E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Removing Lettering on plastic radar display 9500ci

08-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
Question Removing Lettering on plastic radar display 9500ci

question for the detail experts...

what is a good product to use to remove the write lettering on the 9500ci display unit without damaging its finish or lens?

I asked because i used goof off to remove the "passport radar" lettering from my former Qi45 unit and totally ruined the plastic display.

08-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
jiaan13
uʍop ǝpısdn
Rep
Drives: '11 335d, SG/Saddle, ZSP, ZPP

Very, very carefully with a brand new razorblade. Or, you could wetsand it with very fine grit sandpaper, and use a buffer/polish to take the marks out.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

If you are referring to it being on the plastic screen protecting the gauges as seen here (http://shorecellular.net/gallery/pho...ellular-1.html), here is what I'd suggest. A little bit of heat from a blow dryer can help loosen the adhesives, however be careful you don't melt or burn any part of the interior. You can then use a plastic razor blade or some floss and carefully try to remove it from the surface. A thin flimsy plastic credit card can also work. Go slow and don't use too much power, try finesse the best you can. If you have minimal residue left over the Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish should finish cleaning up the rest of it. If you have a lot left over you could try to use a clay bar on it instead of a product like goof off or the 3M Adhesive Remover. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0