E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > If you have a CAI, careful of this...

09-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #23
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11 View Post
Interesting. Yea what he had you do with the driving was to heat the oil quickly and get the vapor to the top, hence the "pfft" when you opened the cap. It sounds like this happens to BMWs when conditions and temperatures are right for water vapor to form inside the crankcase/oil pan. So yea I guess I can see how it could be related then.
Honestly, that sound was a little disconcerting to me...but he said that's what he was hoping to hear. The car got pushed MUCH harder the next day and didn't throw any codes, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change the oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #24
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

How did you get water on the filter in the first place? I don't know how far down you have managed to adjust yours, but I would literally have to be flat on the ground, remove my undercarriage shield, and spray straight at the filter to even get water to touch it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #25
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
How did you get water on the filter in the first place? I don't know how far down you have managed to adjust yours, but I would literally have to be flat on the ground, remove my undercarriage shield, and spray straight at the filter to even get water to touch it.
Torrential downpours and then he washed it with a high pressure hose. See first post
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #26
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
As Jeff mentioned...I brainfarted and used a high pressure spray hose down by the fog light where the filter is.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #27
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11 View Post
What was the actual code you got? I don't see how spraying water on your intake filter caused an oil condition sensor, considering the two systems are completely separate... The oil condition sensor is inside the oil pan and measures oil level, viscosity, and temperature. A google search did however turn up a few cases of people getting such codes after hard track days. The "fix" was to simply reset the code and drive the car like normal. If it keeps coming back, you have to replace the sensor.

Not to mention you would have gotten less water into your engine than what people who sometimes spray meth/water mixes would get... I dunno but I have serious doubts that the code you got and your intake "bath" had anything to do with each other? The reality is that soaking the filter while washing the car isn't going to do anything bad to the car.

This. By the time the small amount of water is sucked up through the intake, turbos, intercooler, and charge pipe, I wonder if there is even enough left to do any damage.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #28
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Torrential downpours and then he washed it with a high pressure hose. See first post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
As Jeff mentioned...I brainfarted and used a high pressure spray hose down by the fog light where the filter is.
Ah. I guess I skimmed through it too fast to catch that.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #29
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
This. By the time the small amount of water is sucked up through the intake, turbos, intercooler, and charge pipe, I wonder if there is even enough left to do any damage.
Turbo's would likely chew that up and evaporate it to nothing. Downside is repeated abuse of large droplets on the turbine blades will deform them. The likelihood is slim. This is usually in the case of Pre turbo meth/water injection where the nozzles arent atomizing properly. Beyond the scope of this thread though.
Appreciate 0