E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 ICE

06-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
E90Yaz
Torque Monster
England
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo

E90 ICE

Hi guys, as those of u who read my initial post will know i'm after an autovogue BMW and so i went up there today and put my specs in. Just wondering what the standard sound system is like?? Is there aftermarket stuff out ther that will allow me to connect my ipod....I just dont like the idea of the auxiliary port becuase u still have to use the ipod to change track etc... in my eyes thats the same as using ur mobile while driving....leading to...cRASH BANG BANG BOOM! So i'd like to know how the standard speakers are and can an amplifier be hooked up to the standard head unit...as i have an alpine amp and 4 alpine type r speakers....they sound lovely...if the stock system is no good...i would like to put them in. CHEERS FOR YOUR HELP GUYS!!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Hi. Cheap and upgrade do not go together on the E90. But there are partial steps you can take.

what I will say is the standard sound on 2005-2008 E90 is quite parp. If you have hifi or logic7 upgrades then its quite good, but just the 'business' or 'professional' setups are very iffy in terms of quality.

You could get something like the kensington liquidAUX for your iPod. Its still iPod control to select the artist/playlist but then you get a wireless remote you can attach to the wheel that starts,stops, ffwd, rwind, and adjust the shuffle settings etc so once on the road its all done via the steering wheel. Not bad for £30! Google it.

If you want to hook up your speakers via the standard wiring, its an option, but you need to create a custom baffle to hold the speakers in and they need to be shallow mount. The stock door location is quite poor anyway and if you only have business then theres no stock tweeter mount so an additional expense is getting the tweeter housing A pillars from bmw as found in the hifi and logic 7 variants.

As for amplifying, theres alot of info on here about how to do it, but you probably need a canbus adaptor and maybe several more adapters... Use the forum search dude as its been covered. The 'alpine upgrade' is possibly the most relevant topic (its a sticky) but any "e90 amplifier" search result could help.

Last off this should be in the 'technical' board, not general

HTH