E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Speeing tieckt in NJ

06-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #23
NYC TAR
Rep
Drives: 335I

why bother wasting time- money fighting it.
the ticket you get in jersey DOES NOT show up in your NYS license ( NYS will NOT accept point form other state except some part of canada- your insurance will not see it)
NJ is broke ass state, they like to pick on NY Driver, they know it wont show point on their license. They just want your revenue lol
Ive got few jersey ticket, i just pay it off, unless your want warrant out in jersey.
how many hire a lawyer letter you got in the mail? lol

Last edited by NYC TAR; 06-06-2013 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
N.J laws are really strict. especially speeding, DUI, pretty much any traffic violations. You will be lucky if that's all the ticket is going to cost you. The court usually adds a court fee, and administration fee. Your $220.00 ticket, can easily become $500. N.J is made up of many little towns. Each town has their own municipal court, and they can't wait to get you in there, so you could help pay the police, town workers, road repairs, and all the overtime the police make when they show up to court. Good Luck.
I still don't understand why some posters say they could get the tickets cut in 1/2 by talking to the prosecutor, and some would say the ticket would actually cause more if I go to the court??
Quote:
I see you were going double the speed even though you said for only 2-3 seconds. That usually turns into much more than a fine. You must of been driving through a town. What town were you in if you don't mind?
It was a Saturday and the cop said that there was school right next to it and they were having SAT tests. I am from out of the town, and how the hell am I suppose to know all the buildings that I am driving by? And I seriously just revved my engine for 2 sec and then hit the break because there's a red light in front of me. BTW it was in Bergen County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
If you go this route - make sure you use the spell checker before submitting the letter - otherwise they may just throw you in jail immediately
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTorque View Post
Anything you write can be used against you.... I would advise having a lawyer write it or perhaps represent you in person.
I am prob not going to write it because I can't do this in the stat of NJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC TAR View Post
why bother wasting time- money fighting it.
the ticket you get in jersey DOES NOT show up in your NYS license ( NYS will NOT accept point form other state except some part of canada- your insurance will not see it)
NJ is broke ass state, they like to pick on NY Driver, they know it wont show point on their license. They just want your revenue lol
Ive got few jersey ticket, i just pay it off, unless your want warrant out in jersey.
how many hire a lawyer letter you got in the mail? lol
LMAO just 1 letter so far lmao. Ya I am still debating if I should waste time to go to the court to cut down the ticket to 1/2.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #25
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
I still don't understand why some posters say they could get the tickets cut in 1/2 by talking to the prosecutor, and some would say the ticket would actually cause more if I go to the court??

It was a Saturday and the cop said that there was school right next to it and they were having SAT tests. I am from out of the town, and how the hell am I suppose to know all the buildings that I am driving by? And I seriously just revved my engine for 2 sec and then hit the break because there's a red light in front of me. BTW it was in Bergen County.

I am prob not going to write it because I can't do this in the stat of NJ.

LMAO just 1 letter so far lmao. Ya I am still debating if I should waste time to go to the court to cut down the ticket to 1/2.
I highly doubt that they will cut the ticket by 1/2. Usually how it works anywhere is that if you show up, they will knock it down to a lesser violation (points wise) and up the fine. This way, they get what they want and you get what you want. Trust me, as someone else stated points will make your insurance go up no matter what the state. You might as well just go out there and Bergen isnt even that far.

Where in NYC are you from?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #26
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
I highly doubt that they will cut the ticket by 1/2. Usually how it works anywhere is that if you show up, they will knock it down to a lesser violation (points wise) and up the fine. This way, they get what they want and you get what you want. Trust me, as someone else stated points will make your insurance go up no matter what the state. You might as well just go out there and Bergen isnt even that far.

Where in NYC are you from?
Damn everyones telling different stories... I am 100% sure that the points won't carry over to NY and up my insurance. But like you said, the prosecutor might most likely just want to just get rid of the points for me and pay more fine for those points which I don't want lol. I am from Queens.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #27
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

Quote:
Damn everyones telling different stories... I am 100% sure that the points won't carry over to NY and up my insurance. But like you said, the prosecutor might most likely just want to just get rid of the points for me and pay more fine for those points which I don't want lol. I am from Queens.
Its literally like a 30-40 minute drive from Queens. I got to school in Hoboken and it usually take me roughly 20-30 min on a good day.

If you are so sure about the points, consider the guy who posted about the VA points on his NYS license
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #28
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Its literally like a 30-40 minute drive from Queens. I got to school in Hoboken and it usually take me roughly 20-30 min on a good day.

If you are so sure about the points, consider the guy who posted about the VA points on his NYS license
Ya I guess.. I'll take a drive there for the court then... The guy with VA points said he lives in NJ where NJ license do get pts carried over from other states. I guess its good to have a NY license :P
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #29
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

Quote:
Ya I guess.. I'll take a drive there for the court then... The guy with VA points said he lives in NJ where NJ license do get pts carried over from other states. I guess its good to have a NY license :P
oh shit, my bad. cant help a brotha for lookin out ahah
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #30
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Quote:
I am 100% sure you will be surprised when your insurance raises your premium, so you try to shop around, but all other insurance companies give you ridiculous quotes. When I used to live in NYC 2 years ago (had to have NY license then), Geico definitely pulled up the tickets I got from Jersey and VA.

I'm not saying listen to me cuz I know better, but are you willing to run the risk of over-paying your insurance by hundreds to thousands every year for the next 5 years by listening to random people without legal knowledge who won't care if you lost all that money, or are you going to consider the worst case scenario and get this taken care of the correct way from the beginning by spending extra a few hundred bucks now while you still have a chance?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #31
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just saw this post. Good to hear man If you're not gonna hire a lawyer, then just wear a shirt and a tie, and suck up to the Prosecuting Attorney, saying this is my first time, etc. then he'll knock it down a good amount. Make sure to say you want "0 point, please with cherry on top."
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #32
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
oh shit, my bad. cant help a brotha for lookin out ahah
Good looking out bro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by will.c View Post
I am 100% sure you will be surprised when your insurance raises your premium, so you try to shop around, but all other insurance companies give you ridiculous quotes. When I used to live in NYC 2 years ago (had to have NY license then), Geico definitely pulled up the tickets I got from Jersey and VA.

I'm not saying listen to me cuz I know better, but are you willing to run the risk of over-paying your insurance by hundreds to thousands every year for the next 5 years by listening to random people without legal knowledge who won't care if you lost all that money, or are you going to consider the worst case scenario and get this taken care of the correct way from the beginning by spending extra a few hundred bucks now while you still have a chance?
Were the ticket paid late? If yes then NJ will report it to NY.

Also did you have 2 licenses at that time? (NY and NJ)

Last edited by Prissy; 06-06-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #33
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Just saw this post. Good to hear man If you're not gonna hire a lawyer, then just wear a shirt and a tie, and suck up to the Prosecuting Attorney, saying this is my first time, etc. then he'll knock it down a good amount. Make sure to say you want "0 point, please with cherry on top."
Shirt and tie for sure )
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #34
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Op, the ticket will definitely show up your record. Traffic violations do not go away because of different states, just like driving with a suspended license will show if you get stopped regardless of what state your in. It's like having a warrant in N.J, and you move to L.A, you are still wanted. It's a national database. I'm sure you heard of someone getting arrested for having a warrant for their arrest in a different state. Municipal court judges are a PITA, especially when they see you were going double the speed limit for whatever reason. Have a really good escuse, dress conservative, and please don't have your pants falling off, and underwear showing. Your first impression, could help, or hurt your case. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #35
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Op, the ticket will definitely show up your record. Traffic violations do not go away because of different states, just like driving with a suspended license will show if you get stopped regardless of what state your in. It's like having a warrant in N.J, and you move to L.A, you are still wanted. It's a national database. I'm sure you heard of someone getting arrested for having a warrant for their arrest in a different state. Municipal court judges are a PITA, especially when they see you were going double the speed limit for whatever reason. Have a really good escuse, dress conservative, and please don't have your pants falling off, and underwear showing. Your first impression, could help, or hurt your case. Good Luck.
I am not one of them that shows my underwear on the street lmao. Do you have a NY license, because according to NY DMV the points will not transfer over. Please take a look at this: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/tickets.htm

skip to this section: If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #36
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Were the ticket paid late? If yes then NJ will report it to NY.

Also did you have 2 licenses at that time? (NY and NJ)
Both paid on time. Hired a lawyer for each, and reduced them as much as possible. You are allowed to have only 1 state's license at a time. I had to forfeit my NJ when I got my NY, and vice versa.

Come to think of it now, my insurance even had an access to my 0 point tickets too.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #37
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Both paid on time. Hired a lawyer for each, and reduced them as much as possible. You are allowed to have only 1 state's license at a time. I had to forfeit my NJ when I got my NY, and vice versa.

Come to think of it now, my insurance even had an access to my 0 point tickets too.
Man that's real odd... This really confuses me. Most people say it won't transfer over and insurance won't go up... But you and this other guy from the below thread did get transferred over. Maybe just unlucky?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...age=2?xyzallow

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...icket?xyzallow
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #38
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
If you go this route - make sure you use the spell checker before submitting the letter - otherwise they may just throw you in jail immediately
LOL, your funny! But yes... be professional and keep on point (keep comments and personal feelings for your friends... not for the courts).
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #39
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man that's real odd... This really confuses me. Most people say it won't transfer over and insurance won't go up... But you and this other guy from the below thread did get transferred over. Maybe just unlucky?

Hmm.. after reading those threads, I'm thinking maybe I got screwed cuz I moved back and forth so many times between NJ and NY, I don't know.. But I'm still convinced that insurance companies see everything.

I still would put a solid closure to this case if it's not too much extra effort, but it's really up to you at this point to compile all these info and make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #40
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTorque View Post
Anything you write can be used against you.... I would advise having a lawyer write it or perhaps represent you in person.
Always best to go with a lawyer... but usually the lawyer vs ticket price comes out to a wash. It really depends on how well you can do your own research and represent yourself. I'm an Engineer, we are just as anal as lawyers... but we produce something useful for the world. :P
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #41
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Hmm.. after reading those threads, I'm thinking maybe I got screwed cuz I moved back and forth so many times between NJ and NY, I don't know.. But I'm still convinced that insurance companies see everything.

I still would put a solid closure to this case if it's not too much extra effort, but it's really up to you at this point to compile all these info and make a decision.
Yup... good luck to me haha
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #42
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

My 0.02 cents is... if you are in any way confused... go immediately to find an attorney who will do an initial consultation with you for FREE (many will charge money... don't do it). At the initial consultation... get all your answers that you need about costs, how he will represent you (either he will come in person to the court or just tell you what to do and you do all the work). Also find out what his success rate is on similar cases, ask all your questions that your confused about with points and insurance.

Sometimes it pays to have them take "care" of the ticket... usually it works best with a local attorney who knows the judge and the prosecutor, etc... they are all part of the same cesspool and scratch each others backs. If anything you will learn the hard way what our legal system is and how things work (That is actually invaluable).

- Faz
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #43
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
My 0.02 cents is... if you are in any way confused... go immediately to find an attorney who will do an initial consultation with you for FREE (many will charge money... don't do it). At the initial consultation... get all your answers that you need about costs, how he will represent you (either he will come in person to the court or just tell you what to do and you do all the work). Also find out what his success rate is on similar cases, ask all your questions that your confused about with points and insurance.

Sometimes it pays to have them take "care" of the ticket... usually it works best with a local attorney who knows the judge and the prosecutor, etc... they are all part of the same cesspool and scratch each others backs. If anything you will learn the hard way what our legal system is and how things work (That is actually invaluable).

- Faz
Thanks Faz!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #44
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Faz!
No problem... It takes me back to the 90's when I fought my first speeding ticket :P boy did I learn a lot and from that day forward I was empowered with how to work the system to my benefit because I made the effort to learn.

Knowledge is expensive... but ignorance can get you in serious trouble.
Appreciate 0