E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 6FL Retrofit Option

11-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #177
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaddict View Post
Have been following this thread for some time now....today i contacted my dealer and was told that my April 07 build e92 (it has Bluetooth + BMW Assist + Logic 7 that came with premium package, I have no I Drive OR Navigation) is eligible for the USB retrofit.

Parts: $400 approx
Labor:3-4 Hours approx.

Hope this helps someone..
Are you sure that's the 6FL retrofit(USB in the center console) and not the ipod adapter that goes in the glovebox???
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #178
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPerf Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Are you sure that's the 6FL retrofit(USB in the center console) and not the ipod adapter that goes in the glove box???
Pretty sure that its the USB retro and not the IPod adapter. Part # 65 41 0 445 465. I asked what they were going to do to install and the SA mentioned they have to get to telematics controller in the trunk and then run cable to the front. He mentioned that even though the book calls for 2.5 hours, it will be at least 3-4 hours of labor based on the install instructions.

I told them to triple check so I don't waste my time that it is the USB in the console and not IPod in glove box, even though SA seemed sure he said will call be back after confirmation from shop foreman.

If I hear otherwise, I will update the post.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #179
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Pretty sure that its the USB retro and not the IPod adapter. Part # 65 41 0 445 465. I asked what they were going to do to install and the SA mentioned they have to get to telematics controller in the trunk and then run cable to the front. He mentioned that even though the book calls for 2.5 hours, it will be at least 3-4 hours of labor based on the install instructions.

I told them to triple check so I don't waste my time that it is the USB in the console and not IPod in glove box, even though SA seemed sure he said will call be back after confirmation from shop foreman.

If I hear otherwise, I will update the post.
$400 for the 65410445465 retro, what about the MULF/ULF HI? Correct me if I'm wrong but, if you don't have 6FL then you don't have the MULF/ULF HI and it is needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 02:23 AM   #180
tomek.ka
Registered
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible

Hello Everybody,

I am new to this forum. I have recently imported from US my 2008 335i convertible I started searching for information and have found your forum, which is really great. I had recently the BMW ipod kit installed and honestly I am quite disapointed with its performance.

When I connect my ipod, there is immediate possibility for doing search only through playlist or all songs (the latter pretty useless as I have over 4k songs in my ipod). It takes approximately 1 minute to enable search through artists or albums. Is that normal???

My audio system is Professional with Logic 7, no Navi, no idrive. I am using ipod 5th generation 80gb, with over 4k songs on it.

Could you pls tell me whether the problems I have are something that is normal or whether you believe that the installation of the ipod kit is defective. In the latter case where could be the problem?

Last edited by tomek.ka; 11-12-2010 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #181
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
$400 for the 65410445465 retro, what about the MULF/ULF HI? Correct me if I'm wrong but, if you don't have 6FL then you don't have the MULF/ULF HI and it is needed.
Exactly... the most important -and expensive- part is missing. It says so in the installation document... is anybody reading it before agreeing with this "retrofit"?

Another thing... if their own BMW document says X amount of hours of installation, why double that amount just because they are ignorant? When you go for a repair they charge you based on what the amount of hours their BMW documents says, so what's the deal here? On top of this... P/N 65410445465 is $300, not $400.

Damn, this is like concentious rape.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW USB Retrofit.pdf (1.73 MB, 838 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #182
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep

Guys, yes you and I are correct in being suspicious. I just followed up with the dealer and talked to the Master Technician. He told me that he looked at the retro guide and it looks simple enough to him but he is'nt convinced that it can be done that easily and at the price my SA gave me.

He was even more doubtful once I let him in on the info. that the part # they gave me comes up as BMW Europe part. He is off to BMW training in Laval, QC and he will find everything out for me from there. And he is still awaiting email back from BMW Tech center on his inquiry.

Will update when I further info...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #183
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Guys, yes you and I are correct in being suspicious. I just followed up with the dealer and talked to the Master Technician. He told me that he looked at the retro guide and it looks simple enough to him but he is'nt convinced that it can be done that easily and at the price my SA gave me.

He was even more doubtful once I let him in on the info. that the part # they gave me comes up as BMW Europe part. He is off to BMW training in Laval, QC and he will find everything out for me from there. And he is still awaiting email back from BMW Tech center on his inquiry.

The P/N also shows in the US database -Tischer BMW price is $292-, so somehow it is no longer exclusively an Euro part.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #184
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep

Ah ok...I usually look up realoem and there it showed BMW Europe. But like I said I will patiently wait for a correct answer instead of rushing him through. Not sure if someone else do the same to see if the answers match up with two dealers !
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #185
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i   [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
hey everyone I have read this thread a few times but can't seem to locate the part number for the retrofit harness

I have an 07 335 and purchased the hub, the high mulf, the case for the hub, the center console insert ... i know some have wired in the 6FL to a car built before 03/07 by wiring in the mulf with the tcu as I have the TCU

any help would be great
See Garage for Mods
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #186
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiceman View Post
hey everyone I have read this thread a few times but can't seem to locate the part number for the retrofit harness

I have an 07 335 and purchased the hub, the high mulf, the case for the hub, the center console insert ... i know some have wired in the 6FL to a car built before 03/07 by wiring in the mulf with the tcu as I have the TCU

any help would be great
1. USB retrofit is P/N 65410445465, as stated above.
2. Take that P/N and enter it here: http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/
3. See for yourself the P/N breakdown of the retrofit parts.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #187
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Technic i appreciate the help you have given me recently ... the problem is I can't find any more after having that wiring harness part number, it isn't showing up in RealOem and the parts catalog has no additional details
See Garage for Mods

Last edited by GTiceman; 11-13-2010 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #188
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Anyone have any additional insight on wiring the TCU and Mulf-High in parallel
See Garage for Mods
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 03:33 AM   #189
jayjayrs
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdaveyg View Post
I have 2 MULF2 High units with the intention to get bluetooth in my car. I have a NOV 2007 E90 that is not pre wired for BT, but i have already retro fitted the pro navigation.

I have part numbers 84109149843 and 84109187625. The first is for cars upto sept 2007 and the second for cars after sept 2007. I got both should one not work in my car.

I spent some time at autologic here in the UK yesterday. First of all, the autologic sysytem can see either of the 2 units and was happy to code either to the car. I chose to install the 7625 unit as it matches what i should have in my car.

The autologic system has the 6FL retrofit option available, but until yesterday the system could not code a MULF2 High for bluetooth. When trying to enable bluetooth the system looked for a MULF OR MULF 2 non high version.

They have the software enginners that configure the autologic system here in the UK so the guy took the autologic unit away and reconfigured it to add the option to code a MULF2 High for bluetooth. Now for any further applications that need this there is a autologic update that this guy has written so when you code a MULF2 High ther is an option for just 6FL or 6FL and Bluetooth. As i retrofitted the pro nav system i do not have assist and SOS options, so no TCU. I saw on the autologic system the option for TCU's but im not sure what would happen if people wanted to add a MULF2 High to a car with a TCU. I would say that if the autologic system has issues configuing any options the software guys writ a fix within an hour, and the even have software to simulate the car so they can test it.

So, i got the MULF2 High coded, bluetooth works with IDRIVE and i now have the oiption for USB audio under AUX inputs. I cant select it yet but i assume that that because i have now USB device attached.

I can also confirm that the retrofit kit is now available to buy, it has been released from hold. I am collecting mine tomorrow. The only one available is the second part number that kenH supplied, it comes with the power loom aswell as the USB loom, thas good for me as i have no pre wire in the boot. The only additional wires i need to run will be 2 or the mic.

I was expecting some sort of voice control form the MULF2 High but there was none. I even got autologic to add the option number to my VO. I think this is because i have the pro nav and the car wants to use the CCC as the voice command controller. I need to get the activation for this (maybe rom BMW)??

I will update tomorrow when i get the loom. I will not have time to fully fit it but i will hook it all up to see if i get the usb audio working. Its an added bonus if it works as i only set outy to get bluetooth.

I have the other MULF2 High on ebay if anyone needs it.

Hello,

I've been reading carefully your post.
I'm quite happy because after weeks of searching, I finally found someone who has had the exact same issue... Except that I don't have an autlogic programmer around (I'm french)
So in my E87 (2007/07) with SAT NAV PRO but no SA6FL, I want to retrofit OEM Bluetooth.(SA644).
I bought a second hand MULF2 High and the bluetooth harness (Radio to MULF2)
I went to my BMW dealer to code Bluetooth and he couldn't, the SSS said to change the MULF2 apparently... (My dealer doesn't know why, if it's because of the MULF2, the fact it's a second hand one...)
Considering youy post, I'm wondering if he could not just add the SA6FL in the Vehicle Order (to simulate there is USB) and then ask the SSS to retrofit SA644...

Would it be possible?
Can the SSS code a second hand module?

Thanks for your answers...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:24 AM   #190
jayjayrs
Rep

The more I read about this issue, the more I think that with a MULF2, coding for USB (SA6FL) gives also the Bluetooth (SA644)

So when you do not have neither USB, neither Bluetooth, the thing to do is getting a MULF2 High, getting all the needed wires (USB & Bluetooth) and ask for coding for USB only (SA6FL).
Then you get automatically USB + Bluetooth...

Can someone confirm my theory?
Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #191
beeniebeamer
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

My thoughts are the same as jayjayrs and I would too appreciate if anyone can confirm this.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #192
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Doubt it. Those who have done the bt retrofit (by adding a mic) have had to get coding done
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:53 AM   #193
jayjayrs
Rep

Right, but they add allready the 6FL option.
I mean if you have nothing and you retrofit both Bluetooth and USB...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 05:43 AM   #194
jayjayrs
Rep

Hello,

So I'm giving some GOOD news about my issue!!
I finally changed the MULF2 HIGH for a MULF2 LOW, and...
IT WORKED!!!!
Actually bluetooth worked without any coding (obviously it was allready coded onto a previous car...)

So

PS: Voice control doesn't work but... So I have to see if these MULF2 LOW can give voice control or not. If yes, maybe I'll have the car tio get coded for SA620...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #195
WinoGregorio
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m550i

Quote:

Hi - Any update on this? My dealer is telling me it is not possible. Would love to prove them wrong.
Thanks,
Greg
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #196
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinoGregorio View Post
Hi - Any update on this? My dealer is telling me it is not possible. Would love to prove them wrong.
Thanks,
Greg
Hi Greg:

I did check with 2 dealers here and they both said its possible. The price they quoted me was $1350.xx.

Both mentioned that I will need another ULF unit + usb parts.

Hope this helps. I will probably switch to M Sport pack in few years so I will just have use the aux and mp3 cd's for now
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #197
coolamber
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I tried to order this retrofit kit as I have all of the required components and the correct mulf in my 07 335. I was told this part is not available in the US.

Can anyone give me a Canadian or European contact who I could order the retrofit kit and have it shipped here?

Last edited by coolamber; 12-30-2010 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: revise question
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #198
coolamber
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Since the 6FL retrofit kit has been discontinued I am going to attempt to retrofit this by making my own harness. I ordered all the parts for the fiber optic cables, connectors, USB hub, USB/AUX in and will update this thread on my success, (or lack thereof) when I have more information. Still would prefer to do this with the kit but the only items within the kit that are unavailable are the 2 wiring harnesses, so I will attempt to make those. Wish me luck!
Appreciate 0