E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

08-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #1189
PandaBear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive

Garage List
2009 335i X-Drive  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
ah okay thanks bro
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #1190
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear View Post
where can i purchase the 0000 steel wool to clean my exhaust tips with?
Yep any local hardware store should have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Can I use Merzerna Sealing Wax by hand on Ventureshield? Can I also use Opti-seal on Ventureshield too?
Yea, Opti-Seal would be the better option since you don't risk leaving product along the edges.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #1191
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I bought a Surface works 10 inch buffer. My car is AW and I want to get rid of the swirl marks. I would really appreciate it if you gave me a list of what polish to use, the wax, the pads and anything else i need to use. You can email me at nedimcajic@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #1192
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Yep any local hardware store should have it.

Yea, Opti-Seal would be the better option since you don't risk leaving product along the edges.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #1193
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedim View Post
I bought a Surface works 10 inch buffer. My car is AW and I want to get rid of the swirl marks. I would really appreciate it if you gave me a list of what polish to use, the wax, the pads and anything else i need to use. You can email me at nedimcajic@gmail.com
Replied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Thank you
Anytime
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #1194
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I got my porter cable and i was using a white pad with the meguries finishing polish...the swirls are still there...and i am pushing pretty hard. what am i doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #1195
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedim View Post
I got my porter cable and i was using a white pad with the meguries finishing polish...the swirls are still there...and i am pushing pretty hard. what am i doing wrong?
Depending on the severity of the imperfections, that particular combination may or may not be aggressive enough to remove the swirls. If you're using the M105 / M205 combo, be sure to read this article on how to properly prime your pad and apply the product with your PC. You may need to kick it up to orange pads or a more aggressive polish or compound.

Also, whenever you aren't getting the results your expecting here are a few key things to follow:
- Work in a smaller area
- Move the buffer slower
- Use a higher speed
- Add more pressure
- Make sure you are using a light that reveals imperfections as you are polishing such as either Brinkmann light

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #1196
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

I have a 335is in LeMans Blue. I basically just wash her every two weeks as she is garaged a lot. What do you rec. for a wax or sealant that is the easiest, least time consuming, and less prone to user error but gives good shine and long lasting protection. I usually just use a paste wax that I would buy at the local auto parts store but I think I want to do a little better on this car.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #1197
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
I have a 335is in LeMans Blue. I basically just wash her every two weeks as she is garaged a lot. What do you rec. for a wax or sealant that is the easiest, least time consuming, and less prone to user error but gives good shine and long lasting protection. I usually just use a paste wax that I would buy at the local auto parts store but I think I want to do a little better on this car.
I'd highly recommend going the route of Blackfire Wet Diamond for your sealant. This is one of the best sealants out there in terms of ease of use, protection, durability and a deep wet shine, similar to a carnauba wax. Many detailers and enthusiasts will end with the BFWD instead of topping it with a wax, but if you'd like a wax to add even more pop, you could pair it up with the Blackfire Midnight Sun for a killer sealant, wax combo. The Midnight Sun wax is very easy to apply and remove and looks very deep and wet. Here's a recent article one of our detailers published using the Midnight Sun Wax.

I can give you some other options, but that would certainly be one of my top pics.

Keep us posted on what you end up going with and how things turn out
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #1198
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd highly recommend going the route of Blackfire Wet Diamond for your sealant. This is one of the best sealants out there in terms of ease of use, protection, durability and a deep wet shine, similar to a carnauba wax. Many detailers and enthusiasts will end with the BFWD instead of topping it with a wax, but if you'd like a wax to add even more pop, you could pair it up with the Blackfire Midnight Sun for a killer sealant, wax combo. The Midnight Sun wax is very easy to apply and remove and looks very deep and wet. Here's a recent article one of our detailers published using the Midnight Sun Wax.

I can give you some other options, but that would certainly be one of my top pics.

Keep us posted on what you end up going with and how things turn out
Is this something I can just put on after washing or is there a lot of prep. involved? I'm looking for something that I can just use after washing as I go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week and bust my ass and by the weekends I just dont have the strength to spend all day doing a car detail. If this is something I can use without a lot of prep work then this might be perfect for me. Btw. its not that I'm lazy its just that the gym and bodybuilding are a top priority for me..Thanks..

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #1199
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Is this something I can just put on after washing or is there a lot of prep. involved? I'm looking for something that I can just use after washing as I go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week and bust my ass and by the weekends I just dont have the strength to spend all day doing a car detail. If this is something I can use without a lot of prep work then this might be perfect for me. Btw. its not that I'm lazy its just that the gym and bodybuilding are a top priority for me..Thanks..
You shouldn't need to apply Blackfire more than 2-3 times per year. Most would recommend stripping any previous protection off your paint (so the sealant is able to bond properly) and clay the car. It might take you an afternoon, but it's only a few times per year.

For a ride in your IS, I may give you a hand if you want..

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #1200
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
You shouldn't need to apply Blackfire more than 2-3 times per year. Most would recommend stripping any previous protection off your paint (so the sealant is able to bond properly) and clay the car. It might take you an afternoon, but it's only a few times per year.

For a ride in your IS, I may give you a hand if you want..

Where are you located? I would do this on weekends which means I'm down the Cape. I think it would take me more than an afternoon to do all of this. I'm big, slow, and lumbering.......

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #1201
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

Can this be buffed??

This is on the roof of my 07 335. There are 2 spots. I have a DA and all sorts of products. I ran this by my friends at Mothers and from the picture they are saying it looks like off gassing under the clear. I have my own theories. I just bought the car, CPO and did not see this till I got home. Bought the car on the other side of the state.

I can drive back to the selling dealer for a repair but that does not make too much sense right now.

What do you think??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #1202
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The prep work involved is what you want to make of it. At a minimum you need to wash it and dry it prior to applying the sealant and / or wax. Besides that its up to you, you will get maximum durability and best shine if you properly prep the paint by claying and polishing after wash, but certainly isn't necessary. I hear you about the gym, I can barely move today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
This is on the roof of my 07 335. There are 2 spots. I have a DA and all sorts of products. I ran this by my friends at Mothers and from the picture they are saying it looks like off gassing under the clear. I have my own theories. I just bought the car, CPO and did not see this till I got home. Bought the car on the other side of the state.

I can drive back to the selling dealer for a repair but that does not make too much sense right now.

What do you think??
Something like that probably can't be buffed because chances are it's under the clear. It's either a defect in the paint or a result of impact from something. These types of marks are pretty typical after a car gets egged. I'm not sure what a dealer would even do for you in this case other than a respray of the panel...

Keep us posted, I'm curious what they have to say.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #1203
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I just bought a bottle of BFWD (Thanks to DetailedImage ) I've read that one application lasts about 3 months or so. I'm going to do a complete detail early September at some point. If I want the sealant to last till March or April, do I need to apply a couple of coats? I don't think I'll be able to do another full detail in the dead of winter.

If so, how long do I wait till I apply the next coat?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #1204
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

[QUOTE=
Something like that probably can't be buffed because chances are it's under the clear. It's either a defect in the paint or a result of impact from something. These types of marks are pretty typical after a car gets egged. I'm not sure what a dealer would even do for you in this case other than a respray of the panel...

Keep us posted, I'm curious what they have to say.[/QUOTE]

It does not look like an impact at all. Looks like a defect in the paint. That is what the guys at Mothers said as well. I am going to take it to my local dealer and see what they have to say about it. Otherwise I will have to drive to Fort Lauderdale and have them paint the roof. I dread this. I would want to choose who did the painting.

I will keep you posted. And thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #1205
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan View Post
I just bought a bottle of BFWD (Thanks to DetailedImage ) I've read that one application lasts about 3 months or so. I'm going to do a complete detail early September at some point. If I want the sealant to last till March or April, do I need to apply a couple of coats? I don't think I'll be able to do another full detail in the dead of winter.

If so, how long do I wait till I apply the next coat?

Thanks!
Depending on weather conditions, how much the car is driven, how it's stored, etc. you can get up to 6 months protection. For optimal results, layer at least 2 coats spaced at least 8 hours apart in application. If you could, stick it out and apply your sealant at the end of October / early November so you have most of your protection during the winter. Once you get a nice day reapply it 3 - 4 months after application.

Even if you do a detail in Sept, a simple wash and reapplication of the sealant in October is still your best bet. Thanks again for your support, keep us posted how everything turns out.

Quote:
It does not look like an impact at all. Looks like a defect in the paint. That is what the guys at Mothers said as well. I am going to take it to my local dealer and see what they have to say about it. Otherwise I will have to drive to Fort Lauderdale and have them paint the roof. I dread this. I would want to choose who did the painting.

I will keep you posted. And thanks for the reply.
Yea it was tough to see if there was any type of dent from impact but that's typically what it can look like. Hopefully this gets resolved for you in a way that doesn't make things look worse from a bad respray. Best of luck w/ everything, ideally you get to choose the painter like you said.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #1206
PSU335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 911

I just bought a small bottle of ONR, along with about $90 of other stuff from DI. Should I follow up an ONR wash with a spray wax or a QD or neither?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #1207
PSU335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 911

Quote:

What do you think??
This actually looks like it might be bird etchings from leaving droppings on a car too long. I had this on an old car of mine. There really wasn't anything that I could do to remove it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #1208
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Depending on weather conditions, how much the car is driven, how it's stored, etc. you can get up to 6 months protection. For optimal results, layer at least 2 coats spaced at least 8 hours apart in application. If you could, stick it out and apply your sealant at the end of October / early November so you have most of your protection during the winter. Once you get a nice day reapply it 3 - 4 months after application.

Even if you do a detail in Sept, a simple wash and reapplication of the sealant in October is still your best bet. Thanks again for your support, keep us posted how everything turns out.
Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #1209
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU335i View Post
I just bought a small bottle of ONR, along with about $90 of other stuff from DI. Should I follow up an ONR wash with a spray wax or a QD or neither?
Yep it's a good idea to follow up with either a QD or a spray wax. The primary reason is to ensure that there is no ONR solution left on the paint that can leave behind a residue. It also will help absorb any remaining water droplets so you aren't left with water spots. You could do both steps or either one. If you regularly have your paint protected with a sealant or wax and your simply maintaining with the ONR, I'd probably opt for the QD post ONR wash. If you don't regularly keep your paint protected then I'd use the spray wax (or the QD first then follow up with the spray wax).

Thanks again for your support.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #1210
psquires
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335I E90

Hey so im getting ready to order but thought I see if you had any input on the products that Im thinking about or any alternatives I should be looking into! Also how do these compare with Zaino products (Z-PC, Z2, Z5)?

Poorboy's World Super Swirl Remover 2.5 (SSR 2.5)
Poorboy's World Super Swirl Remover 1 (SSR 1)
Poorboy's World EX Sealant w/ Carnauba (Really would like to know what you think about this!)

I have a black sapphire metallic with light to moderate swirls/marring. Also what pads would you recommend for each of these products?
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by psquires; 08-28-2010 at 02:34 AM..
Appreciate 0