E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Can a failing hpfp have an effect on the lpfp?? Please help!

04-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
racerg35335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Space gray 335i coupe

Can a failing hpfp have an effect on the lpfp?? Please help!

PLEASE HELP!! I have been having low lfp for some time now and codes associated with it. Supposed to be 72psi and has been getting worse over time. Now it basically sits at 32psi and lowers under WOT. I have basically replaced the entire low fuel pressure system. First I replaced the lpfp with the walbro 455 (yes I have run e85.. but only about 3 tanks of an e30 mix). Problem persisted but car ran fine and trims were in check but then the car went into limp due to low fuel pressure. I thought maybe it was the lfp sensor so I replaced that. Still the proplem persisted so I replaced the fuel pressure regulator/filter. Still no change. This is about to drive me crazy. I have replaced fuses as well just to be sure. Does anybody have any idea what else this could be. The low pressure system is all new. Could the hpfp or the injectors cause the lfp to be low if one of them are failing. Also according to logs. The car is not running lean and hfp is at target. Although I was not logging the few times the car threw the injector shutdown code and went into limp. Please help if you have any idea. I am out of warranty and really don't wanna be raped by a dealer but I am about to that point. Thanks for your time
      04-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435i

I just got my HPFP replaced, before it was replaced i was getting code for lpfp fail and lpfp sensor fail. Dealer only change the hpfp and everything is working now with no codes. so quite possible. I was getting hpfp codes at the same time though.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
racerg35335
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmn1337 View Post
I just got my HPFP replaced, before it was replaced i was getting code for lpfp fail and lpfp sensor fail. Dealer only change the hpfp and everything is working now with no codes. so quite possible. I was getting hpfp codes at the same time though.
Yea I have gotten both lp sensor and pump failure codes as well. I have had nothing on the hp side yet. Were you getting long cranks and the usual hpfp symptoms? I have yet to experience any of the usual symptoms which, in combination with the codes, made me fell sure the problem was in the low pressure system. Thanks for the reply. That atleast lets me know of another possibility...and hopefully a warranty fix.
      04-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep

yeah i had semi long cranks and a lot of stumbling when the car was cold.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
racerg35335
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Btw. Do you remember if you were getting 2A2D codes.. low fuel pressure. Thanks again.
      04-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep

I believe that is the code, ill check the paperwork from the Dealer tomorrow cuz its at work.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
jdbretz
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 X5d, '12 M3 ZCP, '12 F30

Check out this thread. It may be related to what you are experiencing:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821304

It may not be related, but something else you could check.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
Jeller
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90 ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbretz View Post

Or possibly a line burst? did you use the correct submersible fuel line?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

Replacing my HPFP cured my LPFP under-target issues completely. I thought my LPFP was going for a while. Logs of HPFP and LPFP seamed to indicate the LPFP was the culprit. I finally starting hitting limp mode under WOT, and popped codes associated with the HPFP recall, so I had it replaced under that campaign just to rule it out. I have not had an LPFP issue since, it's good to go with ~E45 FBO.
      04-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
racerg35335
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I believe that is the code, ill check the paperwork from the Dealer tomorrow cuz its at work.
Thanks. If ayou have a list of the codes you were throwing that would be helpful. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbretz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeller View Post
Or possibly a line burst? did you use the correct submersible fuel line?
Thanks guys. Yea I have seen that thread. I am using the proper line and hae checked connections a few times. I was having the same issue with the stock pump so I don't think it has anything to do with the walbro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
Replacing my HPFP cured my LPFP under-target issues completely. I thought my LPFP was going for a while. Logs of HPFP and LPFP seamed to indicate the LPFP was the culprit. I finally starting hitting limp mode under WOT, and popped codes associated with the HPFP recall, so I had it replaced under that campaign just to rule it out. I have not had an LPFP issue since, it's good to go with ~E45 FBO.
That sounds like my problem exactly. Everything points to thelp side. Car ran fine for a while with lp under target but I am now getting limp mode with fuel pump. Lp sensor. Injector shutdown codes. Do you remeber off hand the codes you had?? I will have to uninstall my cobb and hope they pop up again. Only thing I haven't had is long cranks which steared me away from the hpfp.. but that's the only thing I can see the problem being at this point. Thanks for your input!
      04-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wishing you luck on getting this fixed!!!
      04-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just looked at my paperwork, i did have a 2A2D code which they replaced the low fuel pressure sensor along with the hpfp.

Sounds like hpfp is your culprit if you haven't changed it yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
racerg35335
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Wishing you luck on getting this fixed!!!
Thanks man. Its driving me crazy not to mention a lot of time and $500+ so far. Luckily I have another vehicle. Probably gonna have to go to the stealership and suck it up. Hopefully its the hpfp under warranty.
      04-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
racerg35335
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just looked at my paperwork, i did have a 2A2D code which they replaced the low fuel pressure sensor along with the hpfp.

Sounds like hpfp is your culprit if you haven't changed it yet.
Hopefully so. I know the car was on its third hpfp when I bought over a year ago. My pump has a part number on it ending with -02 and from what I have seen the newest version is ends with -03. Thanks for taking the time to look for me.