E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > find a wallet, what would you do?

03-25-2007, 11:59 PM   #23
silvere90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: silver E90,silver,navi,

I'll use the credit cards for gas, and cash for wutever, because I think gas station is the most safe place to use credit cards,(no id check needed), gotta watch out if they have cameras on top though! after that ,I'll probably return the ID, because thats more important than money. Now days, you'll be very lucky if you get ur ID back, cash,credit cards? come on, how many of you would actually return the cash? Based on my experence, when I lost my wallet, I never expect to see it again in my life.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2007, 11:59 PM   #24
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvere90 View Post
I'll use the credit cards for gas, and cash for wutever, because I think gas station is the most safe place to use credit cards,(no id check needed), gotta watch out if they have cameras on top though! after that ,I'll probably return the ID, because thats more important than money. Now days, you'll be very lucky if you get ur ID back, cash,credits? come on, how many of you would actually return the cash? Based on my experence, when I lost my wallet, I never expect to see it again in my life.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 12:22 AM   #25
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
you're right. it obviously wasn't the "right" thing to do. and morally i believe that.

BUT i do believe that nice guys never win when it comes to crap like this.
First thing, you would definitely want your wallet returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz
how am i rewarded by doing the right thing? its more than likely the guy would have just said "wow, thank you so much, i really appreciate that". and i would have never heard from him again.
Second, you are rewarded by feeling great about how you responded to the situation. If the guy turns out to be ungrateful, so be it.

Quote:
is the feeling of doing the right thing really better than the 50 bucks? i'm not so sure. i've done 150 hrs community service for an old people home before, so i know what the feeling of doing the right thing is like. frankly id rather have the 50 bucks. i mean if it was an old lady wallet, i would have definetely given the $ back. but this was a 39 year old guy who lived in framingham which is a nice area in MA.
You answered your own question. In this particular case you felt as if the money was far more valuable than serving the elderly, I would feel the complete opposite. But that's just part of my how I was raise I suppose.

Quote:
you gotta get ahead in this world some way.
But this is so not the way to accomplish your goals, and you're smart enough to know it without me having to tell you so.
      03-26-2007, 12:22 AM   #26
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvere90 View Post
I'll use the credit cards for gas, and cash for wutever, because I think gas station is the most safe place to use credit cards,(no id check needed), gotta watch out if they have cameras on top though! after that ,I'll probably return the ID, because thats more important than money. Now days, you'll be very lucky if you get ur ID back, cash,credit cards? come on, how many of you would actually return the cash? Based on my experence, when I lost my wallet, I never expect to see it again in my life.
its the safest place, but i would be willing to bet you would be tracked down if he reported the cards within a day or two of the last time you used them at the gas station, you would probably have a better chance going to an atm at night with a hat on and maxing out each ones withdraw limit (and you would get more money too)

i wouldnt do that though, and im surprised you would, everyone here drives bmws so the small amount of money should not be worth the risk
      03-26-2007, 12:43 AM   #27
tommydogsdad
On My Third Drop Top BMW!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_328 View Post
First thing, you would definitely want your wallet returned.

Second, you are rewarded by feeling great about how you responded to the situation. If the guy turns out to be ungrateful, so be it.

You answered your own question. In this particular case you felt as if the money was far more valuable than serving the elderly, I would feel the complete opposite. But that's just part of my how I was raise I suppose.

But this is so not the way to accomplish your goals, and you're smart enough to know it without me having to tell you so.
Thanks for being a nice guy! It's reading posts like this that keep my faith alive in humanity!
      03-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #28
myfirstbimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
its the safest place, but i would be willing to bet you would be tracked down if he reported the cards within a day or two of the last time you used them at the gas station, you would probably have a better chance going to an atm at night with a hat on and maxing out each ones withdraw limit (and you would get more money too)

i wouldnt do that though, and im surprised you would, everyone here drives bmws so the small amount of money should not be worth the risk
ATM?? A hat...??? i would suggest a ski mask instead! Doesn't all the ATMs have a security camera mounted behind the dark tinted plastic to take a perfect shoot of your face??

35% Formula 1 Ceramic Tints, //M E-Brake handle, //M Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #29
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
you're right. it obviously wasn't the "right" thing to do. and morally i believe that.

BUT i do believe that nice guys never win when it comes to crap like this.

how am i rewarded by doing the right thing? its more than likely the guy would have just said "wow, thank you so much, i really appreciate that". and i would have never heard from him again.

is the feeling of doing the right thing really better than the 50 bucks? i'm not so sure. i've done 150 hrs community service for an old people home before, so i know what the feeling of doing the right thing is like. frankly id rather have the 50 bucks. i mean if it was an old lady wallet, i would have definetely given the $ back. but this was a 39 year old guy who lived in framingham which is a nice area in MA.

Virtue is it's own reward.

You know your 'price' now ... you will steal for $50.

My price is a lot higher than that.

If it were me I would have handed the wallet in at a local police station and asked them to log it formally, so I could make sure that they got it back to it's former owner.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #30
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstbimmer View Post
ATM?? A hat...??? i would suggest a ski mask instead! Doesn't all the ATMs have a security camera mounted behind the dark tinted plastic to take a perfect shoot of your face??
thats what the hat would be for, if you look down it will cover your face...

if you went up to an atm w/ a ski mask on, someone would call the cops lol
      03-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #31
atha
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 M5 ,space grau

for 51 bucks i d leave it to the police. i d reconcider i guess if it was 51000

hehe
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #32
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Quote:
there are many other ways to get ahead in this world other than petty theft. work is one.

i'd hand it all back. theft is still theft.

i wouldn't be able to rant about the ills of society if i was a contributer to it's current state either
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #33
dmfitz82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I don't think that taking $51 is going to help you 'get ahead' in life - if anything, that's asking for bad charma...
      03-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #34
ski360
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
good point i never thought about that. unfortunately this was a few days ago, i only kept it for a day... after i couldnt get in touch with him was when i decided to keep the money..... next day i brought it back to the conductor who said hed bring it to the lost and found at the station.....

hopefully the guy has his crap back, i know it was probably the wrong thing to do..... but i don't know if you guys know what its like being a broke college kid who comes across an opportunity olike that one
Well I just lost my wallet and someone was nice enough to hold on to so when I returned 15 mins later it was given back. So IMHO you're a douche bag.

Secondly if you're a broke college kid why the hell did you take the money and use it to buy weed. Get a job, and no matter how you try and spin it, its still stealing.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #35
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
id put 300$ in it and give it back to him, would be funny
Where can I lose my wallet where you'd be sure to find it?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #36
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
You have the guy's address. Why not do the right thing, package it up intact, and mail it back to him register post. Sure, you don't get any monetary reward but obviously you'd just blow it on crap anyway. The reward for an honest act lies in your heart and mind and will stick with you far longer than your braincells are going to. Restore someone's faith in the human race and send it back with the money.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #37
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
lol... imho theres no "half right" just because you took some of it...

if thers a name and ID... i'd just find the rightful owner and give them everything back... it's a pain in the ass to do but in the end you'll feel better about yourself. plus its not hard to do... license => address... no license... call credit card company and tell them you have their card...

if thers no name and ID... just keep the cash and give back the wallet cause its probably some kid's who doesn't really have that much to lose... just a few bucks.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #38
NaTuReB0Y