E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bad brakes or forgetful dealership?

10-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Voight-Kampff
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 328i & 2017 230i

Bad brakes or forgetful dealership?

So, I bought a CPO e92 last month. Being completely and utterly brand new to BMW, I didn't realize until the first day after I took delivery that the central display was showing one of those "!" exclamation/warning messages. Well, being a freshly CPOed vehicle, I assumed it was nothing big. I checked the manual as to what it was (a check/service brakes message), and cleared the message.

I thought that's all there was to the issue. But just the other day, for the first time, I paid attention to the display while starting the vehicle. And it was displaying a "-800" in the miles section. Checking the computer, it's still saying that the brakes need servicing (now 800 miles past due).

So I'm wondering: is this just a condition that the dealership forgot to reset during their CPO process? Does the computer simply count down the miles to determine serving for brakes? Or does the computer have some way of sensing wear and/or trouble in the brake system, and it really detected a problem a day after I took delivery?

All that being said, I can't discern any particular problem with the brakes. They seem strong and they don't make any noise or appear to exhibit any unusual behavior. But I'm curious to know what the more learned have to say about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Voight-Kampff
Rep

In the event that anyone comes across this, I seem to have found the answer.

I used this to clear out the service reminder:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51049

Once I did, that particular metric was reset to 30,000 miles. So, it seems that it simply was a count-down reminder to check the brakes. Since it didn't go off by the time of the CPO process, they likely forgot to reset the value, thus it popped up just after I took delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
RedDinan335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Red 335i Coupe

How many miles on the car? I'm not sure CPO indicates that brakes would/should have been changed prior to delivery. Wouldn't want you running around on worn breaks for the next 30k.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

If the sensor had contacted, the warning would return quickly. Most plausible explanation is that they serviced the brakes and forgot to reset the computer.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
bimmer14
Rep
Drives: 2006 300i

The light comes on from a sensor...it is not a milage "countdown". Before blowing this off, I would take a good look at the pads on the associated light (ie front or back) if they are new, it will be obvious as the pad will be thick. If you can't see the pad, you should take it in for a check.

CPO doesn't mean fresh brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Voight-Kampff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer14 View Post
The light comes on from a sensor...it is not a milage "countdown". Before blowing this off, I would take a good look at the pads on the associated light (ie front or back) if they are new, it will be obvious as the pad will be thick. If you can't see the pad, you should take it in for a check.

CPO doesn't mean fresh brakes.
Presumably, if the sensor that caused this in the first place is working properly, and I cleared out the code, wouldn't the sensor report the problem again shortly thereafter—as Meeni suggested?

That being said, when I get a chance, I'll take a close look at the brakes to see if I can at least still see the pads. If not, well...maybe I can use it as an excuse to look into a nice Brembo upgrade.
Appreciate 0