E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > M3 duct gearknob onto 335d?

09-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #45
NJ 1161
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D M3

Bmwx5- couple of questions. How much of you shaft did you cut off?? Cut off 3/4 inch of mine today but thought anymore surely the gearknob top would not go any further??

But more importantly in terms of the wiring.

I presume it's the 5 wires from the top connector in my pic, and then is it the Three or four white ones at the bottom of the blue triangle in pic , and these then join to the knob wires ( but only seven)

Presumably are some left unused from the wiring loom??
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #46
BMWx54.6
Rep
Drives: 335d

Hi
see the little ridges and the u shape cut out, i cut off just underneath that, however i might cut more off. looks so much better the lower it sits.

The wiring is the same as mine, so the blue connector is all the power cables and the wires into the white connector are the selector cables all of these will be used, its the gear knob wires that has 9 and 2 will be spare at the end

disregard the parts on the gear surround ie blue triangle and wires coming from that. its just the wires from the car your interested in
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #47
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWx54.6
Hi
see the little ridges and the u shape cut out, i cut off just underneath that, however i might cut more off. looks so much better the lower it sits.

The wiring is the same as mine, so the blue connector is all the power cables and the wires into the white connector are the selector cables all of these will be used, its the gear knob wires that has 9 and 2 will be spare at the end

disregard the parts on the gear surround ie blue triangle and wires coming from that. its just the wires from the car your interested in
Sorry. I know I'm being a bit thick but....

So the blue connector ( in my pic) I cut that and join to gearknob wires. Got that.

Do I then cut
A, the multi coloured wires with the blue sleeve before the white connector?
B, the predominantly white wires before the white connector at the bottom?
C, or cut the white wires at the base if the blue triangle and join these to the gearknob wires?

Cheers.
      09-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #48
BMWx54.6
Rep

Blue connector cut the wires, then wire them in to an electrical box in any order as you can see in my pics.
White connector cut the wires (ones with blue sleeve) this then has no contact with gear surround so put that to the side, again wire them in to a second electrical box also seen in my pics, there are now 2 boxes so your gear knob wires need to be wired in to both boxes so find the live feed which will from the first box (original blue connector) this will light up your gear knob once you have found the live you can then start to find the correct selector lights so remember to put the stick in the relevant position ie reverse, neutral etc before you find the correct light for that position so put it in reverse and then find the reverse light wire, this is all mix and match so you have to play around abit but once you figure it out it becomes easy
If this is still confusing i can try and do a video and talk through it and email it
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #49
BMWx54.6
Rep

Sorry ranting on abit there but just unplug the gear surround first then you have two small looms with a blue connector and a white connector cut them both off at the base of the connectors
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:18 AM   #50
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Nope. Got it now. Thanks again.