E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Claying/Polishing tips

06-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Claying/Polishing tips

Hey guys, I am planning on claying my car today with Zaino claybar as well as polishing it and I had a few questions

1. I am unsure as to clay just the hairline scratches and swirls or do the whole car.

2. It says on the directions to wash the clayed area afterwards but it is not specific as to how. Could I use detail spray? or should I wash (and dry) the whole car with dawn again? (just did this yesterday).

3. I just got a new Porter cable 7424XP with XL pad kit (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable...cessories.html) and I want to make sure that I use it correctly to insure I get the best results. Should I apply the Zaino polish with the buffer or do it by hand with the cotton applicator pads that I have?

4. Which pads should I use for applying and which one should I use for buffing?

5. Can I use Zaino Polish on windows or trim? Or should I tape off everything?

Sorry if this is too many questions, I just want to make sure I do everything correctly and preserve my paint. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Mk
      06-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk335i View Post
Hey guys, I am planning on claying my car today with Zaino claybar as well as polishing it and I had a few questions

1. I am unsure as to clay just the hairline scratches and swirls or do the whole car.

2. It says on the directions to wash the clayed area afterwards but it is not specific as to how. Could I use detail spray? or should I wash (and dry) the whole car with dawn again? (just did this yesterday).

3. I just got a new Porter cable 7424XP with XL pad kit (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable...cessories.html) and I want to make sure that I use it correctly to insure I get the best results. Should I apply the Zaino polish with the buffer or do it by hand with the cotton applicator pads that I have?

4. Which pads should I use for applying and which one should I use for buffing?

5. Can I use Zaino Polish on windows or trim? Or should I tape off everything?

Sorry if this is too many questions, I just want to make sure I do everything correctly and preserve my paint. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Mk
1. Do the whole car! This will pull all the contaminants out of the paint

2. You can wash the whole car afterwards but when you clay, you spray the QD and then clay and then wipe off with a microfiber

3. It says Zaino is a polish but it is really just a sealant. Z2 and Z5 have no correcting properties. I apply Zaino with the applicator spritzed with Z6

4. If you don't have any real polishes, you can use the black to apply Z2 and Z5 but they absorb lots of liquid, you may end up wasting your Zaino

5. Zaino is not a polish it's a sealant, I do not use it on windows or trim. I have specific products for those.

You need to get some polishes to do any paint correction, swirl removal, and scratches

Hope this helps
      06-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxjax View Post
1. Do the whole car! This will pull all the contaminants out of the paint

2. You can wash the whole car afterwards but when you clay, you spray the QD and then clay and then wipe off with a microfiber

3. It says Zaino is a polish but it is really just a sealant. Z2 and Z5 have no correcting properties. I apply Zaino with the applicator spritzed with Z6

4. If you don't have any real polishes, you can use the black to apply Z2 and Z5 but they absorb lots of liquid, you may end up wasting your Zaino

5. Zaino is not a polish it's a sealant, I do not use it on windows or trim. I have specific products for those.

You need to get some polishes to do any paint correction, swirl removal, and scratches

Hope this helps
Awesome. Appreciate the help.

One more thing, should I tape off the trim and roudels when applying the sealant? Or is it not going to do it any harm? Also, which pad to use for buffing the sealant off and on what setting?

Trying to get experienced at this, hoping I can master detailing over time.
      06-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:

One more thing, should I tape off the trim and roudels when applying the sealant? Or is it not going to do it any harm? Also, which pad to use for buffing the sealant off and on what setting?

For me, I tend to go generous on the tape. Tape is cheaper than having to repair/replace something in the future. I'll apply tape to anything that I'm not applying sealant or polishing down. (I even tape off if I want to polish the flat part of the ridges and then do the ridges after - it protects the clear on the peak of the ridges from getting worn down faster than the rest of the car).

I'm not using a random orbit but a right angle polisher so I go with the lowest setting (just takes longer). I tend to use the white pad a lot but the black pad probably works just as well. The amount of cutting depends on a combination of the speed of your polisher, the pad used, the polishing compound grit used, and the amount of pressure you apply.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
zaxjax
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:

Anytime!

Just be very careful applying your sealant. I apply all waxes and sealants by hand, never with a machine. You generate heat with a machine and it's not the best for bonding.

You can tape to be safe, it will not hurt your Roundel but it may stain black plastic trim.

Read this it may help!

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/
      06-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Z2/5 by hand with the supplied applicators spritzed with Z6. Rub off with MF towel. It should take about 1 hour to get two coats on/off if you use the ZFX additive. Since you have Monaco, one coat of Z5 (includes some filler) then a coat of Z2 would probably be better UNLESS you are doing paint correction. You need something like the Menzerna line to use that PC to any good use doing the correction.

Last edited by UncleWede; 06-29-2009 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Appreciate all the replies.

Can I use the PC to buff off the Z2/Z5? If so what pad (couldn't find it on your link). My arm nearly gave out last time I did 3 coats by hand, so that's why I ask.

Also, the way some of you are describing applying the Z5/Z2 it sounds like it doesn't need to sit and haze, is that right? "1 hour to get two coats on/off"

- Thanks
      06-26-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
zaxjax
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Appreciate all the replies.

Can I use the PC to buff off the Z2/Z5? If so what pad (couldn't find it on your link). My arm nearly gave out last time I did 3 coats by hand, so that's why I ask.

Also, the way some of you are describing applying the Z5/Z2 it sounds like it doesn't need to sit and haze, is that right? "1 hour to get two coats on/off"

- Thanks
Yuo could buff it off with the machine but if your having a hrad time buffing you used way too much Zaino. Apply it in really thin coats, about a dime sized drop for a 2x2 section.

I apply a coat of Z2 to the whole car, by the time I finish my starting point is ready to buff off. I normally go inside grab a drink, go potty, make sure the wife is cooking dinner and then buff off.
      06-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

If you fill half of that little applicator bottle they give you, that's enough for 2 coats EASY. Like Zax said, just as you get around to the starting point (USING ZFX) it's ready to come off. It doesn't take that much pressure to remove if it's on in the right quantity.

If your arm is getting tired, do a single coat at a time. You just need to do a regular wash next weekend and then apply another coat, not a full Dawn wash/clay/polish.

Last edited by UncleWede; 06-29-2009 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Yuo could buff it off with the machine but if your having a hrad time buffing you used way too much Zaino. Apply it in really thin coats, about a dime sized drop for a 2x2 section.

I apply a coat of Z2 to the whole car, by the time I finish my starting point is ready to buff off. I normally go inside grab a drink, go potty, make sure the wife is cooking dinner and then buff off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
If you fill half of that little applicator bottle they give you, that's enough for 2 coats EASY. Like Zax said, just as you get around to the starting point (USING Z4) it's ready to come off. It doesn't take that much pressure to remove if it's on in the right quantity.

If your arm is getting tired, do a single coat at a time. You just need to do a regular wash next weekend and then apply another coat, not a full Dawn wash/clay/polish.
See the problem I think I have been having is I have been applying too much and then also waiting too long. I'm thinking it will be much easier this time around. And I never thought of applying another coat next weekend... Hmm.

I really appreciate the help guys, this is where forums really come into their own element.
      06-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

You can continue to layer after the intial detail, as long as you clean it. If you Dawn or clay, you are starting over with zero coats. I often get up to 6 or 7 before another clay/polish session on my vehicles. Then just normal washing in between. You'd be hard pressed to beleive my truck is 2002 just by seeing the reflection in the hood (when it's clean)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Well I started at 12pm and ended at 9pm. Put 2 coats of Z5 followed by one coat of Z2. Then I used the detail spray on the whole car. I also used Zaino tire gloss to make the tires pop. Took longer than I thought it would but then again I am a perfectionist, everything has to be at least 95% perfect . I really appreciate all the help.

- Mk
      06-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #13
zaxjax
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Well I started at 12pm and ended at 9pm. Put 2 coats of Z5 followed by one coat of Z2. Then I used the detail spray on the whole car. I also used Zaino tire gloss to make the tires pop. Took longer than I thought it would but then again I am a perfectionist, everything has to be at least 95% perfect . I really appreciate all the help.

- Mk
If you get the ZFX accelerator, you can apply another coat of Z2 or Z5 about twenty minutes after the first. If you apply a thin coat to the whole car and let it sit for about 20 minutes, it's long enough.
      06-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #14
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
You can tape to be safe, it will not hurt your Roundel but it may stain black plastic trim.
Tape off anything flat (in the "not glossy" sense) when you're polishing; when applying sealant it depends on the product. I usually use Werkstatt sealants (Acrylic Jett and/or Trigger) and I run it over everything: paintwork, trim, glass, lights, the works. The only thing I avoid is the felt around the sunroof, and that's easy enough without tape. Beats the hell out of RainX
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Thought I would give you guys a pic of the finished product for all your help.

This was at a local car show this morning.

I actually had random people coming up asking what I did to make her so shiny.

It looks like a mirror when she is in the shade.
      06-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
zaxjax
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Great job!