E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Powered seat retrofit (WIP)

04-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #155
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfin View Post
Excellent Thread I hope it's still active and someone can lend a few pointers during this build.

I have an e92 with standard cloths seats and swapping them out for the
M-Sport seats with Memory.
The most relevant question is that what specs do you have on cloth seats?
Any electrical components on those cloth seats?
Do you have power wires in Pin 4, 7 and 9 on the car side current harness (passenger side)?
      04-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #156
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Quote:
Excellent Thread I hope it's still active and someone can lend a few pointers during this build.

I have an e92 with standard cloths seats and swapping them out for the
M-Sport seats with Memory.
The most relevant question is that what specs do you have on cloth seats?
Any electrical components on those cloth seats?
Do you have power wires in Pin 4, 7 and 9 on the car side current harness (passenger side)?
Exact.

If you already have the heat seats, you have to jump the power on the other pins.
If you don't have any electrical component, you have to bring the power from the junction box to the seat connectors / pins.

The only way your new seats could move is if you had electrical seats before.

Concerning the airbag light, you need a cable with INPA to remove the error. If you read the thread, you will see that I had the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #157
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Found answer to my own questions;

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Yes, that is present on my driver seat and I will be connecting it. It needs to be connected only on the driver seat. (SEAT MODULE)
My question is that on passenger side there is blue/white wire is position 1, and that needs to run to junction box. Is that correct?
It should be connected to pin 38 on JBE (junction box) SW47 plug (X14270).

Quote:
As on passenger side, I have SEAT HEATING MODULE.
What about wire in position 5 which is green / red? According to earlier posting (#51) it is ignition plus and it should connect to terminal 15.
My question is what is terminal 15?
That is in the fuse box and should be connected to Fuse 29 slot.

Quote:
Great. I was getting worried and thought these seats were not compatible with my car. Does anybody know what is it?
Active head restraint. AFAIK, in case of accident the head restraint go to its max upper level and get tilted. This plug is used to deflate / or bring it down. Not 100% sure about it.
For the white connector, it could be that. I know that newest car need this feature but we don't care on the old ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #158
sfin
Rep
Drives: e92 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
Exact.

If you already have the heat seats, you have to jump the power on the other pins.
If you don't have any electrical component, you have to bring the power from the junction box to the seat connectors / pins.

The only way your new seats could move is if you had electrical seats before.

Concerning the airbag light, you need a cable with INPA to remove the error. If you read the thread, you will see that I had the same issue.
My current seats have electrics to tilt and up/down, the M-Sport seats do not have heat as far as i can tell from the pins as pin 9 is missing, please find attached some diagrams a drew up as a comparison between M-sport and standard seat (Passengers side). Marked in red are the pins

As you can see pin- 2,3,7,8 are on the M-Sport seats and not my standard setup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #159
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My current seats have electrics to tilt and up/down, the M-Sport seats do not have heat as far as i can tell from the pins as pin 9 is missing, please find attached some diagrams a drew up as a comparison between M-sport and standard seat (Passengers side). Marked in red are the pins
Do you have heating module under the passenger seat? Small black box?

Quote:
As you can see pin- 2,3,7,8 are on the M-Sport seats and not my standard setup.
IMHO, they are
2- K can H (if the colour is green orange)
3- K can L (if the colour is green)
7- steady plus for lumbar & side bolster (if the colour is red/black)
8- Earth / Ground wire (if the colour is brown)

HTH.
      04-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #160
sfin
Rep

Quote:

IMHO, they are

HTH.
Yup that's what i got as well,first things first im going to grab a feed to wire 7) from wire 4) and ground for 8) from 13)

I don't see why the seats should not function if K_CAN wires are missing from the passengers seat i expect at least some functionality fingers crossed.

makkan00 I think you may be right the seats perhaps have heat, not near them now to take a picture but the black box underneath looks similar to the attached picture, strange as pins for heating module are missing according to the wiring diagrams, spending the weekend at these so hope I gather enough information
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #161
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfin
Quote:

IMHO, they are

HTH.
Yup that's what i got as well,first things first im going to grab a feed to wire 7) from wire 4) and ground for 8) from 13)

I don't see why the seats should not function if K_CAN wires are missing from the passengers seat i expect at least some functionality fingers crossed.

makkan00 I think you may be right the seats perhaps have heat, not near them now to take a picture but the black box underneath looks similar to the attached picture, strange as pins for heating module are missing according to the wiring diagrams, spending the weekend at these so hope I gather enough information
What specs are your car?
Euro , american or great Britain?
Thats is seat module and controls hearing as well.
Thats usually on driver seat.
Seems like your seats are from LHD and your car is RHD.
      04-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #162
sfin
Rep

Quote:
What specs are your car?
Euro , american or great Britain?
Thats is seat module and controls hearing as well.
Thats usually on driver seat.
Seems like your seats are from LHD and your car is RHD.
Nope that picture i grabbed was from the Net as I remember thats the box thats present under both seats, the seats are setup for a RHS drive as the memory setting are on the drivers side only, the heating unit is a smaller black box I think? from what i can find on my searches, I'm living in Ireland by the way. Hopefully picking up the wiring gear tonight
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #163
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nope that picture i grabbed was from the Net as I remember thats the box thats present under both seats, the seats are setup for a RHS drive as the memory setting are on the drivers side only, the heating unit is a smaller black box I think? from what i can find on my searches, I'm living in Ireland by the way. Hopefully picking up the wiring gear tonight
Is it LHD in Ireland?
      04-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #164
sfin
Rep

Quote:
Is it LHD in Ireland?
RHD makkan00, attached are photos of both seats, what i can make out is the black boxes are the control units. Memory switches are only on the drivers side obviously. what has me still a bit confused is why K_CAN pins are present on the passengers side, still a noob here but getting more knowledge by the day.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #165
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Typical on bmw:
Driver seat: seat module: big black box and it controls heating as well through kcan system.
Passenger seat: heating module and connected to bmw modules through wiring.

In your case: both of those are seat modules (don't know why) and hence passenger side requires kcan wires for the heating to operate.
HTH.
      04-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #166
sfin
Rep

Quote:
Typical on bmw:
Driver seat: seat module: big black box and it controls heating as well through kcan system.
Passenger seat: heating module and connected to bmw modules through wiring.

In your case: both of those are seat modules (don't know why) and hence passenger side requires kcan wires for the heating to operate.
HTH.
Read the thread again , Sh$% this has me worried, Do some passenger seats have memory??, this makes no sense to me but why else would they have CAN pins , I'm going to go at it on Saturday and see how I get on, because the control units are present do you think both seats have heating? I didnt get this from my pin layputs, picked up cable today, getting some mini connectors tomorrow and going to search for the CAN cables in the subwoofer later.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #167
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfin

Read the thread again , Sh$% this has me worried, Do some passenger seats have memory??, this makes no sense to me but why else would they have CAN pins , I'm going to go at it on Saturday and see how I get on, because the control units are present do you think both seats have heating? I didnt get this from my pin layputs, picked up cable today, getting some mini connectors tomorrow and going to search for the CAN cables in the subwoofer later.

Try to understand how your seat are built with the wiring diagrams in WDS. You can found the database on internet (web or download).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #168
sfin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
Try to understand how your seat are built with the wiring diagrams in WDS. You can found the database on internet (web or download).

Will do mate I've been doing allot of reading, may have a bit of backup to do these, I'll let you know the result and build.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #169
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Does anybody has a pic of the female clip which goes into fuse box to hold the fuse?
      04-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #170
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks to all especially OP and other who have contributed positively to this thread.
I have retrofitted Sports leather heated seats with memory and finally they are working. I moved from simple cloth seats to fully electric so had to lay all the wiring from zero.
Great thread.

B/w has anybody noticed that passenger seats takes a while to heat compared to driver seat.

P.S: I have seat module on driver side and heating module on the passenger side.

Last edited by makkan00; 04-27-2013 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #171
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks to all especially OP and other who have contributed positively to this thread.
I have retrofitted Sports leather heated seats with memory and finally they are working. I moved from simple cloth seats to fully electric so had to lay all the wiring from zero.
Great thread.

B/w has anybody noticed that passenger seats takes a while to heat compared to driver seat.

P.S: I have seat module on driver side and heating module on the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #172
Kamz2070
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport Alpine White

Hi
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #173
Kamz2070
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport Alpine White

Bmw e92 after installing m3 interior in my coupe the side bolsters are not working

Hi i recently fitted e92 m3 interior in my 325 coupe e92, all front and back up and down electric positioning and memory seats are working but the side bolsters and lumbar is not working, any idea on how i can get this feature working?? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #174
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamz2070 View Post
Hi i recently fitted e92 m3 interior in my 325 coupe e92, all front and back up and down electric positioning and memory seats are working but the side bolsters and lumbar is not working, any idea on how i can get this feature working?? Thanks
Check first if you really have switches on your seats?
If yes, then you need to add new wirings for those options.
Or clone them from the existing wirings.
      06-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #175
///Lyubm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

So can anyone post more detailed information on where exactly and how to get K_Can feeds for newbies like me? would appreciate more detailed info then saying radio or idrive , remove radio and look for what?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #176
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Lyubm View Post
So can anyone post more detailed information on where exactly and how to get K_Can feeds for newbies like me? would appreciate more detailed info then saying radio or idrive , remove radio and look for what?
do you have iDrive?