the car, the steering rack replaced (and tie rods), the entire strut assembly torn down to put different bump stops on, and through all of that this sound still persists intermittently. I recently hit a pot hole and it started making the popping sound again like crazy over very little bump... then it went away. All is normal again. I have no clue what it could be as everything is tight and looks good.

I may send my struts out to be re-valved. Maybe It is the top hat bearing? Again I just had it all apart the other day and everything looks and feels fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
rich_mane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

I would get random noises over bumps as well, like something was loose and smacking. It wasn't loud enough for me to be concerned, but I always wondered what the hell it was. I've checked everything and all was tight. Also replaced my shocks and mounts and the sound persisted.

Mine wasn't loud enough to call it a "clunk" but almost more of a click sound. Light, sharp sound. Never figured it out. So I'm curious if you find any answers
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
DerekGates
AW E92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

Sheesh... I, too, am getting these little 'ticks' from passenger side. It almost sounds like the lower control arms, tie rods or sway bar end links amplifying play in their bearings... but all of my suspension parts are new.

I am suspecting camber plates, strut tower brace, catch can.... UGH
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 06:34 PM   #5
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Count me in. I get a knocking sound on the passenger front when slowly turning. No idea what it is. It sounds exactly like a socket rolling around and hitting something. I've got new end links and control arms. I'm going to do struts and shocks soon so maybe that'll cure it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 04:10 PM   #6
Chris1337
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well let's narrow this down.
A good friend of mine tightened every single bolt down there and that is not the issue. Wheel is not the issue but it is possible that the coilover was mounted improperly. anyone else here have coilovers? what brand? it also was not the engine or trans mounts. thinking maybe the windshield washer reso is loose or something
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #7
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

I’ve got full M3 stock suspension with Vorschlag camber plates up front. I had the clunk since I did the upgrade. It did go away when I cranked down on the top strut nut but has come back since. In addition, I can now hear the spring make all kinds of creaking noises when moving from a stop or very slow speeds and turning the wheels.

This winter, however, everything was very quiet. I’m thinking strut bearing up top.

This is on the driver’s side.

On a prior car I also had a definite clunk and that turned out to be a control arm bushing.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 04:38 PM   #8
Chris1337
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
I’ve got full M3 stock suspension with Vorschlag camber plates up front. I had the clunk since I did the upgrade. It did go away when I cranked down on the top strut nut but has come back since. In addition, I can now hear the spring make all kinds of creaking noises when moving from a stop or very slow speeds and turning the wheels.

This winter, however, everything was very quiet. I’m thinking strut bearing up top.

This is on the driver’s side.

On a prior car I also had a definite clunk and that turned out to be a control arm bushing.
sounds like sway bar end links are not tight. they gotta be tight as fuck, a tiny bit of creeking is normal
Appreciate 0