E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > High gloss trim replaced but...

04-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #45
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
After this experience am I of the opinion that they simply don't give a fuck.

My question is, what are you doing to make up for the inconvenience/hassle?
I think that is the nail on the head. It is like the small print that says "loss of earnings etc etc is not the responsibility of the service provider/company"

Actions of staff (whether human error or incompetence) can have inflated implications on the customer. Hassle, time taken off work to rectify, many £s on phone calls, miles added to cars depreciation and fuel costs, days without a purchased vehicle, loan cars, etc. A good business manager should jump at the chance to try and change the situation. Are there many around? Do company franchises allow for such care?

If like me you mark every imperfection in the paint work of the car. Ive started detailing my car. I would be mortified to find someone had damaged the paintwork.

I get your red mist approach.

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #46
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ab View Post
Had the same piece trim replaced by Sytner High Wycombe due to bubbling. Worse job than yours. The trim didn't fit, obvious to see, some of the clips weren't clipped in and lots of wind noise. The centre piece (between the front and back windows) and the straight piece at the bottom of the window were scratched in the process. So mistakes happen but how did it pass inspection? No real apology, eventually all trim replaced.

I also found after having alpine upgrade that a whole number of screws were left in boot.

When my tyre pressure warning kept going off I got the tyres checked and was told that they were ok only to discover a nail in a tyre whilst in France, puncture repair no more TPS warning.

My point is that mistakes happen but there is rarely any genuine apology.

My car has been in to the dealer 4 times and I have had problems 3 times, that is not just down to bad luck. Could be due to any number of reasons. My thoughts as to possibilities.
1. Poor staff attitude, they don't care
2. Too much pressure on staff to get jobs done quickly
3. Poor training
4. Poor supervision
5. A gypsy curse
6. Poor attitude as no one cares and no repercussions

Feel free to add.
Funny that. I was told they've never heard of/seen that happen before.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #47
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ab View Post
Feel free to add.
Captive market that breeds complacency. BMW will always sell a shit load of cars and the dealers have a failry captive market on all the new cars sold with regards to servicing and other work due to warranty periods. I guess this means they really don't have to care all that much.
      04-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #48
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Cripes. I have a similar issue where the surface is starting to peel on a bit of high gloss trim around the rear 3/4 window.
I was going to ask for it to be replaced next time the car is at the dealers, but if there's a risk it will cause that much damage to the paint, I'm thinking I should just probably live with it as it is now?????
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #49
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I have never found a dealer that I've been happy with regardless of what car brand.

As mentioned before most people working in these garages are poorly paid people who are either not skilled enough or just too poorly paid to be bothered to give a shit.

My car is back in the dealer on Monday to get some additional warranty work carried out.

The rest of the work is due to them. When replacing. The actuators they have to remove the suspension. Afterwards the steering wheel has to be held at 3 degrees to run straight.

They also put a deep scratch on the wing. They used a scratch stick to hide it and never bothered to admit it.

So far I'm quite shocked at the quality of the technicians.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 02:46 AM   #50
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

has anyone contacted BMW themselves with these problems
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 03:04 AM   #51
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
I certainly have not. Do you think it would achieve anything?

Last edited by toxicnerve; 04-17-2011 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 03:48 AM   #52
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Nasty job that.

Your problem here is that they will probably go for those scratches with a spot pad on a rotary and will remove a fair amount of clear coat to get them out. The paint thickness on the edge of the panels and shaped areas is at its thinnest anyway.

Ask for and witness paint thickness gauge readings before and after.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:01 AM   #53
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
Nasty job that.

Your problem here is that they will probably go for those scratches with a spot pad on a rotary and will remove a fair amount of clear coat to get them out. The paint thickness on the edge of the panels and shaped areas is at its thinnest anyway.

Ask for and witness paint thickness gauge readings before and after.
This has been a concern of mine from the outset.

When I had issues last year with paintwork etc I am sure all they did was apply heat, use some flatting paper and then polish up. So I wonder what thickness I have on those two pieces? Fuck all I expect.

I wish I hadn't bought into "we're a BMW main dealer" crap and gone to Sira (a reputable body-shop that deals with a fair amount of exotica by all accounts).

How much of a reduction in thickness is acceptable? I'm not a pro-detailer so I wouldn't know how much is ok to loose...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 04:24 AM   #54
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
Quote:
I certainly have not. Do you think it would achieve anything?
BMW Uk have been known to get involved when the dealer has failed to solve a problem to a customers satisfaction. I wouldn't rule it out. Surely all you need to do in this case is explain to Sytner what would be a satisfactory outcome for you, escalating up to dealer principle if necessary, - then if you don't get agreement, go to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #55
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This has been a concern of mine from the outset.

When I had issues last year with paintwork etc I am sure all they did was apply heat, use some flatting paper and then polish up. So I wonder what thickness I have on those two pieces? Fuck all I expect.

I wish I hadn't bought into "we're a BMW main dealer" crap and gone to Sira (a reputable body-shop that deals with a fair amount of exotica by all accounts).

How much of a reduction in thickness is acceptable? I'm not a pro-detailer so I wouldn't know how much is ok to loose...
You should see a minimum of 100 microns (ideally 120 - 130) in the middle of the panel - 85 - 90 minimum at the bottom of the panel. Edges may be down to 80.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #56
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
You should see a minimum of 100 microns (ideally 120 - 130) in the middle of the panel - 85 - 90 minimum at the bottom of the panel. Edges may be down to 80.
Cheers,

How much is acceptable to lose in correcting the issue by the rear quarter window?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #57
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The finish is made up from paint and clear coat. Roughly these are 50/50 in terms of the overall finish so if you start with 110μm you have, say 55 - 60μm of clear.

Each time the car is polished a bit of clear coat is removed - the more correction required then more clear coat needs to be removed so if the dealer needs to aggressivly polish this area then it will reduce the life of the finish - i.e. you can only polish an area so many times before you burn though.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #58
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Hrm. So the answer is "as little as possible".

Awaiting a response from Sytner that is acceptable. I get the feeling all they envisage doing is replacing the trim, polishing out the marks and leaving it at that.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #59
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

We are disappointed that we completed the job without noticing the scratches; our technicians are expected to report any issues, however in this case a human error has occurred.

I'm sorry that I was not able to post a more helpful reply over the weekend as I was away on personal leave, we acted on this first thing this morning.

Anneka
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #60
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Anneka,

No one here (especially myself) is blaming you for the situation, I hope that much is clear. You, as always, do your best with the resources you have and it is always appreciated.

However, it seems there's an issue with quality control in general. I was previously let down and assurances were given that this was a one off/things would be addressed. I then take my car in for a trim replacement which, lets face it, should be a fairly straight forward job and have been let down again.

When I spoke to Peter on Friday I was, admittedly, not in the best of moods. But his response and (at least perceived) apathy to the situation only served to aggravate me more.

I don't like the "we're sorry, we'll sort it. What more do you want" approach that was taken as it simply shows contempt for customers. There's little to no thought given other than to "put it right". Putting things right is the absolute minimum and that's how I see it.

Has the DP had a chance to look at the situation (in the context of my past experiences too) and pass judgement as to what should happen/what can be done to prevent this kind of thing happening in the future?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 03:06 AM   #61
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Anneka,

I tried to PM but your inbox must be full.

It's now been over two and a half weeks since my car was originally for the trim replacement and I've heard nothing from Amy or Peter. I appreciate that we've had a couple of Bank Holidays in there but surely someone should have been in touch to let me know what's going on?

Poor workmanship followed by poor communication...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 03:28 AM   #62
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

Amy's sorry, she was away over Easter, she's catching up with her jobs now and she'll give you a call to arrange the appointment later on today.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #63
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Cheers Anneka,

I await her call...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #64
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

"sorry" seems to be a word that is being used a lot .... I totally understand where the OP is coming from and swift effective actions would be much more useful. Not withstanding the fact that this never should have happened in the first place, damaged trim pieces and damaged vehicle seems a bit more than the tech made a human error, he appears to have made a human error in many places on this job and the OP should have explanations of why this has happened.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #65
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Look,

When I spanner my own car I apply protection tape over the panels.
E.g. pulling a front strut, the edge of the wheelarch and inside paint gets taped up.
No matter how careful, you WILL slip with that spanner or wrench at some time.

It's basic stuff.

Kick their lazy arses.

Imagine if a few of my collegues driving nuke reactors decided they couldn't be arsed one day.

Think about that...
      05-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #66
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Cheers Anneka,

I await her call...
Did you get your date with Amy?

I though you were already handcuffed?

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0