E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > What Tools Do You Use to Clean Your Wheels?

11-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #23
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Anyone use a drill attachment for wheels?

When searching I found this:
Name:  10979.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  39.2 KB

But I don't like it for obvious reasons (scratches).

But this looks awesome:
Name:  classic-motoring_1969_5996488.gif
Views: 281
Size:  33.6 KBName:  PwrStickBMW.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  42.1 KBName:  PwrStickPr.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  33.9 KB

Blackfire Powerstick.

I'm going to have to buy it. I'll post review. The only worry is metal-metal, which I'll just have to be very careful about.

BTW, I use soap and water only, with a wheel brush and dedicated towel, to clean my wheels (currently).

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer of brushes for the drill, for the lug nuts? Must be SOFT.

Anyone have experience using the cordless drill for rims?

Edit - found other makers of the 'Powerstick', including White Knight, from Excel Detail. I'll have to research some comparisons before buying.

Edit#2 - I don't think either of the shafts is made of metal. Prices seem comparable. Found a favorable review of the White Knight Powerstick on Autopia....hmmm....

Last edited by Neurorad; 11-06-2007 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #24
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon View Post
i just use car soap and water, and use a half a sponge. as for the inside rim, i just clean where my hand can reach. i apply wheel wax every so often.

i wash my wheels first. then i proceed to wash the rest of the car (with a different bucket of water and car soap of course).
x2!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 11:56 PM   #25
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon View Post
i just use car soap and water, and use a half a sponge. as for the inside rim, i just clean where my hand can reach. i apply wheel wax every so often.

i wash my wheels first. then i proceed to wash the rest of the car (with a different bucket of water and car soap of course).
+3

I clean as much as I can reach, which is most of the wheel. I just use car wash soap and a wheel-only mitt. On the front wheels, I use a brush to help reach the far inside of the rim, but on the rears, the brush won't fit past the brake disc so I just reach back and get as much as I can with the mitt.

I don't bother rolling the car to get the area under the brakes that I miss, but that's really the only part I miss. I figure that with the next week's wash, I'll get that part (and miss another part), so they always look almost perfect but not quite. Close enough for me.

I also use a brush on the tires and wash and dress them weekly, too.

IMO, the wheels make the car. If they look really clean, the car looks ultra clean.
      11-07-2007, 07:35 AM   #26
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rit View Post
I've wondered the same thing. I was hoping somebody would pipe up and say so if it does.

Wha? Really? Dude, that's "car fingernails". Gotta keep 'em clean or it detracts from everything else! LOL

Here's mine from this morning.
Wow, nice wheel, but let be serious for a moment, how many miles are on your car when you took that picture? Still, they are as good as new.
      11-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #27
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Sorry, resurrected this thread from the dead.

Any one see/use this? Lug brush, for drill or with handle:

Name:  classic-motoring_1971_30351202.gif
Views: 259
Size:  33.2 KBName:  LugBrush4.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  45.3 KBName:  LugBrush7.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  50.3 KB

Found it at Properautocare.com, under New Car Care Products
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #28
Neurorad
Major
Rep

I think the Black Fire Powerstick and the White Knight Powerstick are the exact same product, sorry guys.

Same prices, product #'s, appearance.

Different sites have slapped their own names on to the product.

Well, makes the decision a lot easier...

Link to inventor of Powerstick (White Knight):

http://whiteknightpowerstick.wikispaces.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #29
BMWGator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

''Wheel Shield and Chrome Guard''...anyone use this?

Newbie here...

Has anyone heard of this product?....''Wheel Shield and Chrome Guard''?

I happened to be watching a car show (on ESPN2 or something) and they talked about this product, so was wondering if anyone has used it.

I don't have chrome wheels (mine are alloy wheels with polished stainless steel lip) and wonder if this ''Chrome Guard'' stuff is ok to use on non-chrome wheels.

http://www.thegsmstore.net/bg-whlshld1.htm

----------------------------------------------------
Detailed Information: WHEEL SHIELD / CHROME GUARD

With WHEEL SHIELD you simply spray the metal mag portion of the wheels and allow it to dry. Once dry you'll have a non-stick invisible coating that protects for up to a year. Wheel Shield's protective barrier makes it difficult for oil, grease, mud, road grime and corrosive brake dust to stick to the wheel and what does, is a snap to remove. No more heavy scrubbing or using harmful chemicals to remove the brake dust from your expensive wheels ...now a spray from the hose and a gentle wipe from a cloth and the materials come right off. Wheel Shield creates a long lasting shield of protection making cleaning of your wheels quick and easy.

Wheel Shield is a water based product designed to coat and protect all types of wheels and wheel covers. It is non-hazardous, non-flammable and can handle high heat from any wheel without breaking down. To apply, simply spray on to a clean and dry wheel and let it dry. That's it, you now have a protective barrier that stops corrosive brake dust from eating away at your expensive wheels and best of all, one application can last up to one full year.*

----------------------------------
With CHROME GUARD you get a protective coating that repels bugs, tree sap, pollution, bird droppings, acid rain etc. and stops damaging corrosion from winter salts and chemicals. Apply it by simply spraying the surface with a light coat of Chrome Guard and allow to dry, that's it. Once applied, nothing will penetrate or contaminate the chrome or metal areas that you treated and the protection can last up to a year.

*Length of protection depends upon environmental conditions the wheel is subjected too and the initial coverage of the wheel when applied.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #30
fragadellic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe BSM

Interesting. I have the OEM Style 230 wheels which I think are probably one of the easiest to keep clean, not only because they have nearly no sharp corners for dust to accumulate, but because the spokes are so far apart I can get my hand inside the wheel to clean the inner rim when washing them.

When I did the initial new car detail on May 31 (thanks to Picus's guide) I removed all 4 wheels in turn and washed them inside and out and clayed the outer surfaces. Then sealed twice with Poorboys Sealant. Since then the PB has made removal of brake dust a piece of cake. In between washes I dust the wheels with the $8 Microfiber Wheel Duster from Bavarian Autosport (Item# (not where I got it, but they have it too), and use a mf towel with either distilled water or QD to pick up any dust that it missed. Here's a picture of the duster.

Before the end of the month, I will probably pull all the wheels off again and wash/clay/seal them again. I figure every 6 months is a reasonable schedule to keep them looking good and the dust just rinsing off at each wash.

11-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #31
szeleung
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90, 6 Speed, Black/Black

It is so hard to put wheel sealant on the entire wheel, you simply can't reach that far. Is there a way to wax the inner area of the wheels without taking them off. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #32
fragadellic
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szeleung View Post
It is so hard to put wheel sealant on the entire wheel, you simply can't reach that far. Is there a way to wax the inner area of the wheels without taking them off. Thanks.
I don't think there is. I have cut my fingers on the brake shield too many times to mess with that. Pulling them off if you have the low profile jack and adapter is pretty simple. I'm actually due to pull all 4 and wash/clay/seal them...

Of course, I doubt there are many people who would go to this extreme either!!
      11-17-2007, 04:59 AM   #33
rit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by szeleung View Post
I've been using the EZ Detail Brush that I bought at AutoGeek.net. Let's me get to the back of the wheels without scraping my knuckles:

Of course, I don't use the brush dry. I use soap and water. Also, I'll sometimes wrap a microfiber cloth around a smaller 11" brush to polish the insides of the wheel. That's just a cheap brush I had lying around the garage. It looks something like this one from Mothers:

Unfortunately, right now my car is an absolute MESS. It's illegal to wash our cars at home here in Atlanta due to the drought, and I haven't had time to take it to to the self-serve place down the road. It's been THREE WEEKS - the most ever since I got my car a little over a year ago. Hopefully I'll get down there today. Pretty bad when it's embarrassing to drive a BMW.

335i Sedan | Arctic Metallic | Black Leather / Light Poplar | All Options
Read About My Performance Center Delivery (with Pics)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #34
fragadellic
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rit View Post
I've been using the EZ Detail Brush that I bought at AutoGeek.net. Let's me get to the back of the wheels without scraping my knuckles.
I can't tell you how many times I have cut the tops of my fingers on the goddamn brake shield. But that's what I get for trying to clean the whole inside of the wheel. Lately I have been wrapping my hand in the mf cloth (my wheel-only ones) which provides a bit of protection...
      11-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #35
szeleung
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90, 6 Speed, Black/Black

Great idea man. I am gonna get me some EZ brush... la la la.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #36
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

most store bought wheel cleaners will eventually wear out the clear coat on the wheels, then you will get brake dust pits, then you wheels will get stained...

in my opinion only use spray wheel cleaners IF ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY

otherwise just take time to clean them using a MF mitt and the same soap you wash the car with,
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #37
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragadellic View Post
I can't tell you how many times I have cut the tops of my fingers on the goddamn brake shield. But that's what I get for trying to clean the whole inside of the wheel. Lately I have been wrapping my hand in the mf cloth (my wheel-only ones) which provides a bit of protection...
If your hand is inside a wash mitt, doesn't that provide protection enough?