E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FYI... for 335...software update from BMW will equal power...

04-21-2007, 02:58 AM   #89
Dustin Bramell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, 125cc Trackmagic

Sorry guys, I think it was a typo. What the service advisor actually said was "9-T hp." The T stands for Tooning, of course.

There is no way they will do this. And even if they wanted to, the car will not make 90 more HP given the octane limitations.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 03:33 AM   #90
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

naw it aint gonna happen bro, false
      04-21-2007, 03:41 AM   #91
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

I hope that they add, at least as an option, a bolt-on cylinder-kit with the 90hp upgrade that will make even more HP in inline-8 config. That would be both fast and furious. A guy I know has a nephew that's man-boy-married to the chief engineer at BMW's M-division, and he said that BMW is looking into a NOS upgrade for less than a grand, and the full waranty will apply. The coolest thing about the NOS upgrade is that it comes with red LED undercarriage ground effects that illuminate when you spray. I for one, am super-psyched about this OEM mod. That and the extra 90hp will be totally rad. My SA is a super-tard, because he hung up on me when I asked about pre-ordering these options. I'm just thankfull for the 'inter-tube' because these forums put me in 'the know'. My source also mentined a free LSD upgrade using the next-gen M3's M-diff. But don't tell anyone, because he said that it was a perk granted at the dealer's discretion. There's more, but 'loose lips sink ships' ya know. 4/20's a way of life, not a date, BTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 03:57 AM   #92
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Jeep SRT8, SC'd '06 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarj View Post
I hope that they add, at least as an option, a bolt-on cylinder-kit with the 90hp upgrade that will make even more HP in inline-8 config. That would be both fast and furious. A guy I know has a nephew that's man-boy-married to the chief engineer at BMW's M-division, and he said that BMW is looking into a NOS upgrade for less than a grand, and the full waranty will apply. The coolest thing about the NOS upgrade is that it comes with red LED undercarriage ground effects that illuminate when you spray. I for one, am super-psyched about this OEM mod. That and the extra 90hp will be totally rad. My SA is a super-tard, because he hung up on me when I asked about pre-ordering these options. I'm just thankfull for the 'inter-tube' because these forums put me in 'the know'. My source also mentined a free LSD upgrade using the next-gen M3's M-diff. But don't tell anyone, because he said that it was a perk granted at the dealer's discretion. There's more, but 'loose lips sink ships' ya know. 4/20's a way of life, not a date, BTW!
      04-21-2007, 04:06 AM   #93
FKNBD808BMR
FKNBD808BMR
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36,e46,e90

good joke..h ah aha haa
      04-21-2007, 05:14 AM   #94
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevE90zsp View Post
Maybe it was 50hp for $900??? Either case I call bs like everyone else obviously.

90hp for $500? Does this stack? 180hp for $1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
90 hp is about what the procede gives you so it is a reasonable # based on how small the turbos are. Whether or not BMW decides to go this route remains to be seen. Now another 90hp to bring you a total gain of 180 will probably cost in the neighborhood of 5K. HP gains cost exponentially more money and time and risk.
I was commenting on how any gain for only 500 BMW dollars would be ridiculous. I wasn't serious about the +90hp per +$500 either.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 07:16 AM   #95
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1 View Post
I think you need to do a little more research. This is twice in this thread you suggested the PROcede adds 90 HP. Go back and look at the Dyno's.
Actually 90HP translates into 67whp so I think I am spot on.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 07:27 AM   #96
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevE90zsp View Post
I was commenting on how any gain for only 500 BMW dollars would be ridiculous. I wasn't serious about the +90hp per +$500 either.

Granted a 500 or even 1500 dollar performance mod like this from BMW seems somewhat unlikely, but not impossible since it really would require only software to achieve those gains.
If they actually did do this I believe it would be the first time ever that a car company ever did something like this which also makes it unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #97
BavarianRocket
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, Jet Black

Ok..... spent time with my SA last night.... just happens to be a friend from high school years ago.

The answer is they are coming out with the upgrade... he didn't know what the price was but he was told a 20% gain so 60 hp. Whether you choose to believe or not is your issue.

As far as all of these morons saying that it would cut into M3 sales, ummm no..... as has been said before people by M3's for more then just the power, if all people wanted was hp there would be EVO's all over the place and the world would end.

All I can say is if there is any possibility of a reflash from BMW that will completely eliminate warranty concerns I am all over it.

My friend went on to say that there have been serious concerns from BMW NA on these "tuners" It is a major enough concern with increased warranty repairs that they are currently developing new codes to detect if the ECU or boost levels have been tampered with.

Just what I heard let the BS calling begin!!!!
      04-21-2007, 07:53 AM   #98
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
I wonder how did I got along on Saturdays without you and Terry
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #99
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Will this include stickers?
      04-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #100
dmeyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
Will this include stickers?
Stickers add 5whp.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #101
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
I had seen a 400 hp package that was listed on Vishnu's site. It didn't have a link and I think was indicating that it was being worked on, but has since disappeared.
That was supposed to be a PROcede and exhaust package. Dunno where it went either.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #102
iwanta335
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
I think we all have to agree there is easy money to be made here by BMW. It has been publically stated that they (and other car companies) are focusing on the very large aftermarket pie. 90hp increase? Of course not, but 30hp for $1000 - $1500 seems like a no-brainer if you're a corporate bean counter. Most likely will be whatever software upgrade is already offered on new models as performance option, then later on for sale to 07 owners. Don't base your opinion on past, the business is changing and I would bet on this at some point in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #103
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanta335 View Post
I think we all have to agree there is easy money to be made here by BMW. It has been publically stated that they (and other car companies) are focusing on the very large aftermarket pie. 90hp increase? Of course not, but 30hp for $1000 - $1500 seems like a no-brainer if you're a corporate bean counter. Most likely will be whatever software upgrade is already offered on new models as performance option, then later on for sale to 07 owners. Don't base your opinion on past, the business is changing and I would bet on this at some point in the future.
I agree. And especially since they are only quoting peak HP and/or TQ increase, they can tune a very conservative tune with the peak quoted, not the aggressive tune that aftermarket tuners are after (ie a smaller area under the curve). The conservative tune will maintain maximal engine life and keep the car from competing to any great degree with the M3, and still be able to quote a 10% increase in power (at least peak), with a simple mod from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #104
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Now I know this is a different car, but to make a point...

The 3rd gen RX-7 was stock 255 bhp. It used twin Hitachi HT-12 turbos at 10psi. With proper mods, the stockers could give you about 360 whp at the absolute top end of their usefullness without overheating everything.
That's true, on that car, 320whp is about the limit before you'd have to upgrade fuel delivery from stock - the most serious non-bolt on mod.

As you may know, to get useable 360whp on the 3rd gen RX-7 you'd need to replace the entire exhaust system (downpipe, center cat, cat-back), add/replace injectors, change O2 sensor, add boost/fuel delivery control, upgrade the clutch, upgrade intercooler. At 2900lbs, you'd also have a wheel hop prob., so you'd need some suspension work, like a launch kit. Believe me, it adds up! A 360whp on the RX-7 is about a 4.1-4.2 sec 0-60 car that will break into 11s 1/4 mi. (I had 320whp that ran 12.3s 1/4 mi and about 4.4s 0-60) Although the 335i is much heavier, its crazy torque would probably provide similar times.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 10:28 AM   #105
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Your friend might not be "lying" to you but he is probably misinformed. We will see.
I agree. While there are some good SA's, most of the ones I've run into wouldn't know what was really going in at BMW even if they had an office at corporate.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #106
335hopefull
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: thinking about 335 sdn auto sp

310-320whp and lsd for around 2500.00 would be AWSOME!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #107
335hopefull
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: thinking about 335 sdn auto sp

in other words were do I sign.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #108
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotios330i View Post
no way! If it was true that would be phenominal.They wouldnt let 500.00 make it 30 less horsepower than an M3.imo anyways.
luckily the M3 is much MORE than just HP...
      04-21-2007, 12:18 PM   #109
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianRocket View Post
Ok..... spent time with my SA last night.... just happens to be a friend from high school years ago.

The answer is they are coming out with the upgrade... he didn't know what the price was but he was told a 20% gain so 60 hp. Whether you choose to believe or not is your issue.

As far as all of these morons saying that it would cut into M3 sales, ummm no..... as has been said before people by M3's for more then just the power, if all people wanted was hp there would be EVO's all over the place and the world would end.

All I can say is if there is any possibility of a reflash from BMW that will completely eliminate warranty concerns I am all over it.

My friend went on to say that there have been serious concerns from BMW NA on these "tuners" It is a major enough concern with increased warranty repairs that they are currently developing new codes to detect if the ECU or boost levels have been tampered with.

Just what I heard let the BS calling begin!!!!
what about us morons who think it would cut into 550i sales (i.e. if the reflash was done on the 535i as well)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #110
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Are you serious?
In the sense that there is a sizeable market segment that would be very interested in buying a car that has a factory-based accessories unit with options to increase hp to 350+, and other significant performance options with warranty that put the 335 well beyond the G37, S4, IS350.

Aaaagh, I must be spending too much time on this list. What was I thinking. Of course the average buyer is probably more concerned with ventilated seats, etc.
Appreciate 0