E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: How to install a 50mm 4" Speaker in an e92 e93 Door

08-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
BMWE934me
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i E93 Alpine White

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
DIY: How to install a 50mm 4" Speaker in an e92 e93 Door

There are many things I have done while doing my stereo upgrade that I hope none of you do. But this might be one that could be helpful.

I looked everywhere and never found this information. I did however look at the list of great speakers that work and fit in a 3 series, unless you have an e92 or e93.

So after I bought and sold many speaker sets and loosing way more money than my wife is EVER going to know about, I found out that Technic makes a speaker adapter. I wish someone would post a sticky to show all the wonderful devices Technic makes to keep our mods much simpler than they usually end up to be.

Before I knew about the Technic adapter set, I bought a set of Morel Ovation II's that had been modified through MusicarNW. I though that the mods were done and would fit my car, but that wasn't the case. I didn't have an e90 or 1 series, which these were made for with it's acceptance of a 50mm speaker depth.

Chad, the guy I bought these speakers from was working with me like crazy and then brought up the Technic Speaker adapter for the e92 and e93 models. He orders a set and I received them the other day. I was still a bit skeptical about the fit.

So, with the door panel off, here's what I did to make sure I got maximum depth.

Attachment 1072679

The first step I did was to set the Morel face down onto the backside if the speaker grill, the way it is intended to go. You can do it with the speaker grill in or out of the door panel. Now scribe a mark on the speaker to show where each of the locking tabs (fingers) are around the speaker grill that lock it into the door panel (see photo above). The location key is the small tab (finger). Use that to properly clock where you want your speaker wires to aim once installed. On the photos below, the yellow circles show the scribe marks and the red lines show the tabs.

Attachment 1072680

Attachment 1072681

The next step is filing the side of the speaker between the scribe lines. I used a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel. In the photos below inside the red rounded rectangles, you can see how I filed it down. The lower edge is taken all the way to a sharp edge so it will not hang up when you seat the speaker in place.

Attachment 1072682

Attachment 1072683

Once you have the all of the positions around the speaker completed, test fit the speaker to the grill. Note the key tab is shown at the lower edge of the speaker in the photo. The green lines indicate where the tab and filed areas join.

Attachment 1072684

Now take the speaker grill and fully seat it back into the door panel.

Attachment 1072685

With the speaker grill in place, take the speaker and set it so the speaker and grill small key tab is lined up with the matching key area on the speaker. Now carefully and evenly press the speaker until it bottoms out without damaging the grill. The green circles and ovals show how all the tabs and filed areas on the speaker match up.

Attachment 1072686

Last, but not least, place the Technic adapter over the speaker and fasten it it down using the OEM hardware.

Attachment 1072687

Attachment 1072688

I hope this is helpful to many!

Last edited by BMWE934me; 03-15-2015 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2023, 03:38 AM   #2
micdev42
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 325i SE

no images

Hi, this sounds interesting and thanks for taking the time to post it.
I have an E93 in the UK and want to put in 'normal' (deeper, higher RMS) door speakers.
I know you wrote this a long time ago... Unfortunately the links to the images are dead. Do you have any pictures you can share?
Thanks
Michael
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 01:35 PM   #3
vester86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D '08

Last Activity: 09-13-2016 10:22 PM
Appreciate 0