E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Your washer water is trying to kill you

06-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Shadow
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90

Your washer water is trying to kill you

Apparently windscreen washer water is a likely cause of Legionnaire's Disease.

Researchers claim that "professional drivers are five times more likely to be infected." - but did they control for whether the cars in question had air conditioning or not? Given the stagnant smell that air-con can produce on a hot day, I'd be more worried about what was being living in the AC vents than what was living in the screenwash bottle (especially if as they recommend, you use a decent screenwash, they are mostly isopropyl alcohol or just ethanol).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

That report was really poorly written up, I have no clue what they are trying to say?

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Yet more guff from the department to make you worry. Seems like every week there is more research published on the things that can kill. Suprised I've lasted this long really, must be because I always use screenwash
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
Yet more guff from the department to make you worry. Seems like every week there is more research published on the things that can kill. Suprised I've lasted this long really, must be because I always use screenwash
+1 Chris. Buggered if I know how we all made it to adult hood without being wiped out by foreign bacteria, eating the wrong foods, breathing in the wrong 'smells' (we all do that daily I reckon), not being run over by a bus, managing to walk without a H&S handbook...........

Mind you sex is bad for you the way they prattle on so maybe the human race will die out and job done.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I must be lucky, had sex in the 80s and didn't get aids, nor did I get a spongey brain from eating burgers/kebabs and neither swine/bird flu has killed me off either. I think a lot of these are people trying to justify their 'research'
Appreciate 0