E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any one with procede Rev 2 think about switching to GIAC?

View Poll Results: Procede Rev 2 Canbus or GIAC Flash?
Procede Rev 2 Canbus 32 55.17%
GIAC Flash 26 44.83%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

08-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #23
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
I'm definitely interested in the GIAC flash because there's so much that they can do that a piggy cannot.
For example, I've heard that the GIAC flash closes the wastegates at idle the same exact way as the pre 29.2 programing, which means that the throttle response will be extremely better than the piggys.
Yes, there are lagfix maps with the piggys but the lag fix maps don't close the wastegates completely, and this is the reason for the wastegate rattle.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #24
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Why would anyone stay with a piggy, if the flash does just as well? I can understand how some people have already invested in a "tune" would stay with their current tune but overall a flash controls more parameters, is the easiest install, and is not as detectable, hell once bmw figures a way to store codes a way that not even the bt tool or other devices can remove them piggys are back to square one, and the first poor fool who walks in after that upgrade would have loved waiting 45 minutes for a complete rewrite.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #25
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible335i2008 View Post
Why would anyone stay with a piggy, if the flash does just as well? I can understand how some people have already invested in a "tune" would stay with their current tune but overall a flash controls more parameters, is the easiest install, and is not as detectable, hell once bmw figures a way to store codes a way that not even the bt tool or other devices can remove them piggys are back to square one, and the first poor fool who walks in after that upgrade would have loved waiting 45 minutes for a complete rewrite.
Well, it's a cat-and-mouse game. Anything that BMW does can be undone in one way or another, whether through software or hardware manipulation. It's just a matter of how long it takes, and what resources are consumed fighting it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #26
flem
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
not really considering a reflash since i like the fact that i can custom tune the piggy back and don't have to visit/send my ecu out if i ever want to make changes. Plus i love my procede sooo to answer your question, nope.
+1

Whatever option allows me to have the most control is the one I will take...
      08-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #27
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostick View Post
A good friend of mine works for BMW and has told me that BMW engineers are aware that piggyback tuners are reading and deleting the tuner detection codes. He said they changed the software so that these codes will be shadow stored in an area that can not be deleted by dealer level software and only when connecting to the FASTA system. He could not tell me when that update is coming out so beware out there BMW is still on our tails. I asked about flashing and he said BMW was not that concerned, they don't believe anyone can do it yet with their encryption except Dinan and some small European tuners. Piggybacks are very much the biggest thing on the radar there.
You might want to try more reliable sources "discostick".

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #28
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
You might want to try more reliable sources "discostick".

Shiv
A friend of mine whose sister dates a guy at BMW told me that the DME's will communicate wireless so what you gonna do then?
      08-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #29
Blk07335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSmooth View Post
A friend of mine whose sister dates a guy at BMW told me that the DME's will communicate wireless so what you gonna do then?
Communicate with what. What are they going to do build their own cellular network with the sole purpose of receiving shadow codes from tuned 335is.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #30
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition MT Hoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSmooth View Post
Ahhh so this is finally how my first negative post in all my time at E90 would come to be... well, it had to happen sometime:

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #31
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
A good friend of mine works for BMW and has told me that BMW engineers are aware that piggyback tuners are reading and deleting the tuner detection codes. He said they changed the software so that these codes will be shadow stored in an area that can not be deleted by dealer level software and only when connecting to the FASTA system. He could not tell me when that update is coming out so beware out there BMW is still on our tails. I asked about flashing and he said BMW was not that concerned, they don't believe anyone can do it yet with their encryption except Dinan and some small European tuners. Piggybacks are very much the biggest thing on the radar there.
There have been rumors of this, and lets be honest it makes sense from BMW's perspective. This is something BT is on top of and the BT Cable will be worth its weight in gold with ALL piggyback and flash owners if/when BMW moves forward with it.

As always, the first line of defense for tuner invisibility is not to trigger those hidden codes in the first place. The backup to that is having a company dedicated to unlocking BMW's DME with the tools available to access every part of it. Including overwriting BINs and shadow memory directly. That is just some of what BT brings to the table.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #32
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
I have yet to buy a "major" tune, but it will either be PROcede or GIAC at this point... either way it would HAVE to delimit the stop speed. If I got the GIAC I wouldn't get it without the handheld device so that I could swap it to a stock map myself. If a piggy it would have to be fully PNP... which means I won't be paying $1200 (too expensive) for say the CP-E Standback.

Between the PROcede and GIAC under those conditions, I think I would honestly get the cheapest one. Both control many parameters and I feel like actually care about safety.
Let me know when you want to try out a "major" tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #33
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Hrmm, newly joined (this month and we are only a four days into the month) and from the Northeast, New Jersey perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #34
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i AT

On a serious note though. BMW doesn't want anyone to modify whilst in warranty. There after they prey people mod so they can make their fat margins on the spares.

I had read a article once that said typical manufacturers make less than 50% of the return on a model from the sale and the balance through spares. They had done a calculation of a 740 which if bought in spares was over 20 times the value of the car.
      08-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #35
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

My buddy is the one who drives the Le-Mans Blue 335i in Taiwan. I have been reading the thread and I just have a few questions about this.

1. what are the good parts of piggy back?? for resale issue??

2. why does it take GIAC almost 2years to come out with a flash??

3. How can you be sure that the piggy back doesn't trigger the BMW tuner codes??

4. How long do you thing GIAC have tested there file before releasing? compared to other companies which seems to have a file ready when the car is just on the market?? is it really the best or NOT really tested??

5. GIAC is the top brand for Porsche, VW, Audi, and now working slowing into the BMW market. Will they gain market share?? I don't know.

Here is a link: M3 GIAC vs. Powerchips
Modded M3 GIAC chip vs. 392whp E90 with powerchip with every bolt on

*for me driving an M3 I have been back to the dealers in Taiwan a couple of times after my flash today its back again doing the BMW Performance Steering wheel. No problem , NOTHING just thank you for shopping at BMW.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #36
SHOTGUN
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep
Drives: zhp-apr stage 2 passat & gti

anyone that has previous experience with tunning vw, audi, or porche will jump on giac.
for the rest of the 335 owners it will take some time but eventually they will
see this is by far the best option.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #37
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Just so it's known,

You cannot remove GIAC from your ECU unless you send it to be reflashed. You can switch the maps with the switcher, but you cannot remove the map.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #38
uhcoug2011
Uhcoug2011
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826 View Post
Just so it's known,

You cannot remove GIAC from your ECU unless you send it to be reflashed. You can switch the maps with the switcher, but you cannot remove the map.
The idea is not to completely remove the flash, but rather to revert back to a stock file so that when making a dealer trip the flash is not detected.
      08-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #39
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826 View Post
Just so it's known,

I don't know whats with all this talk of sending your ECU to be flashed is about.. If you look at the GIAC website there are numerous GIAC locations nationwide.
http://www.giacusa.com/dealermap/index.php
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #40
uhcoug2011
Uhcoug2011
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
I don't know whats with all this talk of sending your ECU to be flashed is about.. If you look at the GIAC website there are numerous GIAC locations nationwide.
http://www.giacusa.com/dealermap/index.php
+1 I also do not think he realizes nobody getting the flash is going to expect to be sending the ECU in or going to their local flash dealer to revert back to stock because when this flash was originally advertised a big part of it was the fact that we would be able to flash back to a "stock" map on our own.
      08-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #41
skate_E92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhcoug2011 View Post
+1 I also do not think he realizes nobody getting the flash is going to expect to be sending the ECU in or going to their local flash dealer to revert back to stock because when this flash was originally advertised a big part of it was the fact that we would be able to flash back to a "stock" map on our own.
from what giac has told me its actually a stock file so not 100% stock, but if on the stock setting your bmw dealer would have to send the ecu to bmwna to find the flash. if your really worried about some serious warranty work u can go to a giac dealer/ mail your ecu to get flashed back to stock. again this is what i was told... sounds pretty sick to me!! i had no problems with my giac flashed b6 s4 when i went to the dealership with a blown out power steering pump. (snow drifting haha)
      08-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #42
uhcoug2011
Uhcoug2011
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateDFWe92 View Post
from what giac has told me its actually a stock file so not 100% stock, but if on the stock setting your bmw dealer would have to send the ecu to bmwna to find the flash. if your really worried about some serious warranty work u can go to a giac dealer/ mail your ecu to get flashed back to stock. again this is what i was told... sounds pretty sick to me!! i had no problems with my giac flashed b6 s4 when i went to the dealership with a blown out power steering pump. (snow drifting haha)
I understand that but what I am saying is that a supposed advantage of this flash is the fact that you would be able to flash to a once again "stock like" file for dealer visits.

This is supposed to be one of the advantages of this flash over piggybacks but in actuality if I am going to have to go to a dealer and get it reflashed once to stock and once again to my map selection than I rather stick with a 10 minute piggyback removal.
      08-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #43
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

For people who can not make a choice right now. just wait until more people on the market get the GIAC file to better compare. I don't really need to because all of my past cars had GIAC file with no problem what so ever.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #44
gqmd
Chemo Doc
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Anyone who sells their PROcede for a flash (or any other tuning device) is going to be very disappointed. Not just now but also in the future

Shiv
I really really really like the sound of that