E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Having a hard time getting my Cyba tips cleaned

09-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Hellrot Sachin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335i

Having a hard time getting my Cyba tips cleaned

these are black chrome.. I've tried mothers cleaning polish and well, you see the results.. I've used plenty of elbow grease along with steel wool.. ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Black Chrome

Decorative black chrome plating always involves plating nickel before plating the chrome. Chromium is generally only 18 to 30 millionths of an inch thick. The nickel you see underneath it might be up to a thousandth of an inch thick, the nickel provides the reflectivity and most of the corrosion resistance. The chrome plating is exceptionally thin, measured in millionths of an inch rather than in thousandths. It does have a tendency to show a silver colour if it is significantly scratched,

Although black chrome picks up fingerprints and stains more easily than conventional chrome, taking care of black chrome is not that different from conventional chrome. Clean as often as necessary so that the finish does not get tarnished

• Rinse off any loose dirt / mud and then wash the black chrome using a mild cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash) and a clean, micro-fibbers towel.
• Use a cleaner (P21S Polishing Soap) to remove any surface blemishes Use a soft bristle detailing brush to gently scrub around the edges and in the recesses of the black chrome parts.
• If you are cleaning a grill or something similar, use a rag wrapped around a screwdriver to get into hard to reach areas.
• To remove more stubborn stains, try using white vinegar or baby oil and a clean, dry rag.
• Rinse the chrome off with water and dry thoroughly with a clean and dry micro-fibre towel.
• Remove any fine scratches and swirls with a good quality chrome polish (Autosol or P21SŪ Multi-Surface Finish Restorer) and then buff it off with a clean micro fibre towel.
• Finish the detailing process by applying a high-quality polymer sealant (Zoopseal) to provide lasting protection

Chrome, Nickel, Cadmium, and etc do not use synthetic wire wool as it produces micro fine scratches on the thin plating that can be permeated by moisture; causing delamination (flaking) of the finish
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Hellrot Sachin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335i

oh crap.. thanks for the insights.. I had always been advised to use steel wool in the past but I guess that's a bad idea.. so, based on the pic, will vinegar help with the staining?
Appreciate 0