E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Custom Catless Manifold + BMS Downpip Fix Install

03-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #89
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDemetris View Post
youre probably right. my noise level is pretty much where i want it to be anyways. I wouldnt mind some more power, but maybe with a tune ill be happier.. but i know what youre talking about. my friend's bike has no cats and its pretty bad, im sure a car engine would be even worse.
The benefit of keeping the oem design and deleting cats is the sound increase is almost zero but gains are there so nothing to worry about with that. I can barely hear my exhaust with all oem system but no cats. I was thinking of deleting my resonator.

My non stock system with larger piping, no cats and no res was waaaaay too loud though. That was mainly because of the pipe sizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Any type brand of cats will do instead of OEM ones?
I am actually thinking of using another set of stock mid pipes with some magnaflow high flow cats just so I don't have the smell.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #90
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
I am actually thinking of using another set of stock mid pipes with some magnaflow high flow cats just so I don't have the smell.
i was actually just thinking about the same thing.. too bad there's so little dyno info onour so idk if for me it would be worth it to switch to high flow cats further downstream

1985 Gazelle Beige 325e: Poly everything, e24 3.25 LSD, 225 lb weight reduction, Corbeau FX1, Shifter machined by me, roll bar, harness, all the other goodies. My "Racecar"...15x7 BBS RA
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #91
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDemetris View Post
i was actually just thinking about the same thing.. too bad there's so little dyno info onour so idk if for me it would be worth it to switch to high flow cats further downstream
I want to dyno first to see, but I highly doubt the secondaries will yield the benefits the main cats did. I felt immediate pep and a huge MPG boost after primary delete. Not so much with secondaries.

I am thinking of putting this in place of the resonator to change the sound and get rid of smell.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #92
ObiChen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11'E90 / 18'F82

Garage List
2018 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok. So I figured I would just post the crappy cell phone pic of the dyno results and a short video. Specs were as such:
  • Dynocom - bolted into wheel hubs
  • Stock Run on Chevron 94 - No ethanol
  • Header run - 92 grade containing ethanol from no name gas station
  • There was a ping in the run that didn't affect HP but threw max tq off
  • Despite the ping max tq was around 174 ft lbs. So around 20lbs gain
  • One of the runs showed 12 whp max gain - not super important because its the delta that matters
  • Greatest TQ gains are in the 2.5 to 3.5 rpm range
  • Video briefly shows flatter curves without ping
  • Best pulls were 5th and 4th base and headers respectively
  • Avg tq gains throughout the band were 14lbs
  • Avg hp gains were about 9.X
  • I highlighted the graph in pen because lines were faint
  • 6 pulls each time - best runs were taken, although the pull before the one on the graph had higher MAX HP and no ping if I remember correctly. I should of had him put that one on. I was in a daze when this went down because we had a baby the night before and I barely had any sleep. Yes. I dyno'd the day after having a child. Don't judge me.

why the curves look like hand drawn? Shouldn't them be printed out by computer?

edit: sorry didn't carefully read your notes

Last edited by ObiChen; 05-19-2013 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #93
makisupa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e70 X5 50i

Whatever happened to getting these made? Could we get them from you or did this go cold? Just curious for an update
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #94
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

^what he said
      05-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #95
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

theres still a set for sale now I think

1985 Gazelle Beige 325e: Poly everything, e24 3.25 LSD, 225 lb weight reduction, Corbeau FX1, Shifter machined by me, roll bar, harness, all the other goodies. My "Racecar"...15x7 BBS RA
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #96
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Thanks SDemetris. I have a set for sale in the classifieds. It was the first sample. I could make 100 tomorrow but the interest really seems lacking. I put the sample at a crazy low price too with gaskets. For this price, it has more gains than a tune and is cheaper and easier to install than an IM. Not sure what the deal is.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #97
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Obiwanchen bought my sample....is there any interest in more sets? A lot of interest but no one who is solidly committed. It will take a chunky investment for me to get more made. Will need to do around 10-15 sets. What say you oh N52 modders?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #98
TYNKUP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13' e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'd be very interested in purchasing a set if the price is right- Awesome work.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #99
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

count me in as long as the price is right.

also curious, can the error light be coded out instead of using the dp fix?
      05-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #100
makisupa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness

Also had the same question, and interested as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #101
bmwkyle
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Interested, would like to know the price. Plus without a tune, will the mpg still go up? I feel like without the primary cats the a/f ratio will be off and Ill be dumping more fuel causing less mpg than I'm getting now. I plan to keep the stock exhaust for sound reasons so Im wondering if the awful smell will be there with everything stock except the headers. Awesome work by the way, these things look legit.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #102
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuse328 View Post
I'd be very interested in purchasing a set if the price is right- Awesome work.
I am aiming to keep it at $700 and this includes all new main gaskets, which are over $100 from BMW. I could possibly even include gaskets for where the midpipes hook up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post

Light can be coded out by AA if you get their tune. This is probably the best bet to maximize everything, but gains are instantly noticeable and dyno proven without a tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makisupa View Post
Also had the same question, and interested as well.
see above

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwkyle View Post
Interested, would like to know the price. Plus without a tune, will the mpg still go up? I feel like without the primary cats the a/f ratio will be off and Ill be dumping more fuel causing less mpg than I'm getting now. I plan to keep the stock exhaust for sound reasons so Im wondering if the awful smell will be there with everything stock except the headers. Awesome work by the way, these things look legit.
Price I am aiming for is above. I notice MPG boost immediately. It was insane how much better it was. You will not notice the smell difference or a sound difference with the secondaries in place. It was only noticeable for me when I took out secondaries.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #103
makisupa
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the info OP! I'll be paying attention to this thread hoping more will want to jump on board so you can get some of these produced!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #104
bmwkyle
Rep

Yes, thanks for the information on this. I would like to hear from the person who bought your mock ups. See what he thinks of them. These looks very promising though.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #105
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makisupa View Post
Thanks for the info OP! I'll be paying attention to this thread hoping more will want to jump on board so you can get some of these produced!
well, as you could imagine, there is quite some money involved in making 10 to 15 sets. I guess I will make a decision in a few weeks.

Quote:
Yes, thanks for the information on this. I would like to hear from the person who bought your mock ups. See what he thinks of them. These looks very promising though.
The ones obiwanchen bought were built from the same jig as the ones on my car. They should fit perfect. He installs next week though and he will be FBO xdrive 328i. I hope he dynos cuz im itching to see all the gains. With the recent sale from active, the cost of my headers and if someone finds
a inexpensive 3 stage IM, it is becoming a lot cheaper to spruce these cars up.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #106
bmwkyle
Rep

What is the size on the outlet piping? Might be a noob question but I wonder if two high flow cats can be welded onto these headers. Like take a piece of pipe out and replace with high flow cats. I don't plan on getting a tune anytime soon (my last modified) so I would think the a/f ratio to good. Without those cats and o2 sensors in line, I feel like the ratio will be off. Am I wrong here or no?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #107
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well, as you could imagine, there is quite some money involved in making 10 to 15 sets. I guess I will make a decision in a few weeks.
I'm willing to pay a deposit if that helps...I assume others who are serious would be willing to do the same. Let's get these made!
      05-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #108
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
What is the size on the outlet piping? Might be a noob question but I wonder if two high flow cats can be welded onto these headers. Like take a piece of pipe out and replace with high flow cats. I don't plan on getting a tune anytime soon (my last modified) so I would think the a/f ratio to good. Without those cats and o2 sensors in line, I feel like the ratio will be off. Am I wrong here or no?
To be honest, I don't think the gains from HFC's alone would be worthwhile, given the cost of doing so. Maybe you could find cheap stock manifolds and do that. It would be better than buying mine then having cats put in. I don't see a big market in that for me to rebuild a jig based off a set with high flow cats. On the A/F topic. I can conclusively say without looking at ratios before and after. My experience is that my mpg improved greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
I'm willing to pay a deposit if that helps...I assume others who are serious would be willing to do the same. Let's get these made!
If I can get just two people to commit 50% down I am more than willing to put up the rest for 10-15 sets.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #109
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Obiwanchen bought my sample....is there any interest in more sets? A lot of interest but no one who is solidly committed. It will take a chunky investment for me to get more made. Will need to do around 10-15 sets. What say you oh N52 modders?
What is the price? I can commit if its within the range I'm expecting. 50% papal'd would be fine.

Its for Catless manifold correct?

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #110
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
What is the price? I can commit if its within the range I'm expecting. 50% papal'd would be fine.

Its for Catless manifold correct?

I am shooting for $700 a unit and that comes with new main gaskets. It would be for catless manifolds.
Appreciate 0