E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > G35 to 330i - new owner

08-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

G35 to 330i - new owner

New owner of a Deep Green/Terra steptronic/i-drive 330i checking in for the first time. My G35 coupe lease was over and I spent some enjoyable free time over the winter carefully selecting my next car. The parameters were it had to be a sedan (coupes are great but too claustrophobic for rear passengers I carry these days) and the lease needed to be under $600. Looked at the A6 3.2 (great car, kind of big, lease rates are terrible – better to buy this car), M35 (not crazy about the styling, also a big car, great motor from my G35, fair leases), 530i (that trunk and headlights still haven’t grown on me, pricy), and the I350 (slightly smaller than the 330, best motor, not sure I’m ready for a “Lexus”). In hindsight, I should probably have gone for the 530i for the extra space despite the styling. The 2007 G35 sedan would have been a very strong contender if it was available. Anyway, the 330i (as you guys already know) is a great car but, now that I’ve put some mileage on it, has a SERIOUS FLAW.

I know this topic has been discussed before, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to stop smoothly in this car. The stump pulling first gear jerks the car as it engages while slowing, and apparently this “soft stop” feature is modulating the brakes just before a stop conspiring to make the car buck to a stop. Since I live in the land of stop and go traffic (NJ), and I pride myself on smooth driving, this is a VERY annoying characteristic. Using manual mode and holding 2nd gear improves this and even more so by shifting to neutral (so manual drivers probably aren’t too focused on this problem).
And while I’m ranting, I’ll mention the ridiculously hard seats, the rattling rear seats, that first gear which forces the engine to rev high to go ANYWHERE so it seems to accelerate slower in first than the other gears unless you’re on it, and the pathetically slow i-Drive with no “Back” button.

But as long as I keep rolling though, it’s all good!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

welcome,

some Cars were plagued
very early on with the soft stop issue but as i understand it, software upades should have fixed it.

some have also complained about the rattling and a fix was implemented.

my idrive is instant, responsive and very easy to navigate iany direction.

have your dealer check out your issues.

enjoy your car.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

enjouy your car and congrtualtions - sorry I cannot help with feedback, since my rear seats are thankfully rattle free, drive manual and no idrive, but I think you should pop by your dealer to have those issues (especially the rattle) checked out.

It will be interesting to see how the new G37 (that is how I think it will be called) will stack up: 300 hp, and if they improved the build and interior quality, should be a strong contender.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xG35c
New owner of a Deep Green/Terra steptronic/i-drive 330i checking in for the first time.
Sounds like a great (and fairly rare) color combo. We need pics!
      08-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

I have stated that i think the G35 2007 will be its best contender again, but nothing is beating a 330i. Regardless congrats on the new car and have fun driving!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
GS833
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZHP

Congrats but...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Enjoy the 330!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
John
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

welcome
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #9
backtofront001
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i

Quote:
New owner of a Deep Green/Terra steptronic/i-drive 330i checking in for the first time. My G35 coupe lease was over and I spent some enjoyable free time over the winter carefully selecting my next car. The parameters were it had to be a sedan (coupes are great but too claustrophobic for rear passengers I carry these days) and the lease needed to be under $600. Looked at the A6 3.2 (great car, kind of big, lease rates are terrible – better to buy this car), M35 (not crazy about the styling, also a big car, great motor from my G35, fair leases), 530i (that trunk and headlights still haven’t grown on me, pricy), and the I350 (slightly smaller than the 330, best motor, not sure I’m ready for a “Lexus”). In hindsight, I should probably have gone for the 530i for the extra space despite the styling. The 2007 G35 sedan would have been a very strong contender if it was available. Anyway, the 330i (as you guys already know) is a great car but, now that I’ve put some mileage on it, has a SERIOUS FLAW.

I know this topic has been discussed before, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to stop smoothly in this car. The stump pulling first gear jerks the car as it engages while slowing, and apparently this “soft stop” feature is modulating the brakes just before a stop conspiring to make the car buck to a stop. Since I live in the land of stop and go traffic (NJ), and I pride myself on smooth driving, this is a VERY annoying characteristic. Using manual mode and holding 2nd gear improves this and even more so by shifting to neutral (so manual drivers probably aren’t too focused on this problem).
And while I’m ranting, I’ll mention the ridiculously hard seats, the rattling rear seats, that first gear which forces the engine to rev high to go ANYWHERE so it seems to accelerate slower in first than the other gears unless you’re on it, and the pathetically slow i-Drive with no “Back” button.

Welcome and immediately help yourself to the software update. Ask your dealer for more information. It cures the problem substantially. Although when decelerating at about 1000 to 1500 RPM's there is still a sudden rev drop but after that u can bring the car to a smooth stop if u wish
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Welcome! Sorry to hear about your issues but there are positives aspects with the E90 aren't there?
      08-02-2006, 08:34 PM   #11
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies! I'll post pictures the next time I wash it, the sales guy said they had never sold that particular color combo before.
I've mentioned the brakes and i-drive issues to the dealer and they assured me that's just the way it is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
my idrive is instant, responsive and very easy to navigate iany direction.
My i-drive has locked up a few times, and gone to blank screen once. Somtimes I need to enter digits from the "keypad" feature when using my phone, the system lag is most apparent here. And no BACK button?? (I'd give up the second phone button) and no way to recall a preferred configuration? - who designed this software?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 10:10 PM   #12
danglez1234
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: civic

thats what you get for getting automatic, and idrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #13
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglez1234
thats what you get for getting automatic, and idrive.
I have an automatic with iDrive (Sept 05 Build) and have none of the issues you mention. The auto trans is awesome, by the way, and so is iDrive!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #14
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
g35 is a fun car... i wuda kept it

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #15
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Anyway, the 330i (as you guys already know) is a great car but, now that I’ve put some mileage on it, has a SERIOUS FLAW.

Brakes:
Everyone complains about the grabby brakes. Its good on the highway at higher speeds, but yes, it takes some time to get used to. You gotta learn. This isn't a nissan.

Hard seats:
Give it some time. It'll soften up a little. Whats wrong with hard seats anyway? If you are looking for a sofa-comfortable seats, go grab a kia. Why are you driving a BMW?

Transmission:
You got a steptronic and complain about gear shifts? Learn how to drive a manual and get 6MT.

Slow I-drive:
You thought you had a pentium 5 computer with 3 gigs of ram in there? Its a friggin' I-drive that every review tells you to avoid. If you weren't ready to take that risk, you just made a huge mistake. Deal with it, or trade your car in.

Your complaints will get a grade of F-.
Please re-write your report and PM me. I might give you a passing grade next semester.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 11:02 PM   #16
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

The Germans want you to be in touch with the road, the Japanese don't want you to know you're on the road...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 11:18 PM   #17
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

welcome.

yeah, get ready for the ungodly amounts of brake dust that gets on the wheels as well. As with everything else though, it come with the gig so to speak. As for the seats, I don't think I've ever sat in a German car whose seats weren't at least 'firm'.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #18
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
Brakes:
Everyone complains about the grabby brakes. Its good on the highway at higher speeds, but yes, it takes some time to get used to. You gotta learn. This isn't a nissan.
My only complaint about the brakes is the inability to come to a smooth, complete stop. Since shifting to neutral cures the problem, I'll put the blame on the Step downshifting. The G35 stops smoothly.
Quote:
Hard seats:
Give it some time. It'll soften up a little. Whats wrong with hard seats anyway? If you are looking for a sofa-comfortable seats, go grab a kia. Why are you driving a BMW?
Soft seats that you actually sink into can be both more comfortable AND more supportive at the same time. The G35 has the best seats in the business (I think they relocated those crazy seat controls from the bolster in the new ones). Don't believe me, sit in a Porsche - comfy soft seats!
Quote:
Transmission:
You got a steptronic and complain about gear shifts? Learn how to drive a manual and get 6MT.
I can drive a manual - wouldn't want to every day though! Plenty of complaints about the manual on this forum also. I will risk some flames and say two things: 1) MOST people who have a manual don't shift properly and couldn't drive it smoothly if their lives depended on it. 2) If manuals are so great, why are the manufacturer's working feverishly to perfect the dual clutch transmissions which will REPLACE them!
Quote:
Slow I-drive:
You thought you had a pentium 5 computer with 3 gigs of ram in there? Its a friggin' I-drive that every review tells you to avoid. If you weren't ready to take that risk, you just made a huge mistake. Deal with it, or trade your car in.
I-drive has a proprietary operating system designed to specifically perform a few simple functions. I can forgive an overburdened PC slowing down while running multiple programs (and probably accessing the web) at the same time. It is UNFORGIVABLE that the phone keypad lags when trying to enter a digit, as well as several basic design flaws. I changed my expectations to accommodate the machine, so no plans to trade the car in, but it shouldn't be this way!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #19
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Totally understand. Once again, get used it.

I came from a japanese car also. Quite different.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #20
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
mt g35 has brembos i believe

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #21
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
My only complaint about the brakes is the inability to come to a smooth, complete stop. Since shifting to neutral cures the problem, I'll put the blame on the Step downshifting. The G35 stops smoothly.
My 330i with Step stops very, very smoothly. It didn't for the first day or so, however, as it was designed to do, it "learned" my driving style in two or three days.

Quote:
Soft seats that you actually sink into can be both more comfortable AND more supportive at the same time. The G35 has the best seats in the business (I think they relocated those crazy seat controls from the bolster in the new ones). Don't believe me, sit in a Porsche - comfy soft seats!
G35 seats the "best in the business"? That's not a very objective statement. Oh well, opinions aren't really objective anyway. I have the sport seats, and want for nothing. What more could you ask for? The seats are awesome.

Quote:
I can drive a manual - wouldn't want to every day though! Plenty of complaints about the manual on this forum also. I will risk some flames and say two things: 1) MOST people who have a manual don't shift properly and couldn't drive it smoothly if their lives depended on it. 2) If manuals are so great, why are the manufacturer's working feverishly to perfect the dual clutch transmissions which will REPLACE them!
Automatics are so refined now days you don't really need a manual. And I wouldn't want one for my daily driver either. It would piss off the youth of this world if sticks were not available because most young men don't feel manly driving an automatic. It's the "real men drive sticks" syndrome. Additionally, they are spec'd as a less expensive option.

Quote:
I-drive has a proprietary operating system designed to specifically perform a few simple functions. I can forgive an overburdened PC slowing down while running multiple programs (and probably accessing the web) at the same time. It is UNFORGIVABLE that the phone keypad lags when trying to enter a digit, as well as several basic design flaws. I changed my expectations to accommodate the machine, so no plans to trade the car in, but it shouldn't be this way!
I agree completely. However, I have learned to use it the way it is.

Cost aside, I'd honestly rather have one E90 than two G35s.

When you're driving a BMW, you are at the top of the food chain.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #22
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
It is UNFORGIVABLE that the phone keypad lags when trying to enter a digit, as well as several basic design flaws.
I'm no iDrive apologist, but for entering phone numbers, I find it MUCH easier to hit the voice recognition button: "Dial number" ("Please say the number") "703-555-1212" ("703-555-1212 and next?") "Dial."

Granted, I have only owned the car for a little over a week, but I use this all the time. I've never had to correct a digit in a phone number, although I understand you can do that by voice, too. I just say the number all at once and in a normal tone of voice and at a normal pace, like I'm talking to a person. It gets it right every time. Trying to enter a phone number with the iDrive controller is an exercise in frustration.