E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > List of verified causes of warranty loss?

02-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
mase
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Exclamation List of verified causes of warranty loss?

Do we have a list of verified causes of warranty loss from the dealer?
Of course, these causes are a given
- downpipes
- tune still installed

Maybes
- aftermarket intake
- aftermarket exhaust

But are there any cases of people losing their warranty for
- nuts are worn on factory downpipes
- O2 sensor is not clipped or clipped incorrectly
- something minor is in the wrong place
- lots of scrapes on something that should be untouched?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
Do we have a list of verified causes of warranty loss from the dealer?
Of course, these causes are a given
- downpipes
- tune still installed

Maybes
- aftermarket intake
- aftermarket exhaust

But are there any cases of people losing their warranty for
- nuts are worn on factory downpipes
- O2 sensor is not clipped or clipped incorrectly
- something minor is in the wrong place
- lots of scrapes on something that should be untouched?
It all depends on the dealer and what the issue is. There are stories about most anything causing a dealership to refuse warranty service; including indications of prior mods.

If you mod it, and the dealer believes the mod caused the issue then the dealership should refuse warranty service. Dealers have also been known to refuse warranty service when they believe that a since removed mod caused the issue.

Search for posts by "prowess symphony" for how a dealership "voided" his warranty for an intake.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
mase
Banned
Rep

ok, but he had a physical intake that is technically a modification.

How about the non-physical items like the ones I mentioned? evidence that a nut or bolt was messed with? have we ever heard anything like that voiding a warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

cant say ive ever denied warranty for a nut or bolt having been correctly worked on..now if something is stripped or cross threaded or leaking that wouldnt be had it not been messed with before...then obviously thats not going to be warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
ok, but he had a physical intake that is technically a modification.

How about the non-physical items like the ones I mentioned? evidence that a nut or bolt was messed with? have we ever heard anything like that voiding a warranty?
Of course. If a dealer sees evidence of a prior mod then it may even be more of a red flag. Fresh scratches are even more of a problem.

This is exactly the reason that dealers may be a bit quick to deny warranty repairs because people try to hide evidence of their mods.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
mase
Banned
Rep

yes, it makes sense to me that a dealer would be suspicious... but are there any actual cases out there that we've heard of this happening?

I've searched and can't find a thread where dealer says "you have no mods on, but we believe you had them, so we're voiding your warranty."
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

There is no such list. If you mod you run the risk of the dealer voiding your warranty and then you are in an up-hill battle trying to get your car fixed. See this link, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ed+warranty%22
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:00 AM   #8
mase
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
There is no such list. If you mod you run the risk of the dealer voiding your warranty and then you are in an up-hill battle trying to get your car fixed. See this link, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ed+warranty%22
yeah I saw that one.. but he had a DCI. I guess there are no cases out there where warranty is voided on speculation or "signs", but no actual mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
yes, it makes sense to me that a dealer would be suspicious... but are there any actual cases out there that we've heard of this happening?

I've searched and can't find a thread where dealer says "you have no mods on, but we believe you had them, so we're voiding your warranty."
IIRC, the issue with Prowess Symphony was an intake and alleged mods based on loose/missing/scratched screws. The intake alone wouldn't have caused major issues (except a warranty repair refusal for that particular failure) but the totality of the alleged mods caused them to refuse a repair on his tranny.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #10
mase
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
IIRC, the issue with Prowess Symphony was an intake and alleged mods based on loose/missing/scratched screws. The intake alone wouldn't have caused major issues (except a warranty repair refusal for that particular failure) but the totality of the alleged mods caused them to refuse a repair on his tranny.
from what I could tell, he had an issue they weren't able to diagnose, and the dealer fell back on the intake as an excuse.
Appreciate 0