E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d Mods

07-22-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
Rushall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe / Boxster S 987

335d Mods

Hi all

New poster here - had my 335d Coupe a couple of months now and what a car!! Absolutely delighted with it. Quick, stylish, comfortable... basically a sports car when I want it and a GT when I don't!

Having looked at a couple of other members' profile pictures ('Hot Coupe' 'G33' and 'DXB' to name a few) I'm wondering if it's time to consider a couple of subtle mods.

I've got the SE model in Black with 18' wheels on (can't remember which ones) - the car looks great but is totally stock and I'm considering whether I need some fresh wheels, maybe a front spliter, M3 lip spoiler.... anything else?

I'm really happy with the car but a few little additions would set it off nicely. Would be keen to get the views of some of you guys!

Finally, the car needs to double as an Exec motor Monday to Fri so it can't look like a pimp mobile!

Finally, finally, great forum & picked up some top tips already! Thanks all.

best

Rush
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Morning, welcome,

I dont know much about styling for the se - but as its a coupe you could consider looking into the aero kit which is a standard bmw kit, not dissimilar to the m-sport kit so should keep the stock look you desire.

If a bodykit is too much for any reason, then wheels of the 19 inch variety will be a good addition. I favour bmw type 225 but there are some good non bmw options too. Consider carefully before you move away from run flat tyres because whilst there is no doubt the ride is improved, bmw wont want your car when it comes to trade in time.

As your car is black, you have a perfect match for carbon fibre so think of lips - which i think are less common for se spec but will exist, or a subtle lip spoiler. Consider carbon badger or a black or carbon front grille to balance front and rear if you get the spoiler.

In terms of performance, a remap is far and away the only route you should consider.

There are suspension options you can consider, but expect to spend money and do your research if your expecting to do anything besides lowering a bit.

Aside from complex technical mods like a limited slip diff or anti roll bars i cant think of much else.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've made a few cosmetic mods, detailed:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235965

and

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258350

Welcome to the forum!
      07-22-2009, 03:15 AM   #4
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Remap , Remap & Remap ! Best value mod you can buy end of !

Then I would go for 19" 225's, M3 Lip Spoiler & Hi Fi upgrade if you don't have Logic 7.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 03:36 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Welcome matey, glad you love your new purchase.

I would not place 19" 225 on your car, wont suit it as an SE... Get the 19" 230's... In my onion Best rim for the E92.
      07-22-2009, 03:44 AM   #6
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Hi & weclome to forums, glad your enjoying your car, it is awesome

The below mods are a few which i have done to my own 335D. I like to think of my theme as 'stealth' not 'pimp', but others may disagree

black kidney grilles - cheapish mod but make a huge difference (especially if you have the high gloss shadow line option)

remap - like others have said, amazing difference for the money (just dont expect to get decent tyre wear as the torque is boosted from 'lots' to 'insane' !!

LSD - a expensive, hardcore but stealthy mod. What a difference, for more info search for E92FANS review.

19" wheels - would improve the look of the car, get some non oem wheels as these will make the car stand out from the crowd a lot more. Dont be tempted by 20's these are too big and dont handle too well in comparisson to the 19's

enjoy your ownership and time on the forum

Chris

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 12:42 AM   #7
Rushall
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Morning, welcome,

I dont know much about styling for the se - but as its a coupe you could consider looking into the aero kit which is a standard bmw kit, not dissimilar to the m-sport kit so should keep the stock look you desire.

If a bodykit is too much for any reason, then wheels of the 19 inch variety will be a good addition. I favour bmw type 225 but there are some good non bmw options too. Consider carefully before you move away from run flat tyres because whilst there is no doubt the ride is improved, bmw wont want your car when it comes to trade in time.

As your car is black, you have a perfect match for carbon fibre so think of lips - which i think are less common for se spec but will exist, or a subtle lip spoiler. Consider carbon badger or a black or carbon front grille to balance front and rear if you get the spoiler.

In terms of performance, a remap is far and away the only route you should consider.

There are suspension options you can consider, but expect to spend money and do your research if your expecting to do anything besides lowering a bit.

Aside from complex technical mods like a limited slip diff or anti roll bars i cant think of much else.

Matt
Thanks Matt - when you say "consider lips," do you mean a front splitter or rear M3 type boot spoiler (or both!!)? I saw the splitter you've fitted on your motor.... looks great. Was actually those pics of yours that got me thinking about the front splitter (Take it some of those photos were at Harewood House??)

Re carbon badger, what are they?? (spot the newbie) And when you say 'to balance the front and rear' do you mean literally?

Thanks for the tips mate - definitely considering a remap. Like the idea of the Evolve Switch but would welcome any thoughts/recommedations.

Best

Rush
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
Rushall
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
Looks awesome mate - well done. Love those wheels. Are they 230's as recommended by DXB?

In the second link, have you fitted a new front bumper or is that a splitter? Really like it what it is!

cheers

Rush

PS - I'm Kingston/Surbiton. You anywhere close?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #9
Rushall
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
Remap , Remap & Remap ! Best value mod you can buy end of !

Then I would go for 19" 225's, M3 Lip Spoiler & Hi Fi upgrade if you don't have Logic 7.
So that would be the remap then!??!! Nice one. Recommend any in particular?

Cheers

Rush
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #10
Rushall
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Welcome matey, glad you love your new purchase.

I would not place 19" 225 on your car, wont suit it as an SE... Get the 19" 230's... In my onion Best rim for the E92.
Thanks mate - are those 230's on yours? If so, I like.

I saw a black 335d coupe with those wheels on when the e92 was first launched - I've aspired to owning one ever since so fitting those wheels is definitely an option.... if I can get my hands on some!!!

Have you remapped?? If so, which one?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 01:01 AM   #11
Rushall
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Hi & weclome to forums, glad your enjoying your car, it is awesome

The below mods are a few which i have done to my own 335D. I like to think of my theme as 'stealth' not 'pimp', but others may disagree

black kidney grilles - cheapish mod but make a huge difference (especially if you have the high gloss shadow line option)

remap - like others have said, amazing difference for the money (just dont expect to get decent tyre wear as the torque is boosted from 'lots' to 'insane' !!

LSD - a expensive, hardcore but stealthy mod. What a difference, for more info search for E92FANS review.

19" wheels - would improve the look of the car, get some non oem wheels as these will make the car stand out from the crowd a lot more. Dont be tempted by 20's these are too big and dont handle too well in comparisson to the 19's

enjoy your ownership and time on the forum

Chris
Thanks mate - your car looks awesome!

LSD? Limited slip diff? Went to bimmerflex a few weeks ago and a guy was talking to me about the same. Sounds insane....... and expensive!!!

Definitely considering a remap. You got any recommendations?

As for wheels, definitely going to upgrade... although must confess, 20's had crossed my mind. Basically, I love the look of the Autovogue motors (although I did say I didn't want to look like a pimp didn't I!??)

Thanks for the tips mate.

Best

Rush
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #12
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushall View Post
Looks awesome mate - well done. Love those wheels. Are they 230's as recommended by DXB?

In the second link, have you fitted a new front bumper or is that a splitter? Really like it what it is!

cheers

Rush

PS - I'm Kingston/Surbiton. You anywhere close?
Yup, those are the 230's and the splitter is an OEM part that fits over the existing bumper. Happy to gice you some more details, or you can have a closer look - I'm just in Hersham, so only a few miles away from you!
      07-24-2009, 03:40 AM   #13
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

My vote...

Re-Map every time. Use Evolve for a quality product and 100% piece of mind, its just like having a totally new car. I would love a 335D but drive too many miles a week to live with the economy, used to 50mpg now.

Then black grills, wheels and rear spoiler.

But DEFINITELY a re-map first.

PS. Welcome to the forum
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:41 AM   #14
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Quote:
So that would be the remap then!??!! Nice one. Recommend any in particular?

Cheers

Rush
Yes buddy, well noticed lol.

I have the Evolve remap which came recommended by this forum. All I can say is if you bought the car for an enjoyable, spirited drive from time to time then this must be your 1st mod. At £480 it slapped on another 60 BHP and so much torque that I am surprised the gearbox doesn't cry on a daily basis.

Other mods which I am doing, I bought some 4" chrome tips from Cyba (member of this forum) for the exhaust. I have already fitted an M3 lip spoiler, black grilles will be purchased soon. Finally I have a set of H&R sport springs to go on which will be fitted with spacers which I still need to buy.

I was lucky enough to get the 225' alloys with car which will I love but are a pain in the butty to clean !
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 05:14 AM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks mate - are those 230's on yours? If so, I like.

I saw a black 335d coupe with those wheels on when the e92 was first launched - I've aspired to owning one ever since so fitting those wheels is definitely an option.... if I can get my hands on some!!!

Have you remapped?? If so, which one?
Yes there the wheels go for it, they look stunning in the flesh..

Have I re-mapped

OH YES bUDDY.

Wanna see some footage?
      07-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #16
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Rushall...

Sorry I typed all that on my phone the other morning when I was on the train!!

I meant Carbon Badges not Carbon Badger lol - you can switch em on the wheels, bonnet and boot for a nice effect on a black car.

When I said balanced, I like a car to have a concurrent theme - so if you have a carbon lip spoiler or splitter at the front, then I like to see some carbon at the back too - either spoiler or diffuser.

I have some interesting new mods which are coming up in the next two weeks - you will see the result soon enough and might give you some ideas!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 05:56 AM   #17
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

I would like a carbon badger
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 06:18 AM   #18
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilL View Post
Surprised noone spotted it earlier lol!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 06:22 AM   #19
R80TER
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 320D ED

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Surprised noone spotted it earlier lol!!

Matt

they might have done, but carbon badgers are nocturnal, it would have been spotted tonight.

be careful though, carbon badgers have a strong yet lightweight version of TB.
      07-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #20
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #21
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilL View Post
I've got a titanium ferret
      07-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #22
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
I've got a titanium ferret
Both a titanium ferret or a carbon badger could easily be golfing accessories!

Matt
Appreciate 0