E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > P3 / Rix Boost gauge update (DIY version?)

View Poll Results: What change would be best?
Complete DIY version for discount price 5 10.42%
A bit more DIY for a small discount 2 4.17%
Just a big discount group buy 21 43.75%
All of the above 6 12.50%
George Clooney rocks! 14 29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

08-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

P3 / Rix Boost gauge update (DIY version?)

Hey everyone!

You may have noticed I have been kinda off the radar for a while... I want to start making a comeback

Been really busy pumping out orders for the boost gauge and working on new products for other markets etc.

I know everyone loves the gauge with its integrated look, and we get nothing but compliments on the gauge... you guys are great customers!... but I have been racking my brain on trying to keep things "current" with the changing times... all the new canbus stuff, and pricing getting lower and lower, which is one thing in particular I think we need to address right away.

I am very open with my customers, and I hope you all appreciate that!

First thing, I get a lot of complaints from people that seem to think that the gauge is overpriced... I would like to do something about that, so we have been playing with a few small changes here or there to trying and bring the price down a bit... I have switched suppliers for a few of the parts, and I do some more stuff by hand now to avoid fees... so I think we might finally be able to address that problem long term in a few months. Also, we have discontinued the RIGHT HAND DRIVE version of the gauge for now, as that has not been a big seller, its only sold about 1/100th of what the USA sales have been. I was glad to have provided that for our RHD friends, but it was really a loss for me.

$399 for a boost gauge? well... Its expensive to make a product for ONE CAR at a time, each part is 100% custom, down to the color of the LED's being custom to match the bmw interior special "orange"!... and ordering in small quantities makes it near impossible for me to get proper quantity discounts from large electronics companies... if you have ever bought electronics in quantity before, you'd realize that the difference between 100 units and 1,000 units means about a 300% price hike or more! Mainly because nobody wants to retool a factory for only a few hundred pieces

Here are a couple ideas to help with the price issue, let me know what you guys think... with the 400-500 active forum members with this gauge, hopefully you guys can weigh in as well about features that you LOVE and would not want to see go away...

I also know that a LOT (several hundred) of you guys bought the gauge on a group buy... so maybe that is the way to go to get the price down...

Option 1: Offer a "complete DIY" version that requires you to do your own wiring, tubing, etc... pretty much like you would get with an off the shelf unit and drop the price by 100 bucks.

Option 2: Drop the PNP harness and jb3 wires, just ship the gauge as a "little" more DIY and drop the price permanently by 50-75 bucks.

Option 3: Just have a group buy like usual and knock like 125 bucks off

Option 4: All of the above... group buy and DIY version!

Let me know what you guys would think is best... trying to make the best boost gauge accessible to more people!

-Rick

UPDATE:

OK, you guys win! Gotta give the people what they want!

Hurry up before I change my mind on this crazy low price! (or before they sell out!)

First come first serve... http://www.p3cars.com/group-buy/

Last edited by RiXst3r; 08-11-2010 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I personally think it's worth the asking price. It's a great gauge

If anything offer the jb3-less wire/slight-DIY version and do a group buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
BMW335iiiiiiiii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Hay if u do a group buy I'm down just pm me
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Agree with JP
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
I personally think it's worth the asking price. It's a great gauge
Agree 100%

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

I love the gauge however it wouldn't have hurt if it was a bit cheaper
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Also, free (DIY?) firmware updates would be nice. I'm still stuck on the old version which won't let you turn the display off.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
ren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

I agree that this gauge is totally worth that much. I haven't seen any aftermarket piece that looks as OEM as this one.

Group buy makes sense but if I was going to buy a new one now and you had offered a less expensive version with more DIY, I would still pick the already assembled kit.

The PNP harness saves a lot of time during install and removing the gauge is also a lot easier. I unplug the harness power cable before taking the car in for service, I know you can turn the gauge off using the menu but the PSI light still stays on.

So I say group buy so people can save some money.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

I agree that the gauge is well worth the price.

Below are A couple features I never use/ only use default setting (Not needing multiple settings):

Bargraph Boost Scale
Digital Resolution
Night Brightness
Day Brightness
Night Brightness
Piggyback Map switching

I absolutely love this gauge though..the peak recall is the biggest benefit for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
BOOSTED4DR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Just my op i thought at times it was overpriced overall good product, A big discount would be nice doin our own wiring.Similar to JB3 pinout and PNP.. Is there a clearance sale on the left over right hand drive gauges LOL........

Last edited by BOOSTED4DR; 08-09-2010 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED4DR View Post
J Is there a clearance sale on the left over right hand drive gauges LOL........
Clearance sale? Its a collectors item! Actually we don't have any more RHD boost gauges and won't be making any for a while unless something big changes. The RHD market never made any money for us.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
only1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z06, 09 e90335i

im in for the gb price.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
k3silk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 & 14 M5

Im in for a group buy and like the plug and play set up but loose the JB3 to save some bucks and set up a group buy so I can get one.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Work with Coolingmist on meth flow integration. Its worth the 400 bucks and would be even better with the meth flow integration feature for us trunk mount folks.
      08-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

I missed out the GB's before and I have been on the lookout ever since then for the gauge. I would like a reduced price gauge that ditched the map-switching. That being said, I'd be perfectly happy with another group buy. Anything else will just be icing on the cake. I'm a big DIY guy so getting an even cheaper version like that doesn't scare me one bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #16
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Will this be compatible with the Procede also or is it only good for the JB3???
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #17
C.D.335xi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Garage List
2014 Z4 35is  [0.00]
As many others have said, it is a great product and worth every penny. Everyone who has seen it in my car (even people at the local dealer) cannot believe how well it is integrated - it looks OEM.

Lowering the price by offering versions that require more DIY from the customer might get you more sales but may ultimately cost you money in the long run. Let me explain, the considerable time that I have spent on this forum has taught me that there are a small subset of people who can DIY. Then there are the vast majority who don't take the time to search, read/follow instructions, etc. and can't even install a plug and play system (whether it's your gauge or another product offering PnP) without posting up 5 "HELP ME!!!" threads.

If you go to a version that is cheaper but requires more DIY from the customer, I think you will find that the amount of additional resources (time/personnel) that must be devoted to responding to the exponential increase in support inquiries that you are likely to receive will far outweigh any incremental revenues generated by the additional sales that result from the reduced price.

The scenario outlined above presumes that you are committed to continuing to provide the same outstanding level of service that you currently provide. If you are prepared to sacrifice customer support, then such a strategy might generate more profit for you in the short run.

It's your business, you get to decide how to run it but since you asked, I'm just putting in my $.02.
      08-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #18
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.D.335xi View Post
As many others have said, it is a great product and worth every penny. Everyone who has seen it in my car (even people at the local dealer) cannot believe how well it is integrated - it looks OEM.

Lowering the price by offering versions that require more DIY from the customer might get you more sales but may ultimately cost you money in the long run. Let me explain, the considerable time that I have spent on this forum has taught me that there are a small subset of people who can DIY. Then there are the vast majority who don't take the time to search, read/follow instructions, etc. and can't even install a plug and play system (whether it's your gauge or another product offering PnP) without posting up 5 "HELP ME!!!" threads.

If you go to a version that is cheaper but requires more DIY from the customer, I think you will find that the amount of additional resources (time/personnel) that must be devoted to responding to the exponential increase in support inquiries that you are likely to receive will far outweigh any incremental revenues generated by the additional sales that result from the reduced price.

The scenario outlined above presumes that you are committed to continuing to provide the same outstanding level of service that you currently provide. If you are prepared to sacrifice customer support, then such a strategy might generate more profit for you in the short run.

It's your business, you get to decide how to run it but since you asked, I'm just putting in my $.02.
+1000

The install isn't trivial as it is, I wouldn't recommend increasing complexity and decreasing quality and/or features in order to reduce the sales price.

I was thinking of ordering another as a spare and as such, would prefer to receive an identical item as a PnP replacement.
      08-10-2010, 02:23 AM   #19
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Will this be compatible with the Procede also or is it only good for the JB3???
The Rix Boost gauge has not offered map switching capability with the Procede for quite some time and with the Procede's Map autotuning being the way it is, I don't personally see this returning as a feature.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #20
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
The Rix Boost gauge has not offered map switching capability with the Procede for quite some time and with the Procede's Map autotuning being the way it is, I don't personally see this returning as a feature.
The gauge still has the PROcede features, its just that the PROcede reserves its mapswitch input for meth now...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #21
Jeller
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90 ZSP

The qualiity of the wirning and all those small details make the kit worth it. I was very impressed when I received mine.

Do a group buy and keep selling your quality kit

Think of all the potential hassles/bs install issues you may have if you dont offer the kit complete...

Great product, keep up the good work

Jeller
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #22
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeller View Post
The qualiity of the wirning and all those small details make the kit worth it. I was very impressed when I received mine.

Do a group buy and keep selling your quality kit

Think of all the potential hassles/bs install issues you may have if you dont offer the kit complete...

Great product, keep up the good work

Jeller

True... seems like overwhelmingly people think we should just do a group buy and keep the product at its best!

I guess that's what I am going to need to do!

-Rick
Appreciate 0