E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > *Wastegate Ticking Noise Found*

Closed Thread

07-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #199
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK

Week after next, my dealer will have my car for 3 days, they are going to replace the waste gate actuator rods on both turbos. They already did the software "fix" which was a waste of time. They told me the rattle noise they nailed it down to the wastegate actuator on the turbo for cylinders 1,2, 3. making the noise, but they will replace both actuators on both turbos.

If the waste gate for the first 3 cylinders is not closing properly, could that be causing the turbo lag I sense on the bottom end of the torque??

I have lag below about 3k rpm.

Anybody have ideas?

Please help....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #200
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan07 View Post

If the waste gate for the first 3 cylinders is not closing properly, could that be causing the turbo lag I sense on the bottom end of the torque??
The lag you feel is due to the "software fix". It is 29.2 which lowers the wastegate duty cycle which in turn creates lag.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #201
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Week after next, my dealer will have my car for 3 days, they are going to replace the waste gate actuator rods on both turbos. They already did the software "fix" which was a waste of time. They told me the rattle noise they nailed it down to the wastegate actuator on the turbo for cylinders 1,2, 3. making the noise, but they will replace both actuators on both turbos.

I have lag below about 3k rpm.

Anybody have ideas?

Please help....
Changing the wastegate actuator arm may also not solve the problem if your wastegate valve is faulty. Most cars I know have it solved by changing just the actuator arms. However, some of you would also have heard that some dealers have also changed the turbos as changing the actuator arm would also not help as the wastegate valve is rattling and that is situated inside the turbocharger manifold. Mine was loose like a 50 year old prostitute. After they changed the new turbos which I have seen and appears to have a thicker actuator arm rod, the car is just the way I wanted it to be.

As outlined above in black, that is what I am talking about. The wastegate valve is loose there and there is rattling on this seating.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #202
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
The actuator pulls the wastegate closed.
It has nothing to do with how thick the rod is.
It's all about how strong the actuator is.
The diaphragms are failing in the older actuators, and once the newer actuators are installed, the wastegates will now be properly shut, hence no ratlling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Changing the wastegate actuator arm may also not solve the problem if your wastegate valve is faulty. Most cars I know have it solved by changing just the actuator arms. However, some of you would also have heard that some dealers have also changed the turbos as changing the actuator arm would also not help as the wastegate valve is rattling and that is situated inside the turbocharger manifold. Mine was loose like a 50 year old prostitute. After they changed the new turbos which I have seen and appears to have a thicker actuator arm rod, the car is just the way I wanted it to be.

As outlined above in black, that is what I am talking about. The wastegate valve is loose there and there is rattling on this seating.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 05:27 AM   #203
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

wow small turbo we need BAT kits
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 03:40 AM   #204
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrDlux View Post
wow small turbo we need BAT kits
bat?
big ass turbo kits?
      07-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #205
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

I had the bullshit of my air intake causing more wear on the actuator due to some pressure drop which was not present due to the after market air intake.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #206
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Yea that would be the same symptoms as others.

subscribed
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #207
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My car went into the shop wednesday 9am to get both turbo wastegate actuators replaced. The SM said their info from BMW told him it was a 2 day job, but asked to have the car 3 days because it was their first time with this procedure. I call on the 3rd day to check status, they didn't call me, and they tell me the car wont be finished and it will need to stay there the weekend and they hope to finish it monday. I am worried that they f-ed something else up and don't want to tell me.

Has anyone else here had this work done and how long did it take??
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #208
MarioKart
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black on Black

Quote:
My car went into the shop wednesday 9am to get both turbo wastegate actuators replaced. The SM said their info from BMW told him it was a 2 day job, but asked to have the car 3 days because it was their first time with this procedure. I call on the 3rd day to check status, they didn't call me, and they tell me the car wont be finished and it will need to stay there the weekend and they hope to finish it monday. I am worried that they f-ed something else up and don't want to tell me.

Has anyone else here had this work done and how long did it take??
What dealer and how many miles or you car?
      07-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #209
gram
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 328

buzzing/ticking noise

I am also having the same issue. I have Dinan and Dinan is great with after sales support. I went to the dealer today and they have a software fix for this issue. I talked to the shop foreman at my dealership and he said BMW knows about this issue and that there is a software fix for it now (keeps the wastegate open during idle or something like this) The fix is to flash it back to BMW software (version 30) and to reinstall the Dinan flash. If that doesn't work they then replace the actuator rods that everyone has been talking about.

Dinan and the dealership's relationship is great and they really went out of their way to solve the issue for me. I wish the best of luck to the rest of you that have the diesel sounding car that I do right now.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 01:35 AM   #210
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gram View Post
I am also having the same issue. I have Dinan and Dinan is great with after sales support. I went to the dealer today and they have a software fix for this issue. I talked to the shop foreman at my dealership and he said BMW knows about this issue and that there is a software fix for it now (keeps the wastegate open during idle or something like this) The fix is to flash it back to BMW software (version 30) and to reinstall the Dinan flash. If that doesn't work they then replace the actuator rods that everyone has been talking about.

Dinan and the dealership's relationship is great and they really went out of their way to solve the issue for me. I wish the best of luck to the rest of you that have the diesel sounding car that I do right now.
They already tried the software "fix". It fixed nothing, I know of nobody that it worked for, this is a mechanical problem/noise. If you have the same wastegate rattle, you will need parts replaced, period.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #211
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioKart View Post
What dealer and how many miles or you car?
I have 20k miles on my car, rattle started about 4k miles ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #212
gram
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 328

Quote:
They already tried the software "fix". It fixed nothing, I know of nobody that it worked for, this is a mechanical problem/noise. If you have the same wastegate rattle, you will need parts replaced, period.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I guess they have to do the software fix first as lame as that sounds and then I will dip in to new parts I guess I just can't believe how many issues these cars have at their price point.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 08:18 AM   #213
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It's done! One week in the shop and finally have a rattle free car. So far, so good. There is no rattle and the turbo lag I sensed before seems a bit less. I was angry at how long it took, but after speaking with the very experienced tech, I was less upset. He told me how much crap he had to remove from the engine compartment to access the turbos, including the damn radiator. He was very careful and said he adjusted the newly designed wastegate actuators to the T. Yes, he said the new actuators are a different design than the old ones.

Did I mention my car is rattle free?

By the way, they told me at my dealership, that the Dinan flash will void the warranty, and that the relationship between the Dinan company and BMW is not the same as years past. I was thinking about Dinan as opposed to Procede because of the warranty advantage. Doesn't Dinan cover whatever BMW wont when it comes to engine failure??
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #214
kyee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i sedan

I had the same clicking sound on my car. About 25k miles. They tried the "software fix", which of course did nothing. After 2 days the said they'd need to change out the turbos. There goes another 2 days. Of course I have a 2 week vacation to Hawaii starting on the day they finally have the car ready for me. I had to leave it at the dealer's, and just picked it up on Saturday. runs like a champ, and that damn clicking noise is finally gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #215
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
can wastegate warranty service legitimately be denied due to aftermarket catback?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #216
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

i stumbled across this thread and was reading about all of it.

i went to my car today, it was cold. i looked at my actuator and grabbed the rod and moved it left to right, it does move but very LITTLE as some have described.

i dont have any noise what so ever!

i also grabbed the end of the actuator rod where it connects to the wastegate arm?
anyways that seem to move in and out aswell. but like hairline

so it has nothing to do with these parts and i always was reading these parts are actually suppose to have a bit of slack on them?

so the vacuum actuators are the failing components here? they are not closing the Wastegate all the way and it is creating a flutter sound while the wastegate flaps aganist the seat?

do the new Actuators look any different?

just gathering some knowledge if this ever happens to me one day and trying to share some info.
im going to the dealer tomrrow for my friend, there is a 335i in there, gonna look at the actuator and try to move it around see if it looks any different then mine.

Last edited by 5soko; 09-28-2008 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 01:01 AM   #217
JOe335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R32-08STI-e92335i

Yes the actuator arm should move a bit!

the Wastegate or the wastegate arm which connects to the actuator arm arent the failed parts. the failed part is the ACTUAL vacumm casing or actuator. the arm coming out of the actuator is perfect aswell. there should be some slack on it that u can move left to right. this isnt where the noise is coming from.

The problem is the actuators are failing, not moving the actuator ARM in and out enough. so when the actuator goes to push the arm or bring it in to open/close the waste gate, it doesnt fully close the wastegate. is stays open and the wastegate then flutters when off boost, since when on boost it closes it via force.

long story short, the actuator is at fault. nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #218
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

Hi guys,
I read the thread and would like to know if anyone could please post a picture of the area in question with an arrow pointing to the actuator. I cant really find a picture that says "this is the actuator". I have seen many photos here but the thing is, I cant tell if am looking at an actuator or wastegate or wastegate rod..

Sorry, I really suck big time when it comes to anything mechanical. Please help me out. Many thanx!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #219
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

The Actuator is the round silver thing with with the 3 bolts and nuts sticking out of it. the Actuator arm is the thing sticking out of the actuaotr itself that connects to something at the end.

does this makes since.

take a look at this and re-read what i wrote while looking at this.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=22
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #220
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko335i View Post
The Actuator is the round silver thing with with the 3 bolts and nuts sticking out of it. the Actuator arm is the thing sticking out of the actuaotr itself that connects to something at the end.

does this makes since.

take a look at this and re-read what i wrote while looking at this.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=22
Understand now, Thank you!
Wow, I thought this actuator was a small piece, but it's a big component of the turbos. I was one of the unlucky bastards having V29.2 software. Now I have V31 and the power is back below 3000rpm..... but im starting to hear a strange metallic noise comming from my engine that was'nt there before..
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread