E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Key Fob acting weird!

10-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
Jerez418
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Key Fob acting weird!

This morning I tried to unlock my car and noticed when I pressed the unlocked button on my fob nothing happened (not even a sound) so I tried locking and still nothing happened. I went up to the car and realized it was unlocked (thankfully) and i inserted the fob and started up the engine. As soon as I got to where I needed to be. I tried locking my car but nothing happened. Is this is a key fob battery issue? Does my fob need to be programmed again? It's able to start the car it just doesn't seem to unlock/lock now. Can anyone help?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Change the batteries if it's a comfort access key. That should fix it
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #3
Jerez418
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Unfortunately I don't have comfort access. But you think they battery could be the problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #4
ValveslapAdjustment
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi, 1989 E30 325iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez418 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have comfort access. But you think they battery could be the problem?
It could be, especially if you don't use the fob very often. It's rechargeable and charges when the fob is in the start slot in the dash. Took me a while to charge one of mine from dead.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #5
Jerez418
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveslapAdjustment View Post
Quote:
It could be, especially if you don't use the fob very often. It's rechargeable and charges when the fob is in the start slot in the dash. Took me a while to charge one of mine from dead.
It's my main fob, and I'm always using it. About how long did it take you to charge one from dead?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
ValveslapAdjustment
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's my main fob, and I'm always using it. About how long did it take you to charge one from dead?
Honestly, a couple weeks of sporadic driving and a couple of 4 hour trips. Now I alternate keys every time I drive.

If you live in a safe neighborhood, you could connect a battery tender to the car and leave your key in the dash with the accessories on overnight and it should charge the battery in the fob. Or someone could steal your car lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
Jerez418
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly, a couple weeks of sporadic driving and a couple of 4 hour trips. Now I alternate keys every time I drive.

If you live in a safe neighborhood, you could connect a battery tender to the car and leave your key in the dash with the accessories on overnight and it should charge the battery in the fob. Or someone could steal your car lol.
When I bought the car I was only given the one key fob. and it's strange because I use it every day. Although a couple months prior I would get the "battery" icon on my dash I guess it was indicating that it was low. And I live in a town home so I wouldn't trust leaving my car over night. I even checked the diversity antenna fuse and it seemed to be good still. I think it will be my battery. I just need to find someone who could solder a new one for me. Or do it myself. Once I open the casing do I need to get a new one?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #8
ValveslapAdjustment
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When I bought the car I was only given the one key fob. and it's strange because I use it every day. Although a couple months prior I would get the "battery" icon on my dash I guess it was indicating that it was low. And I live in a town home so I wouldn't trust leaving my car over night. I even checked the diversity antenna fuse and it seemed to be good still. I think it will be my battery. I just need to find someone who could solder a new one for me. Or do it myself. Once I open the casing do I need to get a new one?
I would just buy a new fob from the stealer if it were me.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 10:25 AM   #9
Jerez418
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would just buy a new fob from the stealer if it were me.
how much would the charge?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #10
charlie_m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328ix

Quote:
I just bought one from bimmer-tech.net, $300. If you need an internal mechanical key blade as well, it's another $65. Note you have to send them proof-of-ownership before they will ship it to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 03:51 PM   #11
Jerez418
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_m View Post
Quote:
I just bought one from bimmer-tech.net, $300. If you need an internal mechanical key blade as well, it's another $65. Note you have to send them proof-of-ownership before they will ship it to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_m View Post

$300? Is it even worth it? I think I'll try replacing the battery itself first by having someone solder it. and it doesn't work out then I guess I'll have to call the big dogs and give them all my money
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #12
charlie_m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328ix

Quote:
$300? Is it even worth it?
That's your call, I'm just trying to answer your question. It was worth it to me to have a spare key.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #13
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You can charge the non comfort access key out of the car with
a toothbrush or cell phone wireless charger.

Appreciate 1
      10-08-2021, 01:11 PM   #14
Jerez418
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I have a charging pad but when I place the key fob on it nothing happens and the pad doesn't turn on, when placing my phone on it the light indicates it's on the pad. I don't think the fob is strong enough to start up the pad to begin charging it
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 01:26 PM   #15
Jerez418
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Actually to trigger the pad to turn on, I placed an earphone case beside the fob and placed them both on the pad. The light is on meaning it's charging both devices (or just the headphone case haha) but I'll give it some time and see what happens.
Appreciate 0