E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My Open Source N54 DME Flashing Project

04-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #23
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Open Source DME writing is way over my head, but welcome to forum! Sub'd.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #24
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Open Source DME writing is way over my head, but welcome to forum! Sub'd.
Using open source software is no different, to the user, than using ATR. The only differences is that it isn't restricted in terms of map availability/access. You would be able to read/write tuning files from/for other open source users. Basically, nothing is hidden/restricted in the name of IP protection. The open source approach is also considerably lower priced since all you are paying for is basic hardware and because support is community-driven, not by a private for-profit company. Pretty exciting stuff
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #25
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

OP, If you plan on developing this further, will you use an existing project like RomRaider? This seems slightly more sane than developing an entire UI from scratch.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
Roy Cormier
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E92 335i

Garage List
E92 BMW 335i  [0.00]
E92 BMW M3  [0.00]
Subscribed! I was thinking about trying to do this, haven't gotten around to it yet though. What are you using for hardware?

If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn....... Then, you have enough horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #27
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Using open source software is no different, to the user, than using ATR. The only differences is that it isn't restricted in terms of map availability/access. You would be able to read/write tuning files from/for other open source users. Basically, nothing is hidden/restricted in the name of IP protection. The open source approach is also considerably lower priced since all you are paying for is basic hardware and because support is community-driven, not by a private for-profit company. Pretty exciting stuff
Gotcha, I suppose I meant the heavy lifting involved ingetting to the point where you have full control over all of the tables. Totally agree, this is a very exciting time for the N54 community

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #28
Rombinhood@OpenFlash
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Hoser View Post
OP, If you plan on developing this further, will you use an existing project like RomRaider? This seems slightly more sane than developing an entire UI from scratch.
You are 100% correct. I'm not a UI guy (although I have a very good one setting next to me). But with the help of others on this forum who have already offered to help, we will probably adopt an off-the-shelf freeware tuning interface like RomRaider, Tuner Pro RT, etc. Once I'm given all the map definitions, descriptions and scaling/unit info, we can put something out there very quickly. The nice thing about getting the whole community involved is that cool things can happen very quickly since we do this for fun and don't have to fill out daily TPS reports
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #29
Rombinhood@OpenFlash
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Cormier View Post
Subscribed! I was thinking about trying to do this, haven't gotten around to it yet though. What are you using for hardware?
Right now i'm using a hacked $15 OBD2 diagnostic cable (from Amazon) with my Macbook. Although this is temporary. My short-term plan is do be able to do it all through a handheld device like a iphone or ipod. The screen resolution and touch sensitivity on those devices are so good (maybe I'm a little biased ) that they can truly be substitute for a laptop when doing something as simple as map editing/flashing.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #30
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

Ah, the good ol' hex editor. brings me sweet memories of hacking old software.
i can't believe the rom is only 2.1mb tho, is that really true?

have you posted the current code somewhere? i'm highly intrigued.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #31
2000max
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 Evo RS

So we just need to get a bunch of people up and running on disassembling the ROM? It will be interesting to see what the fueling disassembly looks like and what we can do with it! I'd love for some way to get the o2 sensors out of the manifold on the single turbos.

FWIW ecuflash provides an xml file that can be edited as new features/new tables are defined within the ROM

Thank you for posting this, I can't wait to see what comes out of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #32
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by RombinHood2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Cormier View Post
Right now i'm using a hacked $15 OBD2 diagnostic cable (from Amazon) with my Macbook. Although this is temporary. My short-term plan is do be able to do it all through a handheld device like a iphone or ipod. The screen resolution and touch sensitivity on those devices are so good (maybe I'm a little biased ) that they can truly be substitute for a laptop when doing something as simple as map editing/flashing.
Definitely biased. As soon as i fix my galaxy s2 screen, this iphone is back in to paperweight status!

Very interested in the project though. And if you have to make it for Mac...at leastmake it for the ipad. I would actually use one of those.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #33
Rombinhood@OpenFlash
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
Ah, the good ol' hex editor. brings me sweet memories of hacking old software.
i can't believe the rom is only 2.1mb tho, is that really true?

have you posted the current code somewhere? i'm highly intrigued.
The portion of the memory which we read/write to is only 2.1mb. This is the portion with all the mapping data from what I can tell. My code will definitely be refined to some degree before release. I also need to make sure we have recovery modes in place just in case there is a communication loss during the write process while would otherwise render the DME a pricey paperweight.

And hacking is sweet!

Thanks for the encouragement/support!

Last edited by Rombinhood@OpenFlash; 04-15-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #34
Rombinhood@OpenFlash
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000max View Post
So we just need to get a bunch of people up and running on disassembling the ROM? It will be interesting to see what the fueling disassembly looks like and what we can do with it! I'd love for some way to get the o2 sensors out of the manifold on the single turbos.

FWIW ecuflash provides an xml file that can be edited as new features/new tables are defined within the ROM

Thank you for posting this, I can't wait to see what comes out of it.
Yes, the more people we get behind the disassembly project the better! Tomorrow night, I have a meet up with someone who has offered to help me get the ball rolling.

Maybe we can start a new sub-forum here devoted specifically to open source development?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #35
09BMW335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
this is a great achievement. THe only down side i would see is if you have this type of open source programming lets call it. You have people that would grab not read anything and start changing thing. It could be a huge mess however, it would allow us users to really dig deep into the relam of the N54 motor and others to see how the software really works.

I am all for this. It would really get us closer to get even more out of this great motor.

Cant wait to see more
09 335i Sport --MHD (Tune by Wedge )--Inlet System by Trueform Technologies --Tial BOV--Macht Schnell Catless Downpipes--AMS FMIC--Walbro 455 LPFP--HPF Gen2 Exhaust--SPEC Stage 3+ clutch / billet steel flywheel--
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #36
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BMW335i View Post
this is a great achievement. THe only down side i would see is if you have this type of open source programming lets call it. You have people that would grab not read anything and start changing thing. It could be a huge mess however, it would allow us users to really dig deep into the relam of the N54 motor and others to see how the software really works.

I am all for this. It would really get us closer to get even more out of this great motor.

Cant wait to see more
If you drive your car off a cliff, your car would be a huge mess as well. Both of these statements are facts. With that said, if you don't want your car to be a 'huge mess' I'd advise not driving your car off a cliff. Cause and Effect. Nobody needs to remind you that driving your car off a cliff is bad, and there is no difference here. If you mess up your DME because you tried to code something or flash a bad file to your OWN car on your OWN time, then thats your bad, sorry.

Regarding the OP, this is probably some of the best tuning news we have heard in a while. Please, provide this man the support he needs! If you want to setup a paypal donation fund, I would support that.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #37
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
Regarding the OP, this is probably some of the best tuning news we have heard in a while. Please, provide this man the support he needs! If you want to setup a paypal donation fund, I would support that.
Consider him supported
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #38
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
If you drive your car off a cliff, your car would be a huge mess as well. Both of these statements are facts. With that said, if you don't want your car to be a 'huge mess' I'd advise not driving your car off a cliff. Cause and Effect. Nobody needs to remind you that driving your car off a cliff is bad, and there is no difference here. If you mess up your DME because you tried to code something or flash a bad file to your OWN car on your OWN time, then thats your bad, sorry.

Exactly. Too many idiots around here who don't put in the time or energy to read. Let them learn the hard way. Rombinhood2, you are a hero, and I look forward to seeing you and your team do things that would go way the hell over my head. Tuning from an iPad would be quite entertaining...
      04-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #39
09BMW335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
I am also done for throwing some funding into the open source if we get enough people willing to support
09 335i Sport --MHD (Tune by Wedge )--Inlet System by Trueform Technologies --Tial BOV--Macht Schnell Catless Downpipes--AMS FMIC--Walbro 455 LPFP--HPF Gen2 Exhaust--SPEC Stage 3+ clutch / billet steel flywheel--
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #40
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

Wow this is great news! I've been hoping something like this would happen. I was deeply involved with open source hacking on the DSM ecu and I had a great time with it. Then I moved on to the 1987 Porsche 944 DME (ecu) and hacked it easily with a little help. No prob since the entire chip is just 4k, even though the code base was entirely new to me. The first time I opened up the e9x DME I was pleasantly surprised to see the format was extremely similar to the old Bosch DME in my Porsche. Thanks to the old code I already know how to format the header info that preceeds each table so the rpm, load, volts, ect can line up properly. I think that will make it easier to communicate with other users.

So yeah, count me in!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #41
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Is there a PayPal donation account setup?

I'll fund some R&D.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #42
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
This is another amazing step forward for our platform! This is how tuning and community should be!

Thank you Rombinhood and your colleagues for stepping forward with this! Also, I'm glad to see Shiv taking part in the fun!

I too am willing to fund some R&D with a donation to keep the momentum going.

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #43
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RombinHood2 View Post
Thanks for the kind reply! I'm not exceptionally familiar with the Android platform to tell the truth. But let's just say I work for their competition here in Cupertino But whipping up a datalogging/display device that feeds CAN info off of the OBD2 port is relatively simple compared to writing/reading the DME ROM since it doesn't require any encryption keys or checksum calculations. It can be done at the basic diagnostic level. My colleague has already written a program that does so via iPhone. Porting over my little DME read/writing program does seem to be the next natural step.
In
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #44
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Based on the limited number of people who are using ATR right now I feel like there won't be many people that would jump into this blindly and get in over their heads. It will probably be a very small community at first but hopefully will grow.

I don't know the first thing about ECU hacking but I've got a lot of ATR experience and will help out with that side of it whenever possible.