E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > In Search Of A Business Partner/Investor

10-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #23
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Still unemployed???
this can turn interesting
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #24
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
I'm in NY and looking to invest in something automobile related, but not really a custom shop. What i'd love is buy an Auto Dealership, maybe even a struggling one to turn around. I've even mentioned my aspirations on this board before...
you get an auto dealership let me know. ill pay for a small section of it for 2-3 cars on show floor and a desk
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #25
mesier1111
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
Do you need a partner cuz you're short of money or do you just have the ideas and no money at all? No one is gonna throw in $1-2 mil to fulfill your dreams. (I didn't mean to sound negitive)
Have you try getting a loan? This is the only way to start.
Not true.......many people will throw in that money to fullfil your dreams if they believe that your dreams will lead to filling their pcokets with money. Also, a car enthusiast who has money might help you as a fun project that he or she enters with the goal of just "breaking even". But you better be able to demonstrate you have the abilities to put these cars together, fabricate, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #26
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

BMWE90: I know finding a partner/investor is hard. I have met with many millionaires in the past year-year and a half. I really think it’s my age that gets to them. They all agree that I have the right plans, building plans, etc but to invest that kind of money to me is a downside. Start small I can do. All I need is a small garage with a lift I guess build the CSL debut that and follow on get attention from investors/partners and move buildings. Opening up a tuning shop is not hard. As long as you know the tuners for the cars you want to tune, where to get them, and have a team ready to install. Other than that you pay the bills for electricity, company, water, taxes, etc and you’re good. Keep promoting and your there. Keeping it simple is key in business. I know for a fact this is what I want to do its just starting it that is the hard part. I have all the resources and more than enough knowledge to get started, and your right I don’t know the real technical stuff about cars like capacitators but tuning wise I’m good.

Leejoobin: Are you Korean by any chance? Like any company to start they need to debut a special car. WCC now has their Project Shelby which I believe debuted their new shop, Unique had many debuts, and CEC numerous debuts from all their brands. The CSL in the US will be a first. Once I have all the parts it would take me 20-25 days max to build it then off to D/A or AA for the custom software it needs to run the max c/f intake and cams. I don’t want to ask my parent’s for money. Like them I want to venture out on my own find my own ways and get established.

Expired: Of course people tune their cars. I too used to be like no one tunes but later on you notice the world is so big and there are so many things that we don’t see. Take a look at companies like CEC, WCC, Unique, and Wicked. People love buying tuned cars to make themselves stick out; either that or they are a enthusiast.

335rocket: That is great. A home is the best investment you will make. My uncle has a apartment in the upper east side of Manhattan and that small place is more expensive then my two floor regular house lol. The biggest and best step in life is buying a home. Grats and GL with that.

Jmramos44: thanks for the support!!

SE3P: College I believe has nothing to do with a tuning shop. Its either you majoring in business which I am doing right now or going to a school like Wyotech to learn about cars. Expecptations are pretty realistic. Im not hoping someone would throw down the cash for me. Ive been searching for a year to a half now and will continue college until I can find someone to start with. It is a big leap but if some of the guys I spoke to really took me more seriously despite my age it would have been gold. Having a degree from Harvard won’t do you any good in a car tuning shop. It’s the work you do with cars that displays your capabilities and potential. Investor wise, I see your point on the college degree from a top tier school. But I believe for a car tuning business its more the plans, marketing, etc you show them that will get their attention. Not one of the many millionaires I met with asked what college I am attending. They all liked the plan but from my age I believe is the downfall and having doubts of my capabilities. The $100k+ I made from eBay of course I will invest into the company. Over the years eBay got really strict about auctions and they ultimately came to conclusion my auctions were not ligitament items thus I can’t sell anymore. But I have made a good amount from just selling digital items which got delivered through e-mail.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #27
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesier1111 View Post
Not true.......many people will throw in that money to fullfil your dreams if they believe that your dreams will lead to filling their pcokets with money. Also, a car enthusiast who has money might help you as a fun project that he or she enters with the goal of just "breaking even". But you better be able to demonstrate you have the abilities to put these cars together, fabricate, etc.
+1 on that
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #28
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

hey bud,
i wasn't talking about going to school to get a degree in cars... i was simply noting the fact that investors will be more inclined to invest in you (and your potential company) provided you have an extensive knowledge in the tuning industry. It's similar to mergers and acquisitions of investment banks; except, this time, it's a startup company and you're looking for startup funds.

If you don't have the appropriate tools/data for market research, i find it highly unlikely that an investor will throw you a huge sum of money on the risk that you'll pull through.

Then there's the point of marketing, advertising, client allocation, etc.

Being from NY, there are a TON of tuning shops that are disguised as high import dealers. I live next to a high-end import car dealer -- which a bigger garage than showroom to do their mods. Also, there's a lamborghini/bentley dealer that does a lot of tuning as well.

These firms have an established reputable status. You, provided you start up, will be hard-pressed to find the necessary technicians (that have intensive knowledge on tuning high-end imports), let alone hire them and offer them a pay package with incentives that surpass these huge dealers.

What type of business model are you using when considering your potential business? and how old are you btw?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #29
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

^thanks for your input. do you live in MD or NY? are you speaking of Bentley/Lambo/ETC of manhattan? the building you speak of is exactly the same setup. larger back and small front with just a showroom for 1 car even 2 car is pushin it. i have a team already that have been established and know their way around the cars i want to tune. they all have their own little shops.

so if i had the money to start i have the resources, plans, etc i need to get started. i would still use their shops if my buidling is full they help me and i them. i have a team ready is what im trying to say. x2 installers+theircrew, 1 tinter, and me to make buildsheets, order parts, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #30
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Let me get this straight. You have an idea to open a shop and not some small time stuff. Stuff that will take big bucks and you automatically think it will work.

I'm not trying to be negative but lets get real. You are very young no one will be willing to risk all their money while you lose nothing. It has to be a win-win situation.

Also you plan to buy out your partner? If the business starts doing really well that won't be fair at all.

Also there are numerous shops that already have settled themself. Just because you love talking about cars all the time does not mean you will know what to do. Have you ever gotten dirty and rebuilt an engine or tranny? Ever rebuilt a whole car? Do you have any mechincal knowledge and have you worked for anywhere?

I mean I am pretty sure I around your age, but these are ideas I had when I was younger and into that whole Import Tuning stuff.

I mean keep going for it but be realistic and realize some stuff. Also you stated you made 100k off ebay? Where is that money then? 100k is a lot of money especially at 14 where is that cash?
      10-24-2007, 11:03 AM   #31
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

anybody know the owner of wide world of cars in spring valley? they are making a new dealership right down the street and moving the ferrari/maserati down there and making the other building a full bmw dealership.

i had this idea awhile go if i can speak to him and get me a desk at the new dealership with ferrari and have room for 1 car on the showroom floor thats a start. i can get clients tune their cars from my team and drive it back to the dealer for pickup.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #32
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Unemployed, and will be willing to move.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #33
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
^thanks for your input. do you live in MD or NY? are you speaking of Bentley/Lambo/ETC of manhattan? the building you speak of is exactly the same setup. larger back and small front with just a showroom for 1 car even 2 car is pushin it. i have a team already that have been established and know their way around the cars i want to tune. they all have their own little shops.

so if i had the money to start i have the resources, plans, etc i need to get started. i would still use their shops if my buidling is full they help me and i them. i have a team ready is what im trying to say. x2 installers+theircrew, 1 tinter, and me to make buildsheets, order parts, etc.
i go to school in Baltimore, MD
I live in Long Island.
the bentley lambo is of westbury or hicksville. right off of exit 39 on the LIE
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #34
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

You still failed to answer any of my questions...
Ok, putting the entire startup funds aside, and building processes aside...

1. What business/math model are you using in planning this project?
2. Have you allocated an appropriate target clientele base?
3. What does your projected balance sheet look like? Statment of Cash flows?
4. Have you done the tuning industry/market research?
5. What are the barriers to entry (without taking startup funds into consideration)?

I have a million other questions, but if you can answer these legitimately, i'll surely be impressed and give you kudos for your efforts.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #35
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

1. No clue what your talking about on model.

2. Clientele base target is not planned. you do your job and along way get gain clientele with customers, magazines, debuts, etc. its the debut of the company that is important. debut is like a one shot deal for first impressions. business is a competition and a game. goals are to go ahead of Unique, WCC, Wicked, and CEC. all got their own + and -s. for example Wicked is amazing for their tuning of porsches, downside they don't have a build showroom like CEC so their business is strictly based on magazines, clientele and recognition.

3. balance sheet, etc once again keep it simple. customer comes in wants work done. they talk to me and we discuss project targets. i build a build sheet, he sign a contract i tune and get paid once the job is done. this is how cec, wcc, and unique all do their business. you come in, we talk on plans, i give you an estimate on target, you sign contract, let me finish the job, i finish, you come in look at it/feedback, i get paid and off you go.

4. what research do you need in the tuning industry? the way i see it you either know your stuff or you don't. the key thing is resources. installers, tinters, etc.

5. my other entry of start is teaming up with a dealer renting a small section of it with one car on the show room floor and using my team and their shop for the tuning until i make enough $$ or get a investor/partner to open up my own building.

keep it simple. no reason to go get complex
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #36
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

hl0m4n,

I commend you for your effort.

However I just have some questions for you:

Have you've done any secondary marketing research or paid for primary marketing research on the current environment of the tuner market, demographics, revenues, market saturation, locations and then relate that to your ultimate target market?

What will be your defining differentiator? Why you? Why your company?

What gaps in the market place are you looking to fill that the industry is ignoring?

What business threats could you possibly face? (trends, economy, lifestyle changes...etc.)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #37
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

^thank you for your support. i do not fully understand what you mean by secondary marketing research. but if you are speaking about researching or paying a person to conduct best locations, current status of the tuner market, and make me a company profit chart, etc no. I blieve this is not needed. i mean take a look at Unique, they are located in the middle of a residentual area, yet they get what needs to be done for the company. thats all the matters.

Location is key in a business. Like i said i am willing to move anywhere but the key locations in general would be cali, florida, and tristate area.

Differentiator, this company will be established as an all around tuning shop. not just a tuning shop that uses just branded materials like cec (brabus, lorinser, etc) not just sound systems and huge chrome rims on european cars (cec and wcc) but bring forth heritage and culture back into the tuning industry. i don't see cars like the way these guys do. i see cars for the way they are the stance, origin, etc. something like putting 20-22" rims on a m5 is just ridiculous. you need some sporty rims like bbs, neez, champion, etc that follows the heritage of bmw, carbon fiber accents, vorsteiner, hamann, ac schnitzer, etc all mixed to create one perfect solution for the customer. not just ok i can get you something of what you want, take a look at the lorinser benz here.

Threats- this is the element of surprise in business. it can't be predicted but overall i can't see any. To each their own start and grow. CEC, Unique, and WCC and the company will have nothing affilated with eachother. In the future i plan on teaming up with Wicked and putting their cars in my showroom and help them grow as they do me. after establishment we open another building and keep developing on that. way later, we would also have marketing our own brand of performance parts.

the gaps i will fill... simple there are many tuning shops out there, wcc, unique, wicked, and cec. each company is not 100% in my view. 100% tuning is performance, interior, exterior, and sound. WCC is mainly interior and audio/video, cec is just brand name stuff, wicked is stricly porsches, and wcc is strictly exterior, and video/audio. to keep short, this company will be established as a one stop place for everytyhing a complete 100% shop.

Cars will always be in our lifestyle and i don't see tuning cars going down anytime soon. car market is great new innovations, et comming out and its going to be amazing.

PS: anyone want to be first to own a CSL
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #38
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Secondary research is based on public information such as publications (magazines, studies by gov't, etc). It's just general information relevant to your industry. Primary research is specific for your business (e.g. your sales, business strategy, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #39
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Date Started:
Unique - 1984
CEC - 1990
WCC - 1993

Make sure you keep that in mind, with success comes patience. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #40
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

^ thanks man. but don't you mean with patience comes sucess?

i forgot to write this but overal, the big picture, a tuning shop is a tuning shop. yes they have a little differences in what they tune but essentially all comes down to reputation of company and sucess that makes them all different.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #41
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
Secondary research is based on public information such as publications (magazines, studies by gov't, etc). It's just general information relevant to your industry. Primary research is specific for your business (e.g. your sales, business strategy, etc.)
if i make company you guys will be a sponsor for me no

hey i got your hamann roof life spoiler today. tell nick i said thanks very much. i just got to give it to my friend now
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #42
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
I'm in NY and looking to invest in something automobile related, but not really a custom shop. What i'd love is buy an Auto Dealership, maybe even a struggling one to turn around. I've even mentioned my aspirations on this board before...
hey any ida what dealer you want to renovate? if its a bmw, benz, etc dealership let me know. you can be a dealer + me on the side tuning cars .

if anyone knows the owner of wide world or somebody high let me know please or any other dealer for the matter. thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #43
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
hey any ida what dealer you want to renovate? if its a bmw, benz, etc dealership let me know. you can be a dealer + me on the side tuning cars .

if anyone knows the owner of wide world or somebody high let me know please or any other dealer for the matter. thanks
The amount of capital needed for a line Like BMW or Benz would likely be cost prohibitive.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #44
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Dude, not to be an ass, but the pitch you're trying to "sell" is even less than primitive. First and foremost, you have no idea what a balance sheet is... you think a customer comes in, you work on the car, and it's over? that's a joke... You talk about debut, yet again, how are you going to get yourself heard?

It's actually a little bit shocking that you think it's as simple as... open a shop, demand is there, done deal... if that was the case, guess what, there would be tuning shops on every street corner; but there isn't. Why?

Keep in mind, you're looking for an investor; you're not playing the lotto.
If someone lends you money, there's long term liabilities. How will you pay it back? Will there be dividend payments? If your business tanks, what then?

You have to think about all this. Based on your responses, it's not as simple as you put it. I commend your efforts man, but do your homework.
Appreciate 0