E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > CrC Intake valve cleaning

04-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
mo2566
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 VW GTI

CrC Intake valve cleaning

I saw this at my local autozone yesterday.

http://crcindustries.com/auto/intake-valve-cleaner.php

It seems like a pretty new product. I am sure it won't totally clean carbon buildup, but I am wondering for $8 (on sale) if its worth me doing before doing a true valve cleaning to make the job easier? What do you guys think?

I picked up a 90k mile 08 335i a couple weeks ago and want to clean the valves. I called my local BMW and they only offer the BG44 induction service for $199 (not the walnut shell method)

If not the CRC intake valve cleaner, I might even pay to have the BG44k induction service done, then go in and finish the job with some brushes. (besides getting some of the carbon buildup, The BG44k should take care of the manifold and throttle body, right?)

The CRC directions per their website are:

1.Start engine and meet operating temperature.
2.Remove air filter cover.
3.Locate MAF sensor between the air box and throttle body.
4.Engage (lift) the straw on the PermaStraw Dual-Action Spray System and insert PAST THE MAF SENSOR. To avoid throwing a code, DO NOT spray product in front of the MAF sensor. You may need to disassemble air intake to administer past the MAF sensor.
5. With engine running at 2,000 RPM, spray product into air intake, behind the MAF sensor, continuously for 30 second intervals until can is empty. If necessary, accelerate to avoid engine stalling during spray period. DO NOT exceed 3,500 RPM. Take care not to burn arm or hand on hot engine surfaces while dispensing can.
6.Once can is empty, accelerate the engine 2 to 3 times without exceeding 3,500 RPM.
7.Run at idle for one minute, then turn engine off.
8.Reassemble air intake system and let engine heat-soak for one hour.
9.Restart engine and drive at highway speeds for at least 10 minutes.

Since their is no MAF sensor on my car, I'm assuming I would just spray into TB like the BG44k?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

tagging along.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

Sounds decent in theory. Practice is another story though. Definitely worth a try though.

Trouble is, I don't think we'll ever know if it actually works. Some people can go 75k miles with no buildup, while others are gunked up at 40k. Unless someone disassembles their engine to take pictures, then reassembles and tries this, then disassembles again... (which I would never do, having gone through that torture once already)
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
mo2566
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker87 View Post
Sounds decent in theory. Practice is another story though. Definitely worth a try though.

Trouble is, I don't think we'll ever know if it actually works. Some people can go 75k miles with no buildup, while others are gunked up at 40k. Unless someone disassembles their engine to take pictures, then reassembles and tries this, then disassembles again... (which I would never do, having gone through that torture once already)
Agreed, I wish I had a camera like the dealerships to snake in and snap some pics before running it, then after. (obviously without having to disassemble everything)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
chili36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

This will do little to nothing at best.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
mo2566
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I had my car into BMW today to diagnose an oil leak and we looked in the computer and it appears no valve cleaning was ever done so I had the bg44k air/fuel induction service done to chip away at the carbon. I'll be changing my OFH gasket in the next few weeks and will be checking my valves for carbon while I am at it. I plan to take some pics of how the bg44k service actually did. I don't have a before picture but can only imagine it was pretty bad at 90k if no service had ever been done.

I still may buy a can of the crc intake valve cleaner and see if it cleans better than carb cleaner when I have the manifold off.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
You'd want to spray after the TMAP sensor on the TB which is easier said than done. You'd almost be better off spraying directly into the intake manifold but I doubt you'd get proper atomization.

Nothing beats the tried and true walnut shell blast, might be a bit more expensive but it's guaranteed to fix the gunked up valves where most "valve cleaners" aren't aggressive enough to eat at the carbon.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
mo2566
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
You'd want to spray after the TMAP sensor on the TB which is easier said than done. You'd almost be better off spraying directly into the intake manifold but I doubt you'd get proper atomization.

Nothing beats the tried and true walnut shell blast, might be a bit more expensive but it's guaranteed to fix the gunked up valves where most "valve cleaners" aren't aggressive enough to eat at the carbon.
Thanks, they don't offer the walnut blasting which is why I went with the induction service, but you can bet I'll be in there scrubbing whatever it missed with my gun cleaning kit I picked up this morning!
Appreciate 0