E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Car hit at gostation, any experiences?

10-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
c416
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Car hit at gostation, any experiences?

So after work i found my car got hit at the Milliken Gostation yesterday afternoon. Front passenger panel and door scratched and slightly dented. I'll have to fix the door to prevent rusting asap. Luckily I did not see the accident, otherwise i'll probably be in jail right now.

Anyways, anyone else have experienced a similar situation and what is the best course of action other than finding the suspect to return the favor? Do i contact insurance? I would think the damage is approx $500-800 range? maybe more since the entire door will probably have to be painted.

i've already reported it to Gostation and some official is apparently going to followup with me. Highly doubt anything will come out of it.

Any recommendation for great bodyshops in the markham/toronto area?

thanks
Calling the police for this damage seems to be a waste of everyone's time and money, so i was going to eat the cost and get it fixed out of my own pocket.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 | 2013 e70 X5

I would file a police report ASAP, I am sure there is video footage they can get access to...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
only1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z06, 09 e90335i

My wifes car was broken into at the mount joy lot last year.
They smashed the window and tossed the interior upside down.
I waited with 4 other victims for police. They did fill out police reports for each break in. The police can request footage from go, however they did nothing and i had to fix it out of pocket as it wasnt worth going through insurance.

Sorry to hear about your situation. At least you did not have to clean up broken glass that was scattered all over a child seat....
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCX_335xi View Post
I would file a police report ASAP, I am sure there is video footage they can get access to...
Yeah, I'm sure they'll assign an entire police division to the case.
Just get it fixed and move on. The cops won't do jack shit so don't bother wasting your time.
      10-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
c416
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

i will be reporting it to the police tmr and take it from there. Im set on paying for the damages myself, i do want to pursue extra effort to see if we can ID the individual via license plate and the police can go knocking on their doors. More of an example for these MOFOS that go careless crashing into other's cars like bumper cars and just easily getting away like they don't care.

If i don't do anything, 100% nothing will be done, but if i try and go down the process, i may end up wasting my time and efforts, but atleast i will be content with myself that i've done all i can to chase down this mofo.

thanks guys.

Last edited by c416; 10-28-2011 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe

1. Report the hit to the police, you losing nothing from doing this.

2. Wait a reasonable time for the GoTrain authorities to inform you if they have anything on tape. If you don't hear from them, keep calling.

3. Most likely, you will have to pay this yourself....but don't take steps 1 and 2 for granted...you never know!!!

I have a shop in Markham that deals with my car, I can pm you the details if you like. He will give you a good price, just need to mention me
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Ghoti
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacewong View Post
i will be reporting it to the police tmr and take it from there. Im set on paying for the damages myself, i do want to pursue extra effort to see if we can ID the individual via license plate and the police can go knocking on their doors. More of an example for these MOFOS that go careless crashing into other's cars like bumper cars and just easily getting away like they don't care.

If i don't do anything, 100% nothing will be done, but if i try and go down the process, i may end up wasting my time and efforts, but atleast i will be content with myself that i've done all i can to chase down this mofo.

thanks guys.
+1

Go for it. Then you'll never have the feeling of "What if I had..." And if they catch the idiot, all the better!
      10-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
Saturns
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42,570GT,Lp5704STS,F36,F34

Garage List
Quote:

thanks guys.
If you report it to police tmr it will possibly show up in record and that is not good for resale. Most of the times hit and run like this is let off on warning or not even looked into. A suv smacked into the rear passenger door on my wifes car. It was hit and run. They found the people and gave them a warning.
Why risk the chance of it coming up on carfax and losing resale monies if you were going to get the job done yourself.
For bodyshop try Greenlink on 23 Harlech Crt and ask for Sam. Tell him Saturn and May sent you. 1 door panel should be about 600-900 depending on what needs to be done. They are asian and cash works well.

I moved to Markham this past september and there are many people their who shouldnt have licenses. I think they just pay big wads of cash to get licenses there.
Within 1st week of parking at Unionville 2 dent marks from GO parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
c416
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturns View Post
If you report it to police tmr it will possibly show up in record and that is not good for resale. Most of the times hit and run like this is let off on warning or not even looked into. A suv smacked into the rear passenger door on my wifes car. It was hit and run. They found the people and gave them a warning.
Why risk the chance of it coming up on carfax and losing resale monies if you were going to get the job done yourself.
For bodyshop try Greenlink on 23 Harlech Crt and ask for Sam. Tell him Saturn and May sent you. 1 door panel should be about 600-900 depending on what needs to be done. They are asian and cash works well.

I moved to Markham this past september and there are many people their who shouldnt have licenses. I think they just pay big wads of cash to get licenses there.
Within 1st week of parking at Unionville 2 dent marks from GO parking lot.
this make sense. i've reported this to the gotransit and will consider not reporting to the police if all they will do is slap a warning on the mofo.

How about insurance? will they cover this without a jack up in premium due to a hit and run?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
Saturns
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Although this is a hit and run and it isnt your fault...technically your insurance premium shouldnt go up. I stress "shouldn't".
My take on this is if it isnt your fault and the broker you work with thinks it shouldnt go up and the bill is way over $1000 maybe going through insurance is cost effective.
I do not know if the insurance will update you driving record to show an accident..that I am not sure.

If the cost is less than $1000 so if amortize that is about $80/mnth only for a year.

For instance I did a claim one year for a small repair and also had a minor speeding ticket and monthly went up by $34/mth ... which will mostlike stay for 3 years until that ticket falls off.
So I would have paid $1224 in the end of 3 years.
If I paid $800 for the damage and swallowedthe cost ... they wouldn't have even checked my driving record file and not not have raised my premiums.

This all depends on your driving record. How lenient you insurance company is in regards to hit and run. And your age and number of driving years.
Based on many feedback from freinds who own Ferraris, Maseraitis, Porches and Lambo keep you insurance as low as possible. Keep it in the same company for a long time. It is not cost effective for insurance co. to check records frequently as that is an overhead cost specially if they have hundreds of thousands of clients.
Fix the issues of your car out of your own pocket by bartering for a resonable price at a recomended/reputable body shop. Future services at the same shop will cost you less in the long run.

Last edited by Saturns; 11-01-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
mabman
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

go to C&R Autobody on St. Clair Ave. E and ask for Jim. They do great work at amazing prices (be sure to tell them you are paying for it and not insurance) and he'll make sure you are well taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
Z06Driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E92, MG F32 440i

you will need to report it to the police should you decide to make an insurance claim however don't expect the police to investigate....it is a very minor offence and not worth the assignment of man power.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
c416
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thanks for everyone's input. I will be pocketing the expense and not going through insurance nor contacting the police. The damange is sub 1000 and not worth the time and hassel if likely the police will not do anything to penalize the mofo.

I did try to find the suspect car lastnight at the station. I knew the car that hit me was Red, as some of the red paint remained on my car. I got stomped when i found two red cars, both in poor shape and bumper scratches everywhere. So...i've given up in taken justices in my own hands as well.

Sucks to be driving a decent car in a sea of sh&t boxes driven by chinese ppl (sarcastism if you couldn't tell on the chinese part...i'm chinese myself).

If you haven't witness the scene right after the gotrain arrives and people rushing to their cars, it's well worth your time. I've never seen so many grown man and woman RUN to their cars at full tilt, jump in, start and floor their cars out of the parking lot. I kid you not. On a daily basis, i see near accidents with pedestrians, let alone other cars.

I've decided to walk to the gotrain from now on. Phack this.

Last edited by c416; 11-02-2011 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
Saturns
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you haven't witness the scene right after the gotrain arrives and people rushing to their cars, it's well worth your time. I've never seen so many grown man and woman RUN to their cars at full tilt, jump in, start and floor their cars out of the parking lot. I kid you not. On a daily basis, i see near accidents with pedestrians, let alone other cars.

I've decided to walk to the gotrain from now on. Phack this.
I go through that everyday. Now I know why those 323i off lease are so run down. Its such a spectacle as they run to their cars...crank on the ignition andsee black smoke bellow out of their cold engines from Unionville GO. They have more running roon at Unionville than Milliken so you see more black smoke. Next time I'll video it.

My Mazda-rati Tribute SUV is parked at the GO and my nice one stays at home.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
328XI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

For once you filed an accident repair claim thru insurance, it would lower your car's resale value if you decided to sell your car in the future. It's discount even more if you trade it to a dealer.
Appreciate 0