Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Steering wheel confort Vs 19" wheels

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-20-2007, 01:19 AM   #1
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Steering wheel confort Vs 19" wheels

Hello guys ,
I'd just like to ask if the installation of wider front tyres would result a slightly less responsive steering wheel. I have the feeling that after the replacement of my 17" wheels to the 19" M3 wheels(E92) resulted in a loss of steering-wheel responsiveness.

Maybe its my idea...maybe not.
Maybe it happens whenever you increase the wheels width...maybe not
Maybe its the agressive offset of M3 wheels...I dont know.

Could you please help me ?

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
nagge
Swedish user
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330dA

Those wheels look perfect, what offsets are they?
      11-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
Hello guys ,
I'd just like to ask if the installation of wider front tyres would result a slightly less responsive steering wheel. I have the feeling that after the replacement of my 17" wheels to the 19" M3 wheels(E92) resulted in a loss of steering-wheel responsiveness.

Maybe its my idea...maybe not.
Maybe it happens whenever you increase the wheels width...maybe not
Maybe its the agressive offset of M3 wheels...I dont know.

Could you please help me ?

Changing wheel offset will have effect how the car handles. There nothing good about having a positive scrub radius. It is likely you have less responsive turn and car might feel a bit nervous entering to mid corner when the road is not dead flat.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagge View Post
Those wheels look perfect, what offsets are they?
Really agressive offset...the rear are Et 23 9.5J while the default 335i setting for 19" is
ET:37 9.0J.
It needs plenty of modding in order to fit them properly. Still working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Changing wheel offset will have effect how the car handles. There nothing good about having a positive scrub radius. It is likely you have less responsive turn and car might feel a bit nervous entering to mid corner when the road is not dead flat.

Orb
Yes indeed...the car feels a bit nervous while cornering. Are there any counter-measures to this?
The tyres are brand new...so I "hope" the whole feeling to be improved as soon as they break-in.

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Last edited by Panoz; 11-20-2007 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
brandon @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

oh my god, more pics of your car asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
imaznumkay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

camber adjustments or sway bars? :
      11-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
amberzombie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [0.00]
where'd you get those M3 wheels from? are they just OEM?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
Really agressive offset...the rear are Et 23 9.5J while the default 335i setting for 19" is
ET:37 9.0J.
It needs plenty of modding in order to fit them properly. Still working on it.

Yes indeed...the car feels a bit nervous while cornering. Are there any counter-measures to this?
The tyres are brand new...so I "hope" the whole feeling to be improved as soon as they break-in.
Wow…you changed the offset for a delta of 17 mm. Unfortunately, positive offset bigger than 6-8 mm inherently causes handling anomalies. Suspension designers go to great lengths to make sure the King Pin Inclination is optimal which is dictated by wheel offset and related to scrub radius. Part of the skirmish feeling you get is because either side of the tire during cornering are at different speed so you can if you can imagine that the outer part of the tire wants to speed up the inside of the tire want to slow down. Nothing good about this as it causes bump steer and less than optimal camber curves as well as many other undersirable traits.

The only thing you really can do is run maximum camber and toe-in which will help a bit but you have physically modified the suspension more so than spring or shocks could ever do.

Sorry, I know this is not what you want to hear.

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 11-20-2007 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 01:03 AM   #9
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Wow…you changed the offset for a delta of 17 mm. Unfortunately, positive offset bigger than 6-8 mm inherently causes handling anomalies. Suspension designers go to great lengths to make sure the King Pin Inclination is optimal which is dictated by wheel offset and related to scrub radius. Part of the skirmish feeling you get is because either side of the tire during cornering are at different speed so you can if you can imagine that the outer part of the tire wants to speed up the inside of the tire want to slow down. Nothing good about this as it causes bump steer and less than optimal camber curves as well as many other undersirable traits.

The only thing you really can do is run maximum camber and toe-in which will help a bit but you have physically modified the suspension more so than spring or shocks could ever do.

Sorry, I know this is not what you want to hear.

Orb

Orb, thanks for your response... I really appreciate this. Please note that the above mentioned offset is the rear wheel's one.

The front M3 Wheels has a set-up of 8.5J ET:29 , while the default 335i wheel 8.0J ET:37.
The difference (8mm) is not as big as the rear ones. Do you feel like any kind of adjustements could reduce or eliminate this feeling?

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 07:54 AM   #10
FUR65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2008 E90 320d  [0.00]
wheels are perfect,dude!! Ans I wanna say that by the changing wheels handling of your car will be less than the first. But I think that the looking of your car more important than the handling... And really your wheels suited to your car....
Appreciate 0