E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 Pre-LCI Halogen to LCI Non AHL Xenon In Depth Conversion

11-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #89
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Alright. It's been a while since I worked on this project. I figured out how to open the housings pretty cleanly without any damage to the plastic. This motivated me to finish the wiring on the headlights. I took a junk harness from an e92 headlight and a junk harness from a trunk lid and put these babies together. They allowed me to build a 2 to 1 pin conversion so I could have both the grounds running in pin 4. It is completely reversible. The other thing I did was solder the wire for pin 7 to pin 12 so the 3 corner lights only come on when my blinkers do. I figured this would increase the life of the leds and be unique. On to the pics.

Before soldering the harness for one side.

After

Completed harness for other side

All plugged in

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #90
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
BTW for those who are wondering how hard this conversion is for pre-lci xenon to LCI xenon, its pretty much plug and play. You'd only have to get coded to get rid of the bulb check functions and wire the 3 LED's if you want them to function. Other than that everything works as normal.
Awesome news. Am reading this thread now to verify the steps for pre LCI xenon to LCI xenon headlamp swap. Is there a trusted DIY?

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #91
Bartholometicus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 e91 320d

To go from pre-lci xenon to lci-xenon all you have to do is swap pin 5 and 6 I think. Also, to get it fully working you should get a new FRM.

I've gone from pre-lci halogen to lci-xenon by following the steps in the first post. Thanks a lot for the instructions people.

I do have one question. A friend is just upgrading his pre-lci halogens to pre-lci xenon, all he needs to do is tap pin 4 to pin 2 right? Except, he doesnt have a pin where pin 2 should be. Where can we get that pin? Or is it possible to just tap pin 4 and take this wire straight over into the headlight body to where pin 2 leads to?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 03:19 AM   #92
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Looking to go from prelci halogen to ahl lci xenon now... or sell the car, one or the other

Why can't we just follow the official retrofit guides, and get the corresponding parts to do the retrofit?

I.e. first follow the prelci halogen to prelci ahl xenon pdf guide. Then get the prelci to lci headlight and taillight retrofit cables. With the FRM3 of course.

Is 61359286887 the correct FRM3 for LED/AHL? Can't find much info on that part. (edit, NiVeDh said in another post that all FRM3s are the same, completely capable). Also, can I retrofit only the lci headlight but not the lci taillight? Would the FRM3 cause the prelci taillights to go crazy?

Last edited by dylim; 03-04-2013 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #93
mammothboarderdc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i Sport

Oh wow. I want to do this on my car.. sounds like a summer job to me. Im challenged when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #94
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothborderdc View Post
Oh wow. I want to do this on my car.. sounds like a summer job to me. Im challenged when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Hey, if everything goes well I should have completed this by summer time Or have sold the car, I keep going back and forth. Anyways, if I've completed it and you drive up to the bay area, I'll be happy to give you a hand.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #95
mammothboarderdc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylim View Post
Hey, if everything goes well I should have completed this by summer time Or have sold the car, I keep going back and forth. Anyways, if I've completed it and you drive up to the bay area, I'll be happy to give you a hand.
I wouldn't even know where to get the lci xenon headlights and ballast for a decent price.. haha. But if I do ill definitely hit you up. thanks man.

I actually just ordered LCI halogens from ECS tuning(which are plug n play with pre-lci), so I think I'm going to rep them until I can get my hands on everything I need for the lci xenon project.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #96
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335i

Garage List
Pics please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
Join pin #1 to pin #7 to get the 3 LED's to function, they will turn on whenever your angel eyes are on. All wiring can be done inside the headlight with wiretaps (since the headlight harness won't have a wire for pin 7 on a non LCI car) and is completely reversible. I have pics if the OP needs them.
Can you please send pics of how you tapped these wires. I don't know how I can do it inside the headlights. I have the same xenons as mr. e90 an I can't take my wiring harness out of the headlights. Can I do it externally? If not then I will have to take that harness out. THanks

Edit it was easier then I thought!

11' 335i -M-Sport/LeMans Blue Metallic/Sport/Premium/AT - Current
06' 325i -Base/Arctic Metallic/MT - Retired

Last edited by yEBMW; 04-01-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #97
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.e90 View Post
i just tapped red wire from AE harness to the white wire from the umnitza and black with brown..hopefully this pic helps

i didn't move any wires for my high beams..NIvedh coded the lights and coded them so that they use the inner bulbs he said
So you are saying that you never swapped pin 5 and 6? Cause I did and I am having problems such as my cornering lights won't turn on at all even after coding and I can't get ccid -130 and 128 which is for the high beams to go away. Can you let me know what you did exactly to get the yours to work. What coding did NIvedh do to get the inner bulbs? I think I know but I would like to see your frm.man so I can compare them. Thanks

11' 335i -M-Sport/LeMans Blue Metallic/Sport/Premium/AT - Current
06' 325i -Base/Arctic Metallic/MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #98
Dtype
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Hi.
I search on this forums and other and haven't found any answer for this:
I have a e91 2007 non-lci. I already had change my original frm1 for a frm3 and everything is working. Today I was to retrofit lci headlights (non-lci xenons to lci xenons) and when I plug new headlight my right side light (coronas ring) was always off. I search for error and get always short circuit on right side light. I did reset to short circuit with tool32, plug my original headlight and everything fine, plug again new headlight and error again. I've searched in ista for wiring dioramas and it's all the same between non and lci headlights, except for pin7 for 3 side leds, and pin6
This is for non lci halogen high beam. I connect 12v line direct to coronas rings and work perfectly, change left side to right side headlight and vice versa and get always same error. Check continuity between headlight plug and frm plug and it's ok.
Yesterday try to plug new headlight on a frieds car and his mother car (an e87 and an e91 too), booth with frm1 and rings turn on for 5 seconds and than they go off.
Someone have this problem?
Its just coding?
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:20 PM   #99
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

Quote:
ha well i finally got the coding done and xenons don't turn off anymore. I am also gona just solder the wires that are tappedd together to get a better conection and just glue the umnitza rings...i will post up pics this comming week hopefully lol
So I'm trying to convert lci halogens to lci xenons with adaptive xenon headlights (I don't care for the adaptive functioning enough to retrofit it). Anyways, is it the same as retrofitting prelci halogens? All I need to do is swap 5&6, 2&4, 7&12? Anything else besides coding?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:23 PM   #100
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ha well i finally got the coding done and xenons don't turn off anymore. I am also gona just solder the wires that are tappedd together to get a better conection and just glue the umnitza rings...i will post up pics this comming week hopefully lol
So I'm trying to convert lci halogens to lci xenons with adaptive xenon headlights (I don't care for the adaptive functioning enough to retrofit it). Anyways, is it the same as retrofitting prelci halogens? All I need to do is swap 5&6, 2&4, 7&12? Anything else besides coding?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 12:04 AM   #101
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
You can tap it that way. Or might be easier to tap em closer to the headlight connector?

Is there some kind of connector where you can push the 2 pins in and it outputs to 1 pin. This way no tapping will be required and just a cleaner way of doing things.
Need some help. So from what I understand, is that when tapping pins 7 and 12 the 3 side LEDs will stay on whenever the angel eyes are on, right? Is there a way to get them to stay on whenever the headlights are turned (basically when parking lights are turned on) so it'll look as OEM as possible
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #102
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you help with coding? What software is needed or if there is someone out there i can pay that will do it for me? I have the INPA cable and the basic ncs expert software. Please help, this is the last thing in order to get my retrofit finished. I have stock lci halogens and converting to non adaptive lci xenons. They turn on fine when the car is off, but begin to flicker when the car is turned on I'm assuming because it needs to be coded.

PS IM WILLING TO PAY SOMEONE
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #103
mattoak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Has anyone helped you with this? I'm doing a similar conversion but I have Depo LCI Xenons (and a FRM2). My problem is the Depo housings have the 3 LED's wired to the side LED bank so they both have to light up together. And the Depo housings have the traditional halogen high beam plug wired to the Xenon shutter.

I was hoping to be able to code the side LED off and only have it turn on with the turn signal, but keep the 3 LED's on all the time. Also I was hoping to have the inner halogen bulb turn on during flash to pass (pulling the stalk) but then have the bi-xenon shutter operate for high beams when pushing the stalk and leaving them on. My Depo housing obviously don't have enough pins on the connecting harness to do all this, but I would be able to add some for this functionality. I need to know what the E90 car headlight harness pin layout is so I can figure out how to wire up my headlight. Can you provide me with what your headligh connector harness looks like (the one on the car, NOT on your headlight)? That would help a ton! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 01:22 AM   #104
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmit2017 View Post
Can you help with coding? What software is needed or if there is someone out there i can pay that will do it for me? I have the INPA cable and the basic ncs expert software. Please help, this is the last thing in order to get my retrofit finished. I have stock lci halogens and converting to non adaptive lci xenons. They turn on fine when the car is off, but begin to flicker when the car is turned on I'm assuming because it needs to be coded.

PS IM WILLING TO PAY SOMEONE
Did you do it ? i am exactly in the same boat, from LCI halogen to LCI xenon AHL ( I dont want that AHL function ). Any help please !
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 06:12 AM   #105
Robiovic
Rep
Drives: E92

I have read a few threads about the xenon conversion but don't find the answer to my question.
I have 2008 pre-LCI e92, 330D 170kW, with adaptive(turning) bixenons.
I have done with constantly changing xenon bulbs, I have tried expensive ones, cheap ones, but still not satisfied with them, they change intensity and color over time and they are time-consuming to be swapped(you must go under the wheel arches etc).
And now, passenger xenon burns out, I have bought ELTA xenon (cheap, but Europe manufacturer), and immediately after 20min of driving, the xenon bulb start's to flicker, and after a while goes off completely. Every new trip(the next day), same story...flickering(switching on and off very quickly) and then going off completely. Looks like the ballast is going to die and I don't want to put in HID any more time and money.

My solution is to go BiLed swap(probably NHK projector, original parabolas is probably burned out to some degree anyway), and here is my question:
The original ballast has 4pin square connector(IN) and a connector to HID (cable with shielding). I have to know what are all 4 wires that go into the converter. I'm assuming two cables are plus and negative, but what are those other two? It's some kind of communication?
I can put NHK BiLed projector in those 12V power supplies cables (yellow and black I guess) that go into the original ballast, but don't know if it will be an error-free conversion.
I won't be messing with the rest of the wiring inside the headlight unit(no angel eyes mod, nothing, only swapping HID to LED projector.
Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0