E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > 3L twin turbo engine - which model next?

05-14-2007, 04:21 AM   #23
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post

Very true though.

With such brilliant M & twin turbo engines today, we can certainly look forward to an exciting future of BMW development.

Cheers.

Nooooooooooo!!!!. An "M" should be naturally aspirated. It's a true reflection of what they can get out of a motor. I read somewhere many years ago from a director of BMW that they would never go down the track of adding turbo's or superchargers. Doing that meant they had developed the engine to the end of it's potential. So does that mean the straight in-line six is dead ???? Will they go to a V6 ???. I hope not. BMW have earned a wonderfull reputation for their in-line 6's
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 04:36 AM   #24
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
Nooooooooooo!!!!. An "M" should be naturally aspirated. It's a true reflection of what they can get out of a motor. I read somewhere many years ago from a director of BMW that they would never go down the track of adding turbo's or superchargers. Doing that meant they had developed the engine to the end of it's potential. So does that mean the straight in-line six is dead ???? Will they go to a V6 ???. I hope not. BMW have earned a wonderfull reputation for their in-line 6's
I agree. An M is BMW’s opportunity to showcase their design brilliance. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the M3 CSL still has the highest power to litre ratio of any normally aspirated engine.

BM’s straight sixes are legendary so I expect that they will continue for years to come.

Oh, did you hear that the 335i recently won International Best Engine of the Year?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 05:24 AM   #25
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
what's wrong with the Z4M?
Nothings really wrong with it, its a good car, it's just a little overweight. Drop a few hundred kilo's and you've got an amazing car!
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 05:26 AM   #26
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
I agree. An M is BMW’s opportunity to showcase their design brilliance. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the M3 CSL still has the highest power to litre ratio of any normally aspirated engine.

BM’s straight sixes are legendary so I expect that they will continue for years to come.

Oh, did you hear that the 335i recently won International Best Engine of the Year?

Cheers.
Yeah the bi-turbo is a top engine, but i am also a subscriber to the M philosophy of naturally aspirated. Gotta love those I6's too
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #27
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
Yeah the bi-turbo is a top engine, but i am also a subscriber to the M philosophy of naturally aspirated. Gotta love those I6's too
Same the S54B32 won 6 years in a row
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #28
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the M3 CSL still has the highest power to litre ratio of any normally aspirated engine.
Nope...I think the original AP1 Honda S2000 still gets the nod with 120 horses per litre...

Although the M3 CSL is very impressive in it's own right 360 horses for a 3.2 litre works out to 112.5 horses per litre.
Appreciate 0