E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Loss of power debate!

06-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Loss of power debate!

Didn't some 335 owners have issues with the pump that caused a sudden loss of power while driving? I always wondered what would happen if a truck was right behind a 335 when that happened.

Sad to see VW's lack of response to their sudden loss of power issue owing to their DSG, though it allegedly even caused some road deaths!
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/v...605-2np8x.html
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |

Last edited by cruvon; 06-05-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Most N54 owners have probably experienced this at some point however I can't see how it would cause a semi to run up the back of the car killing the driver...

Loss of power does not equal massive deceleration. It pretty much lies in the fault of the semi for not noticing that the vehicle in front was not maintaining it's speed.
      06-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Most N54 owners have probably experienced this at some point however I can't see how it would cause a semi to run up the back of the car killing the driver...

Loss of power does not equal massive deceleration. It pretty much lies in the fault of the semi for not noticing that the vehicle in front was not maintaining it's speed.
True, but at speed a sudden loss of power on the highway from 110 to neutral could be almost fatal in my mind and no way a heavy trailer truck moving at the top speed limit would be able to realise what's happening or compensate quickly enough in my opinion but hopefully as you suggested that wouldn't occur.

Quote:
A coroner this week investigated the death of Melissa Ryan, who was killed when a prime mover with two trailers hit her VW Golf from behind on the Monash Freeway in Melbourne.

The truck driver and Ms Ryan's family believe her car dramatically and inexplicably slowed before the crash.
http://news.drive.com.au/national/dr...531-2nha7.html

And more drivers who experienced the sudden loss of power too feel it could have been fatal
Quote:
A Volkswagen driver who lost acceleration in her vehicle on the approach to the Sydney Harbour Bridge said the result could have been catastrophic if she was on a busy highway at the time.
Di Webster is one of more than 15 drivers who have contacted Fairfax Media to report the same terrifying loss of power that appears to have led to the death of a 32-year-old woman on a Victorian highway in 2011.
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...=1370393168544

This one on their attitude to their customers made me feel really sick

Quote:
Unhappy driver says Volkswagen threatened his job
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...603-2nm9o.html
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |

Last edited by cruvon; 06-05-2013 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Jin-ActiveMotorwerke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 330i

Loss of power fault is not equal to going into neutral, on the 335i, you will loss power, but the car still drives and will stay on 110 easy. It will just not be able to boost up. So there is not much of a debate IMHO on a BMW 335i.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin.ActiveMotorwerke View Post
Loss of power fault is not equal to going into neutral, on the 335i, you will loss power, but the car still drives and will stay on 110 easy. It will just not be able to boost up. So there is not much of a debate IMHO on a BMW 335i.
agree...

i had a misfire on the M1 in the middle of changing lanes under decent throttle... Jin is spot on car didn't just decel it had a loss of throttle response. but i was still able to accelerate over to the emergency lane... just slower then normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Great to know the 335 doesn't cut power straight up at speed, what happens at say a speed of 50, could be a riskier situation to get out of the way in your opinion?

Reckon the VW in question would have had the same functionality too on failure or would it have switched to neutral?

Last edited by cruvon; 06-06-2013 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:34 AM   #7
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

when my hpfp went bad on my 135i I experienced a loss of power, on one of the F3s larger hills I barely managed 70km/h (in a 110 zone)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Stu, was that on a climb?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Jin-ActiveMotorwerke
Private First Class
Rep

So you were doing 110 already just before you hit the hill, fault pops up, and your car will slow right down to 70kms?
I think you will probably have enough power, speed, and time to pull over to the side of the road anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
Jin-ActiveMotorwerke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
Great to know the 335 doesn't cut power straight up at speed, what happens at say a speed of 50, could be a riskier situation to get out of the way in your opinion?

Reckon the VW in question would have had the same functionality too on failure or would it have switched to neutral?
The car will be slow to drive. I think it will probably be faster than those scooters/postie bikes, or some of those old van/trucks anyway. If they manage to stay on the road, you should be able to. At the end of the day, I think it will give you enough time and moving power to move off the road safely.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
The car will be slow to drive. I think it will probably be faster than those scooters/postie bikes, or some of those old van/trucks anyway. If they manage to stay on the road, you should be able to. At the end of the day, I think it will give you enough time and moving power to move off the road safely.
Jin time to update the drives part on your profile!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
Klaatu
Clean 335i
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Quote:
I experienced the engine fault reduced power last week. Its more a switch off of the turbos/boost and the car runs just like a 6 cylinder standard without the compressed air/fuel mix. Pulled over, let it sit for a minute or two and fired back up as normal and no problem with the turbos back on line. I think mine was a sensor problem or a poor mix of fuel. I will however have the mech at BromSpec check the fault codes sooner rather than later. The HPFP had already been replaced before I bought the car and to quote the mech that serviced it a few months ago " you've good a really good one there"....He drives a full spec schmick M3.
Appreciate 0