E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > vibrations worse after meyle hd tension struts (control arms)

04-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #23
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

It all depends on the tire. Most of the time, when they tried to force match my tires to bring the road force numbers down, the road force number actually got worse For that reason, I had to exchange the tire(s) as I started realizing what the actual problem was (initially I just assumed that the shops I was taking the wheels/tires to didn't know how to balance them correctly). Continental did a good job taking care of me by allowing for the exchange of the tires in a somewhat hassle free manner, but other than that I will not be buying another Continental tire again. EVER. These DWSs have given me such a headache that they've lost me as a customer forever...the quality control on these things is utter cr@p. Not to mention the constant flat spotting, inconsistent uniformity, etc. What a nightmare...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
Zengineer
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 G20 M340xi BGM

That's frustrating to hear, it is such a highly rated tire (from a traction standpoint), I didn't think I'd have to worry about stuff like this. I think I will try ONE MORE shop to road force balance them, but damn I am getting really tired of spending money on this issue. I am quickly falling out of love with BMW also, even if it's not their direct fault.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #25
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Dude, I was right there with you a couple months ago lol I lost all interest in driving my car because the vibration issues kept pissing me off. After I got it straightened out though (via lots of time and money), I'm still not as happy with the tires as I should be, but at least it's tolerable to drive again...

Either way, I'm secretly hoping that these things wear out sooner rather than later so I can get a new set of Michelins and be done with it lol
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #26
Zengineer
Private
No_Country
Rep

Well it does make me feel better knowing that someone else has had this same issue, if this fixes it, and you're ever in the OKC area, I'll buy you a beer!

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
kluski
Rep
Drives: 2006 330XI

Holy cow, what a great thread.

I had DWS tires put on about 30k miles ago. Before installing I had no alignment issues, after, I had a pull to the right. The indy shop rotated the tires left/right and front/back; all combinations, but still a pull to the right. I even took it to the dealership and they did the same, but the results did not change. I figured it could not be the tires and did not know anything about road force balancing. I did find it interesting that the pull right happened as instant as changing tires.

All four tires are getting thin on the outside edge now and one in particular is thinner on half (uneven around the circumference). I had a little more of a vibration early on, but it has dwindled down and either I don't notice it or it is gone.

They do wear great, I still have some 'S' left on the tread after 30k miles and figure they will last a while. I'll replace them sooner due to the outer edges wearing before the center wears. In case it matters, I put the tires on about 46k and I'm near 76k miles now.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #28
Zengineer
Private
No_Country
Rep

I haven't yet taken it in for another balance, but I have noticed that the steering wheel "wobble" SEEMS to also occur under light braking from about 40mph+.

I plan to swap driver side wheel and tire from front to back, see if any changes occur, then do the same on passenger side. If I observe any change in vibration characteristics, I think that will narrow it down to a tire/wheel issue.

If not, I will probably look further into brakes and tie rods.

I'll keep updating here as I troubleshoot... or if I just buy a different car! hahHAHAhaha... (that's my maniacal frustrated laugh)

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #29
asus389
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I'm following this with interest. Did you ever solve this problem? I have a very similar issue with my e90. FWIW I have found that some brands of tires just balance better than others (all things being equal). I have had the least problems with Michelins.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #30
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengineer View Post
Thats sad to hear since the rotors are new....

Probably you have uneven brake pad deposits on the rotors. Rebed the brake pads and the vibrations should disappear.
      08-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #31
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i MT

Did you find the solution?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #32
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M4, '23 CX-50

Nobody has suggested this yet, but before diving heavily into the tires why not check your tension strut installment? A lot of members install these incorrectly by tightening the bolts without the front end loaded. You need to load the front end before snugging down the tension strut bolts or you'll tear the new bushings apart
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #33
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by asus389 View Post
FWIW I have found that some brands of tires just balance better than others (all things being equal). I have had the least problems with Michelins.
Same here. The last time, I had Michelin A/S 3 put on and match road force balanced. I watched as he got it down to 5 lbs on one wheel, and 3 lbs on the other. Impressive. The downside is they are a very stiff tire, and ride harsher than I would like.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #34
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

OP as FCobra94 mentions its most likely your wheel and tires. I've had the same problem for a while, not while braking though. I cant figure why its so hard to find someone competent enough to balance/alignment properly?!
I've had all my wheels and tires replaced, and road force balanced atleast 4 times, before I got a set that was "tolerable". As I found out some tires are just hard to balance, especially if they are All Season. I see a lot of people on this board and others who complain about this problem, have All Seasons.

I would suggest finding a different set of summer wheels/tires, and a competent shop to do the mounting and balancing for you. In my case some alignment trickery also made a huge difference. I have the same vibration problem, at 70+, but its at a point you cant see it anymore. I hate my tires, but will keep them for the winter.

Some tires are just crap! Not sure what happens in the manufacturing process(Are you reading this GoodYear?!?!)

Unfortunately things that we love most about out car, are turned into a nightmare by some incompetent humans just out to make a profit.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #35
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Sounds like it could be a bent hub. Need to measure the run out.

Although many tires will have a second or third harmonic that can cause vibrations around 80 and 120 km/hr respectively. The stiffer the suspension bushings, the more you will feel it. Not many shops know how to measure it, or have the equipment.
Appreciate 0