E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d's using b100

View Poll Results: Has B100 worked in your 335d:
Problem free? 1 100.00%
Problems with service department? 0 0%
Problems with the car? 0 0%
Problems with both Service and the car? 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

10-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #23
MNSuperAir
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

B20 is now standard issue in MN. So far no issues with the Cummins or 335d.
      10-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #24
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Ok ok so whats the scope can we or can we not? Im lost here ,help!!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #25
starrfyr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV Giga

Garage List
2014 i3 REx  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d
Go to Wendy's for the food if you like that sort of thing (I think they suck), but leave the french fry oil for the guys driving '06 and older VW TDI's. That juice is not for us. Personally, I wish it was but you can't cheat chemistry.

B-diesel is more electronegative than both the Dino and the lubricant. That means it bonds to the cylinder walls and gets into the sump and makes a mess. Also, B-diesel has a vapor point slightly higher than Dino and that trashes DPF's. For example, an '06 VW Golf with the 1.9l pump-duese can B100 all day long. The '09 VW Golf with the 2.0l CR can only run B10. The differences between the 2 motors, an HPFP (which is unaffected by bio-diesel) and a DPF that will fail.

My '10 Jetta TDI never saw a drop of bio and neither will my '11 d.

On another note ... I think the OP should run 3-4 tankfuls of B100 and then tell us how much a new DPF goes for. I've always wondered how much they cost.

2011 E90 M57y, ZPP, 248, 494, 655, 6FL
SOLD and will be missed
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #26
Merv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfyr
Quote:
Go to Wendy's for the food if you like that sort of thing (I think they suck), but leave the french fry oil for the guys driving '06 and older VW TDI's. That juice is not for us. Personally, I wish it was but you can't cheat chemistry.

B-diesel is more electronegative than both the Dino and the lubricant. That means it bonds to the cylinder walls and gets into the sump and makes a mess. Also, B-diesel has a vapor point slightly higher than Dino and that trashes DPF's. For example, an '06 VW Golf with the 1.9l pump-duese can B100 all day long. The '09 VW Golf with the 2.0l CR can only run B10. The differences between the 2 motors, an HPFP (which is unaffected by bio-diesel) and a DPF that will fail.

On another note ... I think the OP should run 3-4 tankfuls of B100 and then tell us how much a new DPF goes for. I've always wondered how much they cost.
Starrfyr - Sounds right to me.

I'm very particular about what I put in my tank. No bio-diesel for me if I can help it. The scary thing is more stations are adding up to B20 and that's a warranty nightmare if something ever went wrong. Personally I avoid any bio-diesel and buy diesel from reputable brands with the highest cetane rating. I've found Conoco out where I live to have good diesel and now and then I find BP to be good if its not #2 diesel. Exxon is hit and miss. Depends on where your local station gets their diesel from. But overall stick with fuel stations that are reputable. If you use bio-diesel make sure it's no more than B7. BMW didn't say that's their limit for no reason. Bio-diesel doesn't have a proper standard yet and until bio-diesel has higher standards for refining and can match fossil fuels I'd just stick with regular fossil diesel with no more than B5-B7.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #27
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Thanks Starr no wonder the guy that sells the bio conversion kit here in Puerto Rico would not sell it to me, he was very honest and told me your BMW will not work with BIO stuff, needless to say I would of love been able to SAVE some dinero there is BTW a new WENDY's near my house LOL aint that some crap the damn place is less than a mile from my home!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #28
starrfyr
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 i3 REx  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfyr
Quote:

Starrfyr - Sounds right to me.

I'm very particular about what I put in my tank. No bio-diesel for me if I can help it. The scary thing is more stations are adding up to B20 and that's a warranty nightmare if something ever went wrong. Personally I avoid any bio-diesel and buy diesel from reputable brands with the highest cetane rating. I've found Conoco out where I live to have good diesel and now and then I find BP to be good if its not #2 diesel. Exxon is hit and miss. Depends on where your local station gets their diesel from. But overall stick with fuel stations that are reputable. If you use bio-diesel make sure it's no more than B7. BMW didn't say that's their limit for no reason. Bio-diesel doesn't have a proper standard yet and until bio-diesel has higher standards for refining and can match fossil fuels I'd just stick with regular fossil diesel with no more than B5-B7.
Merv,

You are quite right when you say "diesel quality is hit and miss". Some people swear by different brands like Shell V-Power, BP, whatever. The first diesel I ever drove was my dad's '66 Peterbilt when I was 13 yrs old. He always said, "Son, I don't care what the ***damn brand is as long as you buy from a station that doesn't let it sit you'll be fine." I buy from a 76 on the highway because they do volume and they're cheaper than Shell. But I ain't knocking Shell or anyone else as long as that juice doesn't sit in that damn holding tank, it's good juice.

SOLD and will be missed
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #29
starrfyr
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 i3 REx  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks Starr no wonder the guy that sells the bio conversion kit here in Puerto Rico would not sell it to me, he was very honest and told me your BMW will not work with BIO stuff, needless to say I would of love been able to SAVE some dinero there is BTW a new WENDY's near my house LOL aint that some crap the damn place is less than a mile from my home!!!
You're welcome PR. Personally, I'd love to run bio and maybe someday we will. I got into diesel for Bio. My primary reason for stubbornly sticking to the d, not ONE CENT for (imported) gasoline. If I could extend that to foreign oil by using Bio I'd be pleased as Hell. Maybe in the future ...

SOLD and will be missed
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #30
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

VW ran some tests on biodiesel and found that high levels of fuel dilution didn't cause significant wear to the engine or problems with DPF longevity. In fact bio was found to tax the DPF less. In anycase the issiu with bio is a lack of standards. IIRC the EPA doesn't have specific quality standards. My guess is that BMW was thinking worst case (backyard bio) when deciding on an acceptable concentration.

The VW articles were in a Lubricant Industry periodical.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #31
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
The VW articles were in a Lubricant Industry periodical.
Not the same articles, but based on the VW studies: http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/art...ction-problem/
      11-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #32
efdiesel3s
Halle Berry or Hallelujah
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '11 335d, '93 fd3s, '90 e30 m3

I personally would not run this b100 because it specifically says in the service and warranty information not to. BMW advanced diesels use high pressure piezo injection system designed to be used with ultra low sulfur diesel fuel. They didn't design the motor to crank out 400 torque on b100. You can use biofuel but specifically states bio fuel is acceptable to 5%(B5). If you use the other fuels I'm sure they'll work and your car is not going to experience catastrophic failure immediately. But if you do own this car and plan on keeping it, your car's fuel system will take a dump sooner than someone not using b100.

even searching biodiesel on wikipedia : "Biodiesel can be used in pure form (B100) or may be blended with petroleum diesel at any concentration in most injection pump diesel engines. New extreme high-pressure (29,000 psi) common rail engines have strict factory limits of B5 or B20, depending on manufacturer."

Your 2003 VW was a unit injector type. Anything after 2007 in VW would be common rail.

Last edited by efdiesel3s; 11-06-2012 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 0