E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Help: Water Marks NOT Coming Out!

09-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #23
Dmillion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 bmw 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
Glad someone got in here with this info.

Guys; these are *not* deposits, they are etchings. Deposits leave minerals on the surface of the paint, clay, water spot removers, vinegar, etc can be used on them, but on etchings that stuff will do nothing.

Waterspot etchings are more rare, but they are a pain in the ass to remove; and they require compounding. Glad you got them out Dmillion.
Yep..I think they were etchings too. It took me literally 12 hrs to detail my car as a result. I was late and night when I finished and I was tired...I probably could have taken another few hrs...I think I needed a more agressive polish and maybe a yellow pad instead of an orange..but SSR2.5/orange was all I had
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #24
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmillion View Post
Yep..I think they were etchings too. It took me literally 12 hrs to detail my car as a result. I was late and night when I finished and I was tired...I probably could have taken another few hrs...I think I needed a more agressive polish and maybe a yellow pad instead of an orange..but SSR2.5/orange was all I had
They were definitely etchings. SSR2.5 on an orange pad would have lifted deposits in one pass.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #25
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
What are you using to get it out?
I just noticed they disappeared! I could've sworn they were there after the wash, a day later, no longer there....weird...

A friend told me to buff it out, using Meguiar's NXT 2.0, have not done this yet though.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #26
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

NXT 2.0 does not "buff", it's a sealant with fillers. It will hide imperfections, not remove them.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #27
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Rubicon

Quote:
So I'm assuming you didn't follow the 2.5 up with the SSR1/white pad afterwards? Do you have any marring/holograms? I'm going to be detailing my jet black 335i on Thursday and I'm not sure if I need to do the same steps I did on my other car. This was SSR2.5 with Orange, followed with SSR1.0 with White.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #28
Dmillion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 bmw 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
So I'm assuming you didn't follow the 2.5 up with the SSR1/white pad afterwards? Do you have any marring/holograms? I'm going to be detailing my jet black 335i on Thursday and I'm not sure if I need to do the same steps I did on my other car. This was SSR2.5 with Orange, followed with SSR1.0 with White.
Yep...i followed up with ssr1.0/white. No marring at all.
Appreciate 0