E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > White marks on door panels

08-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
White marks on door panels

They look like they could be from chalk or something. They are not, but best way I can describe them right now. Simple Green didn't work, warm water didn't work & 303 protectant helped some, but once that wears off, they will show through again.

Anyone else have these marks on any cars & how did you get rid of them?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
They look like they could be from chalk or something. They are not, but best way I can describe them right now. Simple Green didn't work, warm water didn't work & 303 protectant helped some, but once that wears off, they will show through again.

Anyone else have these marks on any cars & how did you get rid of them?
A picture of it might help. Without some more info, first thought that comes to mind would be try using a clay bar. If that doesn't do it, try a light polish. Is it a scuff or a scratch?
      08-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa1 View Post
A picture of it might help. Without some more info, first thought that comes to mind would be try using a clay bar. If that doesn't do it, try a light polish. Is it a scuff or a scratch?
I think he means the interior, but pictures would definitely clarify.

If it's interior, 303 may be your best option short of dye, because it sounds like you scuffed the surface color (like all the door kick panels on my car.)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

If it's interior, 303 may be your best option short of dye, because it sounds like you scuffed the surface color (like all the door kick panels on my car.)
My bad. I happen to agree with what UncleWede said above. It very well may be a scuff. Well what I use is a pad I picked up from Walmart in the automotive section. It's a fine (yellow) scouring pad which won't scratch the interior door panels. Use that and a APC. If that doesn't work, try a soft bristle brush and lightly scrub the area and dress it with a protectant. If it's a scuff, you proably won't get it all out. But you might be able to improve the appearence and make it look better than before.
      08-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

It's interior hence door panels 303 is on there, but that isn't getting the job done 100%
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Still looking for suggestions on what to use to get the marks off.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
mstgeer
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 017 F85 Donnington Grey, Arago

If it is a mark in the hard plastic, try a heat gun, but be very careful you do not get it too hot and melt it.
This is a trick the collision repair shops use to keep from replacing the interior plastic panels that get creased and discolored in accidents.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #9
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

I did a neglected interior for a friend this weekend; spills, grime, dirt, you name it. 1Z Deep Plastic and steam cleaned it all with ease. I would test w/ steam only first but b/w her Honda and my 328 I haven't had an issue yet. I'm not a detailer so I got one of the $35 steam cleaners off Amazon, its perfect for what I needed which was spot cleaning and the occasion dashboard/console cleaning.

A melamine foam pad (magic eraser) may also be worth a shot, but be careful as it is an abrasive.
Appreciate 0