E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > wastegate ??

07-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
slow4.7
Private
Rep
Drives: blue 335i

wastegate ??

I am confused, I recently installed a synapse bov and charge pipe and it sounds awsome.......I been reading on wastegates but can't quite understand wwhat they are for, if I have bov do I still need an aftermarket wastegate?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Gravy
Look away, look away, look awa....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan m/t bone stock

wastegates let the exhaust go "around" the turbos. Say you are at an rpm that doesnt require much exhaust flow to get the desired psi so your wastegates let some of the exh pass around the turbo. Idk about al turbos but our wastegates are built in so i beleive you would have an extremely hard time replacing.
Wastegates also open for a split second when the throttle closes so you wont have a boost spicke on the throttle body side of the turbos but it cant close quickly enough so there is still a spike. The cars are originaly equiped with diverter valves that essentialy do the same as a bov. The bov/dv's are held closed by a spring(essentialy) and when that spike hits the throttlebody side the boost spike overcomes the spring and the bov vents that air into the atmosphere (a dv vents it back into the intake side of the turbos respectively). Im not sure if there are any benefits of a bov instead of a dv viceversa but as far as most are concerned its just sound preference.

I dont realy know why i rambled on so long and some of this info may not be correct so excuse my ignorance. Look online and see how turbos work. Garrett and Greddy have some nice write-ups.

ROLL TIDE!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

lol
Appreciate 0