E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > My favorite N52 Placebo

05-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

My favorite N52 Placebo

I changed the oil/filter, air filter and sprayed the MAF with MAF cleaner over the weekend.... The idle is smooth as new, and the throttle response is awesome. Noticeable difference, or... noticeable placebo
      05-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Oil changes usually have the most effect out of what you listed. Enjoy

My favorite placebo is a clutch stop & CDv remove

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

I don't notice anything when I change my oil! But then again I usually don't let my oil get anywhere close to being "old/used".
      05-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanize View Post
I don't notice anything when I change my oil! But then again I usually don't let my oil get anywhere close to being "old/used".
Me either, typically around 8000 miles, and I change the oil filter halfway through that. The first time I changed the oil in the sun and saw how gunky it gets in the filter housing, I lost all faith that the filter lasts the whole interval.
      05-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
OP maybe not placebo. I did something similar over the weekend as my engine was acting like a drama queen...mild surges at cold start idle, rough downshifts when slowing down. Changed the air filter, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the vanos solenoids, Much better now and not placebo.

Below is a pic of my K&N filter, a year since last cleaned and oiled. It was so bad I decided to put a paper filter in as I think it will take a while to clean and dry this one completely (maybe it will be permanently retired). Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a pic of the outer section of the airbox: full of grime and 6-8 yellow jackets (insects). wtf, I guess I live in Florida.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow, that thing took a beating.

I had an issue years ago gunking up a MAF on a gm car with a k&n filter because of the oil (out of the box). I know some people swear by them, but it isn't worth the hassle for me. At the end of the day, with the charcoal filter out of there I doubt a clean paper filter is holding the engine back, based on the inlet size of the box.
      05-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
I doubt a clean paper filter is holding the engine back, based on the inlet size of the box.
I agree. Not to mention the down time of cleaning and drying out. With our humidity, the cleaning process takes almost an entire day.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
bimmerquick43321
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
I agree. Not to mention the down time of cleaning and drying out. With our humidity, the cleaning process takes almost an entire day.
I have a trick for that once you wash it up

1. First go outside and shake off the excess water take your time and make sure no droplets of water fall when you move it around

2. Take a blow dryer, put it on lowest blowing setting and use only cold air (there's usually a button to stop the heating of the air)

3. Turn the filter on it's back meaning you blow as the air would go in the engine and put it on some paper towels or something.

4. Start the blow dryer as mentioned above, keep a good distance, (btw if there's high winds outside that also works just leaving it outside obviously not on it's backside.

5. Depending on how well you did step1 keep doing step 4 for around 10-15+ minutes.

6. Once done make sure it's dried

7. Apply the oil on the filter

8. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to remove any excess oil on the filter.

That's it, worked fine for me for 2 years, I have no symptoms of a dirty MAF.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecbain
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
I have a trick for that once you wash it up

1. First go outside and shake off the excess water take your time and make sure no droplets of water fall when you move it around

2. Take a blow dryer, put it on lowest blowing setting and use only cold air (there's usually a button to stop the heating of the air)

3. Turn the filter on it's back meaning you blow as the air would go in the engine and put it on some paper towels or something.

4. Start the blow dryer as mentioned above, keep a good distance, (btw if there's high winds outside that also works just leaving it outside obviously not on it's backside.

5. Depending on how well you did step1 keep doing step 4 for around 10-15+ minutes.

6. Once done make sure it's dried

7. Apply the oil on the filter

8. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to remove any excess oil on the filter.

That's it, worked fine for me for 2 years, I have no symptoms of a dirty MAF.
thanks, good ideas
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

I cleaned my K&N in my eurobox recently. I just put in an old paper unit that's not too bad and give the filter a good week or so to dry outside the car. Haven't done the vanos yet will have to look into that one...

I just changed my plugs at 74K miles and there is a definite improvment in the responsiveness of the engine.
Appreciate 0