E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E91 doors won't unlock!

12-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Tipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320d SE auto

E91 doors won't unlock!

Hi, got a problem with my 320D today.

I can't unlock the doors with the remote but I can unlock just the tailgate and then open it. I can then lock it again with the remote.

I can get in the driver's door with the key which manually lifts the lock button on the door. All other doors remain locked.

I can then start the engine and I presume I can drive it but haven't tried that yet - don't want to get stranded somewhere!

After stopping the engine I can lock the drivers door with either the dash button or the remote fob.

All other doors remain double-locked and I can't even manually unlock them with the interior door handle. But I can manually open the driver's door with the inside handle once re-locked.

I've tried both of my fobs and both do the same, ie lights flash as if unlocked - only the tailgate is - but door locks remain defiantly down.

The car was used yesterday evening but now it's playing hard to get. Is this simply the need for a new fob battery or has a fuse blown somewhere...where?

Strange both remotes act the same. It's as if it's double-locked and won't undouble-lock.

What is going on?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

It'll be the central locking fuse which is located inside the glove compartment. Just google E90 central locking fuse to find out what fuse numbers, I believe BMW uprated one of the fuses in later models to stop this happening. I've had this happen once before and it's a pain in the arse.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
kenno78
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Seems really strange that you can't even open the doors from inside?!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenno78 View Post
Seems really strange that you can't even open the doors from inside?!
That's because on the deadlocks.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
kenno78
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
That's because on the deadlocks.
Everyday's a school day.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

you can unlock any door from inside the car if you try to open it twice. (safety feature)
      12-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
Tipper
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
you can unlock any door from inside the car if you try to open it twice. (safety feature)
Actually no you can't! Don't you think I tried that? It does usually but now all passenger doors won't unlock at all.

Only the driver's door is responding to either the manual key to unlock, the dash button to lock and fob to lock only. Everything else is dead as a dodo and locked solid so can't open the other three doors. The tailgate is OK though.

I have got to the fuses through the glove box but not being able to get the passenger door open makes it a real a contortionist's act. I found one 15A locking fuse blown but no spare that size is provided and I don't have any as they are very small. I tried swapping two fuses over but still nothing working.

Is it easy to remove the glovebox complete so it's easier to work on the fuses?

I'm going to have to book the car in as soon as I can to get it sorted as my wife isn't impressed with climbing over the centre consul to get in and out!

I'll have to dig my MG out of the garage whilst they are sorting it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

I'm fairly that when this happened to me it was fuse 57 that was blown, there are others associated with the Central locking. You could try changing for a 20 amp fuse as BMW recommended this in a technical bulletin, definitely don't go for a higher rating than that though. If the fuse has blown straight away then you probably have a defective door actuator.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
Tipper
Private First Class
Rep

Right, fixed it this morning.

I replaced and upgraded both locking fuses, 57 and 58 from 15A to 20A. Then I disconnected the battery to reset the locking module and all is now sweetness and light! It works as it did on Sunday evening.

(My wife has since admitted to unlocking/locking using the dash button several times in a row having got confused as to whether it was or was not locked! This obviously blew fuse 57.)

After posting on here yesterday I did a little more googling and found a US site that suggested disconnecting the battery to reset the system after replacing the fuses and it worked.

The upgrade of the fuses from 15A to 20A is a BMW recommended service 'fix' after many early E90/91's central locking failures. Why BMW didn't change these fuses during a normal service to prevent the problem happening on later cars and save their reputation is beyond me! Still that's big headed BMW for you.

Anyway all working now.
Appreciate 0