E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Obd Security Fix Available Now !!!

11-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Obd Security Fix Available Now !!!

Dear All,

All those with the affected OBD port with cloned keys etc. A fix is out.

I called Sytner Maidenhead today and I am booked for Monday for the update.

So if you are being fobbed off challenge your dealer.

Good luck.

BTW - I have an E92 335d 08
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Awesome! What does the update consist of dude and what sort of price are they charging? Do you know? Pm for details
      11-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

No charge and software update - soooooo it may (?) wipe your map if you have one, I am just guessing though.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

We know what the fix is. It's just coding to stop the window wind-down from the door lock.

Won't stop anyone nicking your car via OBD. They can just break the window (as most do anyway).

It's just lip service to keep watchdog happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

^^ That cant be the case surely ? Whats your source ?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Yes, sadly that is the case.

Best move your obd port, if you haven't already done so.

Search for 'obd port' in the search facility and you will find plenty of info on the supposed software fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I mean like WTF ???? I cant believe that.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

I have asked many BMW techs in Germany and States. None of them have 'explanation' as what does it actually do.

There are few vendors in USA which are updating the cars with V47.1 (outdated softwares) and claiming that it resolves the issues.

V47.5 is out and I do not know what does it really 'fix'.

Just for your peace of mind, hide the OBD port again after software update.
      11-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Back to plan A then lol
      11-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
I mean like WTF ???? I cant believe that.
Just like they say it doesn't effect cars before 2008, when what they mean is that it does effect them, but as they are over 5 years old, they are too old / worthless to bother updating!

They say it doesn't effect post 2011 models, but the online vendors of these key programmers claim they still work on all new models, so we'll see. Brand new 1M coupes have been filmed being nicked and they are after the cut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I have asked many BMW techs in Germany and States. None of them have 'explanation' as what does it actually do.
I'm sure its a UK-only fix in the UK. They only dreamt it up after watchdog, so I'm sure its not being driven by BMW AG.

When there's a class action lawsuit in the US then well see BMW getting reamed over it and 'magic' up a proper fix (for the US only of course) just like N54 fuel pumps.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

So it's taken them, what, 3 months to come up with this "fix"? Not being funny, but couldn't coders disable the windows winding down feature anyway?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Well Im booked in for Monday and will move OBD port after - 10 min jobby it seems anyway.

I called the OBD hotline at BMW 0800 083 4397 and they ouldnt tell me what the fix involved either.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I'm sure its a UK-only fix in the UK. They only dreamt it up after watchdog, so I'm sure its not being driven by BMW AG.

When there's a class action lawsuit in the US then well see BMW getting reamed over it and 'magic' up a proper fix (for the US only of course) just like N54 fuel pumps.

Can't agree more with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
So it's taken them, what, 3 months to come up with this "fix"? Not being funny, but couldn't coders disable the windows winding down feature anyway?

Any new coder on day 1 can do that TBH. No credit due to BMW for this 'fix'.
      11-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
Yes, according to my indy, disabling the window-down is codable with an autologic machine.

But BMW don't do 'coding' they just have an 'update vehicle' button on their machine that just updates everything that is updatable to a new integration level, no choice about it. So they will release a new 'integration level' which will update the relevant bits with new software containing different settings or configurations.

It avoids techs having to know anything about it, just plug it in and press go.

This is the dealership equvalent of 'computer says no'.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Just like they say it doesn't effect cars before 2008, when what they mean is that it does effect them, but as they are over 5 years old, they are too old / worthless to bother updating!

They say it doesn't effect post 2011 models, but the online vendors of these key programmers claim they still work on all new models, so we'll see. Brand new 1M coupes have been filmed being nicked and they are after the cut off.

Just spoke to them, gave them the date of my car Sept 07 and they said"yep that is on the list" Will be called by BMW to book it into Scothall BMW Milton Keynes, for what its worth!
      11-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
norman1979
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V8 M3

I hope they will be giving me a courtesy car
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #17
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Looks like the same does apply to the E9* series then!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=380

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman1979 View Post

dream on Fella,the amount of cars that are on the road with this problem, would probably equal the numbers of both Avis and Hertz of their entire stock of available cars as courtesy ones.

The update will probably only take about 30 mins,and is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

If it wasn't for the potential problems with my insurance company should it not be carried out,I wouldn't bother going anywhere near my dealer for the work to be done.

I've got to put the OBD port back in the proper position for the upgrade,faff.
Have the upgrade done,potentially lose my map ,probably lose my fold from the fob wing mirror function (I paid an indy to do),and then to make the car secure AGAIN,I have to put the OBD back to where it rightfully belongs,where some fucker can't find it!

What a load of bollocks for a £40k+ car.

BMW - Big Motherf*cker W*nk*rs / / /

No,I'm not bitter

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #19
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
dream on Fella,the amount of cars that are on the road with this problem, would probably equal the numbers of both Avis and Hertz of their entire stock of available cars as courtesy ones.

The update will probably only take about 30 mins,and is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

If it wasn't for the potential problems with my insurance company should it not be carried out,I wouldn't bother going anywhere near my dealer for the work to be done.

Have the upgrade done,potentially lose my map ,probably lose my fold from the fob wing mirror function (I paid an indy to do),and then to make the car secure AGAIN,I have to put the OBD back to where it rightfully belongs,where some fucker can't find it!

No,I'm not bitter
+1
      11-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
/ / /
I am glad that you did not miss out the M strip.
      11-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #21
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman1979 View Post
My dealer offered one (although the car is in for some trim repair under warranty - which will take roughly 25 seconds to fix!!).
SA said that depending on what other software was on the car, it updated more than one module, and was not only the security fix, so could take up to 3 hours.

They are picking the car up and delivering it back when it's done (a 38 mile round trip)

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

No,I'm not bitter
/ signed
Appreciate 0