E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Going to Hong Kong...

08-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Going to Hong Kong...

Hi,

I'm going to be in HK for about 5 days. Any recommendations as to where I should eat and not to be missed places?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

Hey, you're in for a great time. The variety of places to eat here are endless. What type of food do you like?

As for places to visit, I made this for a friend who came and visited a couple of years ago:

Places to Party
Soho
This is Hong Kong's SoHo (South of Hollywood Road ), a small area that has emerged as a great place for fine wining and dining in the last few years. The numerous upmarket eateries in the area, especially along Shelley, Staunton and Elgin Streets, offer a myriad of different international cuisines including French, Nepalese, Italian, Mexican, Portuguese and Indian, to name but a few. There is bound to be something for everyone!

Lan Kwai Fong
Once an "expat hangout," but locals have gradually joined in the party fun. Centered around an L-shaped cobblestone lane just above the Central business area, Lan Kwai Fong houses some of the trendiest pubs and entertainment hangouts in town. Every year, during Christmas, New Year's and Halloween, people dress up and parade through the streets. But, whatever the time of year, Lan Kwai Fong is definitely a fun place to see and to be seen.

Happy Valley Races
More of an excuse to get wasties than anything else, expats gather at the beer garden of the Hong Kong racecourse during the summer. Great atmosphere. Betting/watching the races is optional

Wanchai
Once a red light district during the Vietnam War, Wanchai, in many tourist guidebooks, is still linked with the name Suzie Wong. Although it had the reputation of being a sailors' paradise in the late 1950s, it is mainly a business and entertainment area nowadays. Bars, dance halls, nightclubs and karaoke rooms co-exist with modern office plazas, art centers and a wide variety of inexpensive restaurants. The rows of narrow streets house all sorts of interesting shops including printers, small fashion outlets, sign-writers and so on. You can also find many street stalls around the area.

Sevva
This beautiful restaurant/bar has a large terrace overlooking central and statue square. One of the most awe inspiring views in HK.

Knutsford Terrace
The slightly more seedy version of Lan Kwai Fong across the harbor

Macau
The Las Vegas of the Far East.

Attractions
Victoria Peak
If you haven't been to Victoria Peak, also known as "The Peak", you haven't been to Hong Kong! All visitors to Hong Kong should go to the Peak for panoramic views of the city, which have to be amongst the most spectacular in the world, especially at night. A walk around the Peak reveals further scenic vistas over the greener western parts of Hong Kong Island, and the viewing platforms on top of the Peak Tower and Peak Galleria are a must for anyone with a camera. A tram will get you to the top. Tourists are charged depending on the kind of ticket purchased.

Stanley
Famous for its wide variety of relatively inexpensive goods such as Chinese souvenirs, rattan products, handicrafts and fake designer labels, Stanley offers more than just shopping. The neighborhood also boasts a relaxing beach, a plethora of waterfront restaurants and bars, the 18th-century Tin Hau Temple and the Stanley Prison , which is still in use today. The prison is also historically important, as this is where Hong Kong civilians were held during the Second World War.

Mong Kok Shopping/Flower Market
The most populated place by square foot on Earth. Local shops with great deals on clothes souvenirs and a flower market so bustling it can’t be missed.

Star Ferry
Hustle down to the Star Ferry and take the short ten-minute trip across Victoria Harbour , either to the Kowloon or Central side. Gaze up at Hong Kong's majestic skyline, which is an erratic stretch of skyscrapers, hotels and apartment blocks. The nighttime views, when Hong Kong glitters like a diamond, are dramatic. As it's the cheapest therapy in town for one of the best views in the world, few people disembark in anything but the lightest of moods.

Noonday Gun
Anyone who knows about the Noonday Gun will remember Noel Coward's 1924 song, "Mad Dogs and Englishmen," which tells the world: "In Hong Kong they strike a gong, and fire off a noonday gun, to reprimand each inmate, who's in late." This historic relic, built in 1901, is still fired everyday and is the best-known landmark in Causeway Bay . It is situated in a small garden on Gloucester Road right across from the Excelsior Hotel .

Central
As the name implies, Central is the center of the city. It is the transportation hub, business center and seat of the government headquarters. Anyone interested in architecture should take the Heritage and Architecture Walk organized by the Hong Kong Tourist Association. It is a great way to explore Central's old and new structures, including I. M. Pei's soaring Bank of China Tower , Sir Norman Foster's high-tech Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank Headquarters , the 150-year-old French Mission Building , and the oldest Anglican church in the Far East.

Adventures
Junk Trip to Sai Wan
A wooden Chinese yacht known as a "Junk" transports occupants to an island with sandy shorelines and home to Hong Kong’s fresh water rock pools. Only the intrepid jump, but those who do carry a memory they will never forget.

Big Buddha
Although this is quite a jaunt from central Hong Kong (a ferry trip and a long, at times frightening, bus ride, or a sky rail), it is well worth the trip. Buddhas don't get any bigger than this. Dreamed up by the community of monks on Lantau , it took more than ten years to build. It is made entirely of metal and consists of a steel framework covered by steel and bronze "skin," as well as over one ton of gold amalgam. Note, however, that there are 268 steps to get to the Buddha.

Shek O
Although mainly a small village with a traditionally Chinese community ambience, Shek O is also home to some of Hong Kong's wealthiest families, who live in luxurious mansions perched along the headland. A number of restaurants and cafes within the village and along the sandy beach offer refreshments in relaxing open-air surroundings, making this one of Hong Kong's most popular seaside destinations. Even though it is around two hours travel from Central , it is well worth the trip.

Clearwater Bay/Sai Kung
This is where I grew up. There are lots of hiking trails, brilliant local restaurants and beautiful beaches.

Lamma Island
For a great day out, take the ferry from Central to Yung Shue Wan, spend some time on Hung Shing Ye Beach and then hike over to Sok Kwu Wan for an evening meal in one of the many seafood restaurants before heading back to Central or Aberdeen .

Tai Tam Country Park
Home to natures one of nature’s greatest phenomenons, a red soiled reservoir. Waterfalls and pristine views abound.

Lantau
This is the biggest of all the outlying islands, almost twice the size of Hong Kong Island. Although the new town of Tung Chung next to the airport is bringing more people to Lantau, the island is still largely unspoilt and undeveloped. The general atmosphere is tranquil with many hiking trails snaking across the rugged peaks. Lantau Peak is the highest, and at nearly 1,000 metres, it is almost twice as tall as Victoria Peak . Home to the Big Buddha (not to be missed on a trip to Lantau) and the Po Lin Monastery , this escape from hectic city life should be on everyone's itinerary.

Ocean Park
This park features a full-fledged amusement park with the popular Dragon Roller Coaster, a Ferris wheel, a marine park with a shark aquarium, and a Chinese cultural village with temples, pagodas and traditional street displays. The star attraction, though, has to be the theme park's two very adorable pandas. A great way to start the day's amusements is by ascending via cable car to the headlands.

Dragons’s back, Twin Peaks
Two of the most amazing hikes on Hong Kong Island.
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
Noonday Gun
Anyone who knows about the Noonday Gun will remember Noel Coward's 1924 song, "Mad Dogs and Englishmen," which tells the world: "In Hong Kong they strike a gong, and fire off a noonday gun, to reprimand each inmate, who's in late." This historic relic, built in 1901, is still fired everyday and is the best-known landmark in Causeway Bay . It is situated in a small garden on Gloucester Road right across from the Excelsior Hotel .
This thing scares the shit out of me when I'm taking photos in CWB

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
cc_bavarian
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2007+ E90 330i

Garage List
2007 E90 330i  [0.00]
I never knew this thing existed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy J View Post
This thing scares the shit out of me when I'm taking photos in CWB
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
Harriz.c
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 // F07 5GT // X5 G05 //

Garage List
2012 BMW m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_bavarian View Post
I never knew this thing existed here.
i thought they stopped using it...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thank you laguna seca blue!! Awesome post!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

No worries man.

You should join us on one of our Sunday Morning Drives while you're here. You can ride shotgun in my car, but a quick disclaimer - I did flip an E46 M3 in January
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Lol i was just thinking about Going to one of those meets. Unfortunately i wont be there on a sunday. It would be awesome though! I wanna see all those lambos and exotic cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #9
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

That's too bad. You can always just wander around Central for half-an-hour. You'll see your fair share of Ferrari's and Lambo's, that's for sure

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
That's too bad. You can always just wander around Central for half-an-hour. You'll see your fair share of Ferrari's and Lambo's, that's for sure
Just saw a new Ferrari FF in White, looks and sounds amazing!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Trying to decide if I should lug my DSLR camera gear around...advice?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #12
oedipol
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scflaw View Post
Just saw a new Ferrari FF in White, looks and sounds amazing!
I think it is the test drive car from Ferrari dealer ! I saw it too at the repulse bay showroom !
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by oedipol View Post
I think it is the test drive car from Ferrari dealer ! I saw it too at the repulse bay showroom !
Pictures don't do it justice, i was kind of weary from the online pictures i've seen but in real life the car has quite nice proportions. Nice exhaust note too! Don't test drive cars need to have T plates? The one i saw didn't have T plates.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #14
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Looks like im going to be spending Sunday there after all. I might be able to come out to the meet/drive for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #15
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

Oh awesome! I actually think there's going to be one this Sunday, but I won't be there because my car is getting repainted. Send me a PM with where you're staying and I'll try and get you hooked up a forum member who may pass by you so they can pick you up on the way to the meeting point.

We meet super early though, 6am, so you'll have to be out of bed at around 5am. Haha

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #16
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Trying to decide if I should lug my DSLR camera gear around...advice?
If you haven't already left the US, i highly recommend bringing your DSLR, the architecture will blow your mind.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Ah shucks. I just landed. I thought about bringing the dslr but didnt want to lug a heavy camera around. I have my S95 with me though so it'll have to do. Haha

I'll send a PM if I think i can make it to the meet. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

It's farking humid here in HK. I drank so much water yesterday and only went to the restroom once since i sweated it all out...everything here is pretty expensive. I wondee how much people make on a monthly average.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

i went to the HK airport once, really really nice and modern airport i must say!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #20
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeah it's pretty nice. The buildings here are so high it hurts my neck Looking up at the peak.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #21
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

Haha, you're from the SF bay area, right? Humidity is awesome, you just got to embrace it. What are you doing here, are you visiting friends or on holiday with family?

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

I just wanted to get away for a week so i decided to go to HK. I wanted some time to myself to kinda relax and see things. Then my parents decided they wanted to go with me so here we are. Didnt exactly get time to myself but whatever.
Appreciate 0