E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Door Locks - Anyone had / have this problem?

11-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #89
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

I have the issue with comfort access where the locks will lock fine when getting out of the car by touching the handle.

But, when putting a hand on the handle to open, you can hear the locks trying to click, but nothing happens, it won't unlock. Press the unlock on the Fob, and it unlocks.
      11-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #90
JediNite90
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

So my passenger door bit the bullet last week too !! Gonna take it to the dealership this week for servicing. Damn chitty !!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #91
snoopykul
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

just happened to me.
left home for work in the morning, was working fine.
stopped for coffee, and when i went back to the car, couldn't unlock the doors with the key fob.

had to use the hideaway key to manually unlock door and trunk.
internal central lock was not working as well.

setting up appt with dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #92
not4kt
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i dinan

I have the same issue. Just bought the car and discovered it after I signed the papers. I had them add it to the work promised sheet for them to fix. I'll be checking the fuse to see if that helps. Great info!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #93
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
I have the issue with comfort access where the locks will lock fine when getting out of the car by touching the handle.

But, when putting a hand on the handle to open, you can hear the locks trying to click, but nothing happens, it won't unlock. Press the unlock on the Fob, and it unlocks.
Wouldn't it be amazing if BMW ever owned up to improper design? I've had the same issue since 2007, ah, but wouldn't you know it, my warranty is expired now? I replied to this post in 2009.

The fact that we all have identical symptoms is a pretty strong indicator that we're not making up what we say. But it's interesting how BMW wins in their denial of fixing things under warranty. Probably, because there is no fix, it's a design flaw (I got one actuator replaced which made things worse).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #94
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Just had the same issue with my '07 Touring, dealer replaced the actuators and it works fine now. It didn't seem to surprise them that the problem arose, they had seen it before.
      12-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #95
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

My situation is a bit odd. Passenger door unlock stopped working this summer. You could hear the actuator working, but just didn't have enough "umph" to open lock. The other doors all locked/unlocked just fine. Car has 20 AMP fuse in it. So, I figure some time in future I will have to replace the actuator.

Now, fast forward to this winter. I live where in the winter it is cold, snowy, etc. Now, in this cold, snowy enviroment (average temp at or near freezing), the doors lock and unlock, ALL of them, work just fine. The passenger door unlocks like it's supposed to. Kind of odd, but in summer passenger door won't unlock, but in winter it does. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #96
not4kt
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i dinan

I attempted the fuse fix but all stayed the same...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #97
Magic Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1526 View Post
^^+1 its been a known problem... i've had to happen to my car as well, dealer has to change out the actuators
Same exact thing with my 2007 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #98
electrojolt
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Door lock problem just happen to me also

This same problem just happend to me, doors stopped unlocking using the remote....

I replaced the fuse and didn't fix the problem....

then I disconnected the battery and it started to work with the exception of the driver's door... this one would unlock but would not lock using the remote... then I remembered that when I disconnected the battery the driver's door was open... so I closed it and unlocked all the doors then disconected the battery for about 60 seconds and re-connected.... and now all is working fine...

hope this will help some of you having this strange problem.

remeber these cars have computers and many times they need a re-boot.

they almost need a CTRL + ALT + DEL keys.....
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #99
nathani
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

Door Actuators Need to Be Replaced and BMW Won't Cover The Repair!

About three days ago the door locks stopped working... Creating a very dangerous situation. I tried changing the fuses myself with no succes. Took it to BMW and they tried replacing the fuses as well and have told me that the door actuators need to be replaced.

Due to the fact that my warrantee expired a few weeks ago, BMW refuses to cover the cost. The car is only 4 years old with 25k miles... I would think my door locks could last that amount of time before needing to be replaced!!!

What's most infuriating is that my the BMW service tech tells me this happens OFTEN to other 3 series. This should clearly be a recall item.

I have been a BMW owner for years and planned to replace my Range Rover with a new x5, but I am now reconsidering due to BMW's lack of assistance with this significant issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #100
vpfreedude
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 335i M Sport

I had this happen 2 weeks ago in freezing weather and had to get my kid into the back seat Dukes of Hazard style through the window!

I changed the 15 amp fuse (#54 or 57 as I recall) and that didn't seem to work - fuse blew first time I tried using the locks.

Take the car in for service because it's still under warranty and their fix? They upped the 15 amp fuse to a 25 amp fuse and "tested" the system. Unbelievable that they would charge people for this if not on warranty in my opinion but it was the final straw and my car is BMW's again in 8 days.

New one is on the way complete with warranty and hopefully no electrical gremlins (door looks wasn't my first electrical issue).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #101
zenmoused
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i, Phaeton

Edward Norton's formula from Fight Club comes to mind with this.

"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

I was thinking about this today when I had my 2 year old in the backseat. If this happened I wouldn't be able to get him out easily. I can't believe BMW would knowingly ignore a problem that causes the doors to be impossible to open. That's something I can't live with as an owner- sorry BMW I'm selling mine and never buying your brand again. (Also really BMW, the alarm system is an add-on option for a $35k car? A fucking Hyundai comes with this standard you cheap bastards.)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #102
Donia330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 330i BSM

bump!

this just happened to me!! how do I fix my driver door?!?! is the only option going to the dealer??
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #103
Donia330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 330i BSM

bump
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 07:07 AM   #104
Hokie2000
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

Bringing this back....

This happened to me yesterday while we were at a cookout. The doors locked, then I heard a loud buzzing/clicking noise coming from the passenger side of the cars. Now the doors won't unlock. I check the fuses related to the locks and replaced fuse #57 which was blown and the central locking button will still not work and I still cannot open any of the doors except for the driver's side.

What really sucked was trying to get our 7 month old and his car seat in the car and get him home and out of the car. We finally had to climb in the back through the driver's side and pass him through the dam window.

I'm headed to the dealership this evening and will update here with the outcome. I'm sure this won't be cheap since my car is out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #105
BMW owner
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

My doors locks also stopped working today with me & my children locked inside. I'll try to replace fuse tomorrow but in the meantime, I've filed a complaint with NTSA. After reading all these posts, this should definitely be a recall issue. Has anyone else filed and received a reply from NTSA?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #106
BMW owner
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie2000 View Post
Bringing this back....

This happened to me yesterday while we were at a cookout. The doors locked, then I heard a loud buzzing/clicking noise coming from the passenger side of the cars. Now the doors won't unlock. I check the fuses related to the locks and replaced fuse #57 which was blown and the central locking button will still not work and I still cannot open any of the doors except for the driver's side.

What really sucked was trying to get our 7 month old and his car seat in the car and get him home and out of the car. We finally had to climb in the back through the driver's side and pass him through the dam window.

I'm headed to the dealership this evening and will update here with the outcome. I'm sure this won't be cheap since my car is out of warranty.
What was the outcome at the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #107
Hokie2000
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW owner View Post
What was the outcome at the dealership?
Never made it to the dealer. My car found jesus in the morning and things are working fine with the locks now. Apparently changing out the fuse for #57 worked. Still not sure why it didn't work right away when I replaced the fuse. My only guess is that I didn't start the car. I just replaced the burnt out fuse and assumed it would be corrected.

I haven't had any issues since then and I now have a spare pack of 15 and 20 amp fuses in the trunk just in case.

Good luck with your car, but I would check the fuses first.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #108
spanner1751
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M sport sedan

It's nice to know that I can anticipate the same door lock problems with my E90 that I had with my previous E46. I had the GM5 module repaired on the E46 and everything's GTG now.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #109
ChuckD05
NeedsMoarBoost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i / 06 e90 325xi

Garage List
add me to the list...

I am assuming no one has heard back from BMW NA since no one posted about their response...

Does anyone know if the actuators are covered under CPO ?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #110
Hokie2000
United_States
Rep

just quick update..

It happened again. This time, the fuses didn't blow and it was limited to the front passenger door not working now. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning, they tried to replace the fuse with a 20amp (even though I told them that fuses were fine) and they are now replacing both front actuators.

The service advisor said the damage is going to be $590 to replace both.
Appreciate 0