E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > VRSF HD 7" FMIC + Lower Charge Pipe Install Tips for N55

05-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Xdrive (E92)

VRSF HD 7" FMIC + Lower Charge Pipe Install Tips for N55

Hi all, I just wanted to drop a few tips to the community on installing the VRSF 7" HD intercooler. I did it on my E92 N55 over the weekend, and it was an absolute nightmare without being able to find any proper installation guides.

My kit included:
Intercooler, Aluminum Lower Charge Pipe, Elbow-style Silicon Coupler, Straight Silicon Coupler, 4 T-bolt Clamps, Mounting screws

Start out by removing the stock intercooler, plenty of DIY's on this and it's very easy. I didn't need to remove my front bumper on my E92 Msport, although it surely would have made things a little easier if you feel like doing it.

Next, remove the radiator fan from the car. I didn't realize how much easier this would make things until my mechanic came over and helped me finish this install after many hours of struggle. Removing the radiator fan makes it much easier to get to the lower charge pipe and the piping on the exhaust side (passenger side) of the intercooler. And you need all the space you can get to ensure the silicon couplers are properly installed and clamped down as tightly as possible.

Next, I used a dremel with an engraving style tip attached to it to cut out the excess plastic shrouding where the intercooler goes. I cut it all out except for the mesh style grill itself, and found it very easy once I ditched the circular blade style dremel attachment, which kept getting melted to the plastic during cutting.

Put the elbow-style silicon coupler over the bottom of the new aluminum lower charge pipe. The lower charge pipe connects the intercooler to the upper charge pipe, and is found on the drivers side of the engine bay. Throughout this process, make sure you tighten the t-bolt clamps down close to the edge of the coupler where it meets the pipe. I finished my install but had all of my clamps too far toward the center of the coupler instead of the edge, and was getting boost leaks because of it. With the radiator fan removed, you should have enough space to snake that lower charge pipe down to where it will meet the intercooler.

On the exhaust (passenger side) I didnt read ANYTHING about this and had to consult my mechanic on what to do. There is an accordion-style plastic tubing that attaches the piping to the stock intercooler. You encountered it when you removed the stock intercooler. This needs to be cut out. At the top of the accordion-style connector, you can see it's clamped down to the plastic pipe with a metal band. I used my dremel to cut the metal band, and then the accordion-style connector popped out. You replace this with the other straight-style silicon coupler that came with the kit. Clamp it down.

Next you can put (FORCE) the VRSF intercooler in by pulling down on the front bumper and sliding it into its spot. Hold it in place until you can use the included two screws to secure it in place. The rubber washer (as far as I could tell) goes on the outside, and then the screw inserts into it. Finally, slide the ends of the couplers onto the intercooler and secure with t-bolt clamps.

From here you should be done, and can go back to the engine bay to finish securing the new lower charge pipe to the upper charge pipe. Hope that helps anyone who is struggling to find some good help on how to do this install.

And when I die, make sure you spread my blood on a BMW
2012 E92 335i xdrive | KW V1 Coilovers | ER Chargepipe | VRSF 7" HD | VRSF Catless DP | MHD Stage 2+ | xHP Stage 3

Last edited by eyehategod; 05-15-2018 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 0