E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > where is brake fluid reservoir ?

02-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #23
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46m3csl View Post
dude dont give me your bullshit, just tell me where it is, first time owning a BMW and don't want to mess it up, can anyone post a pic of it, where everybody keep's telling me isn't that the steering oil the with the green cap
Lol awesome reply
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #24
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

I know people kind of ripped on the OP, but it's true if you don't know about brakes, don't work on them. Back when I turned wrenches for a living, I was amazed at how many cars would come in where people put oil, or power steering fluid, in the brake reservoir, which of course destroys the entire system and costs a fortune to fix.

Plus, the system is sealed so the only way it should ever register as low is if your brakes are physically worn, so I'd check those first before putting any fluid in. If it had a leak you would know because your pedal would go to the floor.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #25
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin View Post
I know people kind of ripped on the OP, but it's true if you don't know about brakes, don't work on them. Back when I turned wrenches for a living, I was amazed at how many cars would come in where people put oil, or power steering fluid, in the brake reservoir, which of course destroys the entire system and costs a fortune to fix.

Plus, the system is sealed so the only way it should ever register as low is if your brakes are physically worn, so I'd check those first before putting any fluid in. If it had a leak you would know because your pedal would go to the floor.
Exactly. That missing fluid is in the pistons on the calipers. If there is no light leave it be. Refill when you bleed at next brake change.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
Exactly. That missing fluid is in the pistons on the calipers. If there is no light leave it be. Refill when you bleed at next brake change.
I agree. Even if the brake pads are worn to the minimum spec there should be enough reserve fluid to not trigger the low fluid light. A low fluid light usually means a leak, or other issue with the system.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #27
rotarymc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D E91 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
So the brake fluid reservoir is in the underhood area directly in front of where the brake pedal is in the driver's foot well.
Mostly true, but not always so. Some cars that are made in left-hand-drive countries but for sale in right-hand-drive markets (e.g. some French cars sold in the UK) keep the brake master cylinder on the right (as you look at it from in front of the car) even though the brake pedal is on the left (as you look from in front of the car). The pedal is connected to the master cylinder by a long steel tube going across the back of the engine bay. This is done to save money on retooling costs I presume.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #28
sal_park
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 325i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I agree. Even if the brake pads are worn to the minimum spec there should be enough reserve fluid to not trigger the low fluid light. A low fluid light usually means a leak, or other issue with the system.

mod this up x10

OP - you need to find where this brake fluid has gone ASAP !

I really can't stress this enough. Personal I'd look at it (or take it to a garage) now, and not driving it until I know what's happening.

hth
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #29
sal_park
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 325i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarymc View Post
Mostly true, but not always so. Some cars that are made in left-hand-drive countries but for sale in right-hand-drive markets.
aka Mk1 VW Golf (in the UK anyway). Shockingly bad when the mechanical link between the pedal and master cylinder was a bit worn....
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarymc View Post
Mostly true, but not always so. Some cars that are made in left-hand-drive countries but for sale in right-hand-drive markets (e.g. some French cars sold in the UK) keep the brake master cylinder on the right (as you look at it from in front of the car) even though the brake pedal is on the left (as you look from in front of the car). The pedal is connected to the master cylinder by a long steel tube going across the back of the engine bay. This is done to save money on retooling costs I presume.
Okay, so I'll chime in that cars that originate in left-hand drive markets have the reservoir on the left side and cars that originate in right-hand drive markets have the reservoir on the right side. The principle is the same. BMWs, being the properly-engineered and expensive cars they are, would have a direct-connect brake system.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 06:48 AM   #31
rotarymc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D E91 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Okay, so I'll chime in that cars that originate in left-hand drive markets have the reservoir on the left side and cars that originate in right-hand drive markets have the reservoir on the right side. The principle is the same. BMWs, being the properly-engineered and expensive cars they are, would have a direct-connect brake system.

Cheers.
Agreed. And the good news is that, being a properly-engineered car, my BMW does indeed have the master cylinder directly connected, even though the car is right-hand-drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 12:12 AM   #32
ChaseDollas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i e9x four door

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46m3csl View Post
dude dont give me your bullshit, just tell me where it is, first time owning a BMW and don't want to mess it up, can anyone post a pic of it, where everybody keep's telling me isn't that the steering oil the with the green cap
Jesus dude. Calm down Tom and this other dude are trying to keep you from messing up your car. Don't get upset, because you are trying to service an expensive german automobile and theres a very good reason they have plastic covers over things like that. So inexperienced people like yourself with hardly any knowhow cannot service their cars. This is not billy jimbob ford truck america stuff we are dealing with. Best to consult a trained professional, or get trained before freeballing on your possibly 20k+ vehicle
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 05:32 AM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseDollas View Post
Jesus dude. Calm down Tom and this other dude are trying to keep you from messing up your car. Don't get upset, because you are trying to service an expensive german automobile and theres a very good reason they have plastic covers over things like that. So inexperienced people like yourself with hardly any knowhow cannot service their cars. This is not billy jimbob ford truck america stuff we are dealing with. Best to consult a trained professional, or get trained before freeballing on your possibly 20k+ vehicle
Hummm... You really think a Ford pickup is THAT less engineered and uncomplicated as a BMW? You've heard of EcoBoost I suppose...

Maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #34
Tom Moore
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Convertible

Yeah, like it's so obvious where things are in a bimmer--like the battery being in the trunk?
Appreciate 0