E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > OT: The Official UFC Chat Thread

06-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #2025
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
lol yeah he first promo for ufc 162 is like...... the great one will fight...... this guy...... xD
All of the Silva fans are talking a huge amount of trash, which is cool and expected. "Who's this undefeated dude I've never heard of" - but that's fine. Chris is a beast, and as somebody who knows him personally - for a guy that is getting into the ring with the GOAT I can tell you nobody is as calm and focused as he is going to be. He's also one of the most humble guys I know, but the UFC is "Shaping" him to try and be a loud mouth because they know guys like Sonnen sell tickets with his mouth not his fists. He's not very good at it though...

I'm just going to keep quiet until July 6th, then we'll all have our answers - but I have no doubt that regardless of the outcome, the UFC world is going to know exactly who Chris Weidman is on July 7th.
      06-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #2026
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Listen sunshine, I'm a fan of the sport. The promo literally shows what I said in my last post. In mma, anything can happen. You could come in hurt, you may be mentally thinking of something else and not in the zone. Heck, you might just get sick day of the weigh-ins.

Do I think Chris will win? Unlikely. Do I think he's got no chance of winning, heck no. I've followed all of his bouts in ufc. He's good.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #2027
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Listen sunshine, I'm a fan of the sport. The promo literally shows what I said in my last post. In mma, anything can happen. You could come in hurt, you may be mentally thinking of something else and not in the zone. Heck, you might just get sick day of the weigh-ins.

Do I think Chris will win? Unlikely. Do I think he's got no chance of winning, heck no. I've followed all of his bouts in ufc. He's good.
Exactly, anyone who's an MMA fan, knows Weidman is a legit threat but unfortunately not many else know who he is, which was the reason Anderson originally didnt want to fight him.

The UFC knows this very well, which is why they made that first promo like that, fighters your who your average fan would know who they are, vouching for Weidman as a legit contender.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #2028
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #2029
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Pumped for this fight! Just watched Countdown which was great.

I found this article very interesting

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...-Weidman-53607

Basically if it stays on the feet it will be a quick night but if it goes to the ground CW has the edge.

CW will also have to overcome his lack of experience and the huge layoff. He seem to be in the right mind frame but when he goes out there headlining an event for the first time after 1 year it's going to have an effect on him, maybe he could use it to his advantage.

AS is too good but my main concern is his age. In MMA he should be well past his prime but he still looks unstoppable at 185 and 205. He's no slouch on the ground either. Even if he does get taken down every round starts on the feet and all he needs is a few seconds to finish the fight.

I also think there is too much hype for CW coming from people that are close to him, or people that want to see AS fail. If CW had faced and beaten other middleweight fighters such as Belfort, Hendo, Sonnen, Moussasi, or Bisping it would be easier to believe the hype. I think he would have a tough fight against all of those fighters but he hasn't faced any of them. His 2 best names so far are Munoz and Maia, both of which are not on AS's level.

I'm not saying CW can't win, it's just extremely unlikely when he is facing the greatest pound for pound mma fighter of all time. Definitely not a CW hater, if anything he has a very likeable person but I can't envision him putting the beat down on AS.

AS by KO in 1st or 2nd.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #2030
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Kiss of Death?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #2031
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Gracious in loss. much respect

But that's what you get for fucking around!

Last edited by san~man; 07-06-2013 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #2032
Motif
Gruppa krovi-na rukave
Rep
Drives: Something loud and heavy

I am going to bed a happy man. Roger lost and Silva got KO'd, great night in my book.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #2033
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Like I said...

Anderson showed no class or respect for the sport by trying to taunt him and that's what happens.

And trying to say "You gave the belt up to spend more time with your family, but you are still going to fight?" Lol what a cop out.

"I gave this fight up because I am so good I am tired of being so good"
      07-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #2034
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Rule number 1 keep your hands up, if you don't eventually you get caught, I new one day he would, this is what he gets for clowning just like the other show boaters in the past Ali, Roy Jones, Zab Judah and so on......
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #2035
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I'm at a loss for words. I really can't believe how it unfolded.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #2036
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Same here, but at the same time, the ppv was a fun watch besides the kennedy gracie fight. Glad to see Munoz back!

Iono, this whole Silva thing is weird. Throughout the whole thing, I felt like he didn't care anymore and was ok with the notion of just losing. His fitting style this time around was really I don't give a fuck anymore and was a lot more extreme than even his previous fights. Not taking anything away from Weidman cuz he deserves the spotlight now but it just feels weird.

Doesn't help that the Brazilian news had some articles on questioning whether Silva was gonna continue fighting after the Weidman fight (pre ufc 162) and a friend of mine sent this to me to see:

[u2b]KDWJEWVhANg?t=4m57s[/u2b]

Like I said, congrats to Weidman but I don't know what to think anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #2037
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
His hands were down and he got rocked, If you look at some of his other fights he did the same, it was just a matter of time, RJ use to do the same flashy punching with his hands on his sides, and guess what Antonio Tarver timed him and layed him out.

Gotta give Weidman props he timed him and it was not hard to do with the arms down. In a rematch I think Sylva can beat him, he just needs to fight him and take it seriously, and STOP the clowning...lol....lol...

Last edited by lastMleft; 07-07-2013 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #2038
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same here, but at the same time, the ppv was a fun watch besides the kennedy gracie fight. Glad to see Munoz back!

Iono, this whole Silva thing is weird. Throughout the whole thing, I felt like he didn't care anymore and was ok with the notion of just losing. His fitting style this time around was really I don't give a fuck anymore and was a lot more extreme than even his previous fights. Not taking anything away from Weidman cuz he deserves the spotlight now but it just feels weird.

Doesn't help that the Brazilian news had some articles on questioning whether Silva was gonna continue fighting after the Weidman fight (pre ufc 162) and a friend of mine sent this to me to see:

[u2b]KDWJEWVhANg?t=4m57s[/u2b]

Like I said, congrats to Weidman but I don't know what to think anymore.
WOW thanks for the Video, I did not see it before, sounds like he is done dosent want to fight anymore, he dosent care, can't win if you don't care.

Thanks again....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #2039
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I saw that video this morning too. I think there will be a lot of conspiracy theories and the journalists are doing a good job of explaining what actually happened. Full credit goes to CW, he did what he needed to do. As a huge AS fan, it was hard to see him lose like that. I think this was a legitimate loss.

I know styles makes fight and the taunting is part of AS's style. He's successfully used it before against a few different fighters and had he put CW away everyone would be saying he was 100% the GOAT.

I think having the hands by the side has huge advantages and disadvantages. The advantages are that he has his hands low to put him in a better position to avoid the takedown and it also encourages the fighter to engage in a standup fight, which is what AS wants. He also has unbelievable head movement. Up until the finish, his style was working and AS was taking control of the fight. The biggest disadvantage is the huge risk of exposing yourself to getting clipped or tagged cleanly. Plus I think this is the first time we've seen AS fight someone with a slightly longer reach than him.

I don't think the fight was fixed, maybe his mind wasn't in it like it should have been. I do think he was trying to win though but this time he came up short against someone that trained really well against AS's style. I hope this isn't the last time we see AS and I hope he comes back to dominate.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #2040
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep

BMW86 your a true AS fan, keep your head up!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #2041
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I don't think the fight was fixed, maybe his mind wasn't in it like it should have been. I do think he was trying to win though but this time he came up short against someone that trained really well against AS's style. I hope this isn't the last time we see AS and I hope he comes back to dominate.
Agreed, I too think it was a legit lose but at the same token, I truly think it was due to him not being in the proper mindset. I read that a lot of fighters thought he had Weidman beat if he just struck him with proper shots and stopped hitting his fists together to bait him.

Alas, what's done is done. Now to see what happens next.

And if anyone whats to know, I'm a AS fan as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #2042
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
BMW86 your a true AS fan, keep your head up!
Yes, have to admit he's the reason I started watching MMA. Big fan of his fighting style, hope he comes back stronger.

Quote:
Agreed, I too think it was a legit lose but at the same token, I truly think it was due to him not being in the proper mindset. I read that a lot of fighters thought he had Weidman beat if he just struck him with proper shots and stopped hitting his fists together to bait him.

Alas, what's done is done. Now to see what happens next.

And if anyone whats to know, I'm a AS fan as well.
You may be right, there is a lot of stuff that happens that we don't see. It would have been hard not to look past this fight either, imho this could easily have been his last competitive matchup at 185.

I just watched the fight again. I think AS knew what he was doing, he just moved to the right instead of the left and got caught at the same time. I think Weidman was waiting for him to let his guard down to make a move.

Hope he bounces back gets the belt again.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #2043
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, have to admit he's the reason I started watching MMA. Big fan of his fighting style, hope he comes back stronger.

You may be right, there is a lot of stuff that happens that we don't see. It would have been hard not to look past this fight either, imho this could easily have been his last competitive matchup at 185.

I just watched the fight again. I think AS knew what he was doing, he just moved to the right instead of the left and got caught at the same time. I think Weidman was waiting for him to let his guard down to make a move.

Hope he bounces back gets the belt again.

I'm a fan aswell, and i hope he comes back strong.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #2044
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
its been a couple of days and im still at a loss for words

props to Weidman, Anderson didnt show him the respect a fighter of his caliber deserves and paid for it dearly, which really sucks cause he seemed to have the fight under control up until that point

I hope the rematch does happen and soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #2045
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
I'm a fan aswell, and i hope he comes back strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
its been a couple of days and im still at a loss for words

props to Weidman, Anderson didnt show him the respect a fighter of his caliber deserves and paid for it dearly, which really sucks cause he seemed to have the fight under control up until that point

I hope the rematch does happen and soon!
I feel the same way mate. Full credit to CW, he earned the win and I think he will go on to be one of the best MW's. I agree with you, he should have shown a bit more respect, I think he's become too confident when he keeps the fight on the feet.

Renzo Gracie said he could see CW tiring after he got up from the failed sub attempt in 1st round and I thought the same thing, although I thought AS was tiring as well. I think CW put everything into that 1st round and had him in the best position and AS stuffed the takedowns in 2nd round. AS was really in a perfect position to finish if he was a bit more cautious.

I read a comment on one of the UG forums of someone saying something along the lines of "I'm going to go out there and do whatever I want, if it's good enough that's great, if it's not then it's too bad". That's certainly how it came across to me, not only in the fight but leading up to the fight too.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #2046
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:

I feel the same way mate. Full credit to CW, he earned the win and I think he will go on to be one of the best MW's. I agree with you, he should have shown a bit more respect, I think he's become too confident when he keeps the fight on the feet.

Renzo Gracie said he could see CW tiring after he got up from the failed sub attempt in 1st round and I thought the same thing, although I thought AS was tiring as well. I think CW put everything into that 1st round and had him in the best position and AS stuffed the takedowns in 2nd round. AS was really in a perfect position to finish if he was a bit more cautious.

I read a comment on one of the UG forums of someone saying something along the lines of "I'm going to go out there and do whatever I want, if it's good enough that's great, if it's not then it's too bad". That's certainly how it came across to me, not only in the fight but leading up to the fight too.
yea, Ben Folkes & Chad Dundass said something similar in the Co-main event podcast, that was his gameplan and it simply didnt work, maybe he took it too far

the rematch is going to be huge if it happens, either end of year show or super bowl
Appreciate 0