E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Seven Type Cars

04-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Seven Type Cars

After deciding that I am not going to get rid of the MR2T and am going to be saving up for an STC, or this may even be a kit to build an STC as I'm doing Motorsport Technology next year at university, for our 2nd and 3rd year project we can do anything we want so long as it is approved, I think building a car would be.

Some things I've got to make my mind up about include -

Caterham or other? Caterhams are more expensive but do hold their money really well, Westys, MKs etc. are a lot cheaper, you can also buy Westfields as a modular kit and you make it as you go along which could be a good idea, make it as I get the money to do the next bit.

Engine? Do I go for a bike or a car engine, actually I'm 90% sure I want a car engine so thats not difficult but what actual engine I would like I'm still not sure!

Cant wait to save enough to start the search or start the build, really EXCITED about this, anyone owned a Seven Type Car or can give me any advise it's much appreciated!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Hi Nic

I built a seven type car a good few years ago. It was a Robin Hood 2B based on a Sierra Saph 2.0 efi.

The kit cost a couple of grand and the Sierra was an MOT failure for £90. Built the car for about £3.5k in the end and £ per smile, it couldn't be beaten

The 2.0 litre engine in a relatively light car is great fun and plenty of power was available. They are not cars built for top speed and the 0-60 was about 6 secs which was fine for something with no roof!

I loved the car but a divorce (prob caused by building the bloody thing!) caused me to sell it. Sometimes wish I still had it

Go for it, top fun and you don't need to spend £10k when you can have very similar fun in one thats costs half that price.

There are lots of variants - Robin Hood, Tiger, etc - Caterham is the most expensive with Westfield not far behind. Yes they are the best but for weekend fun, do you need the best??
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
That sounds really good, didn't realise it could be done so cheaply, I think Robin Hood are near to me, well the name suggests Nottingham!

How hard and how long did the kit take to build? I'll have full workshop and manufacturing facilities which is an added bonus.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do you not want to finish the first year before planning year 2 and 3

Do you need a new ticker to start saving in addition to the Caterham
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
i was watching a kit car programme on disco channel a lot of kit cars have bike engines as they are more fun and rev higher but he had a lot of help from member to build it sounds fun thou
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
That sounds really good, didn't realise it could be done so cheaply, I think Robin Hood are near to me, well the name suggests Nottingham!

How hard and how long did the kit take to build? I'll have full workshop and manufacturing facilities which is an added bonus.
The kit itself was £2000 (more expensive as I went for the polished stainless option with fibreglass nosecone, cycle wings and rear arches - the plain steel one was cheaper but needed painting.) and they advertise that you 'could' build it with just the donor car and the kit parts they supply. However you would end up with Sierra seats and steering wheel etc....not nice!

My biggest cost was wheels/tyres, interior trim inc seats, a custom baffled fuel tank and getting the fibre glass resprayed.

Still ended up with a fun car on a budget - they still exist as Great British Sportscars .... http://www.greatbritishsportscars.com/index.php

I used the Project 2B kit - I will find out some pics if your interested?

It took a couple of years to build but I had a young child and started my business at the same time so only had sunday afternoons etc to play could have been better with more time and money but it passed the SVA test OK, got loads of attention on the road, everyone in petrol stations wanted to chat about it and I sold it for £4.5k without any effort at all Plus, I can honestly say I have built my own car from scratch which I am very proud of
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

for a project what's new in building a kit which has been done by many others before? Do something else. In my mind there is potential for an supersized Seven (+10-15% in size ) chassis, with decent wheels, F-1/KTM Oxbow looks, much more useable, much more possibilities for 50/50 layout etc. And obtain potentially sponsoring from Caterham, Westfield, Donkervoort (the ultilmate in this class i believe) & Co. All these companies are asically offering the same product..

cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F104 View Post
for a project what's new in building a kit which has been done by many others before? Do something else. In my mind there is potential for an supersized Seven (+10-15% in size ) chassis, with decent wheels, F-1/KTM Oxbow looks, much more useable, much more possibilities for 50/50 layout etc. And obtain potentially sponsoring from Caterham, Westfield, Donkervoort (the ultilmate in this class i believe) & Co. All these companies are asically offering the same product..

cheers
.......and how can you do that on a sensible budget??????????

You would need to be a skilled engineer to design a sports car that has a decent chassis. FYI the Robin Hood IS a supersized seven. I am 6'2" and 'man sized' and I could easily fit into the Robin Hood. I tried to drive my mates Westy and could not get into the drivers seat

Building an established kit such as the Robin Hood is quite difficult. Where the Westy simply bolts together, the Hood needs a lot of engineering. For example all the metalwork (apart from the bonnet) comes flat and need shaping, cutting and honing to fit. All the fixing holes need drilling, brackets need fabricating. All enjoyable fun and makes your car unique. Everyone has a differing idea on how to achieve similar tasks.

Have you ever built a kit car? I doubt it from that above post
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Carrera, my saving thing should be for a Seven Type Car or bits to make one I suppose, at the moment it is all early days of course, I may not end up building the car and buy a Caterfield / other STC.

Red - yes please I'd love to see some pics!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

I'd love to build a seven. I've driven superlights before and they are truly awesome.

If I was building from scratch I would definitely consider a bike engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 03:32 AM   #11
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Bike engine may be something for my to investigate further into, I know my course covers bike engined cars so I can't see that being a problem.

Still not sure what to do, going to save up then in September speak to Steve who runs my course, may just end up buying one but I do think if I actually built the car I'd be more inclined to keep it and I'd learn lots!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 04:58 AM   #12
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
Bike engine may be something for my to investigate further into, I know my course covers bike engined cars so I can't see that being a problem.

Still not sure what to do, going to save up then in September speak to Steve who runs my course, may just end up buying one but I do think if I actually built the car I'd be more inclined to keep it and I'd learn lots!
It really depends on your budget Nic. Bike engined kit cars are awesome BUT expensive! The bike engined kits need to be very light as the lowish torque of a bike engine won't cope with excess weight.

They are also known to be heavy on clutches, again due to the weight issues. They can also be very difficult to drive around town with a clutch like an on/off switch. For a car destined to track only, a bike engined car is fantastic, but as a car that you would be happy to jump in and drive all the time I would stick with a car engine.

Horses for courses really, and hugely down to your budget. £7.5k wont build you a decent bike engined kit car BUT will build you a nice car engined one. Sturat Taylor locoblades are a good bike engined kit on a budget. Westies look the best with their high quality fibre glass body but it comes at a premium. A zetec powered Tiger would be a good all rounder for both road and track use IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:08 AM   #13
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Dax Rush.
      04-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #14
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
It really depends on your budget Nic. Bike engined kit cars are awesome BUT expensive! The bike engined kits need to be very light as the lowish torque of a bike engine won't cope with excess weight.

They are also known to be heavy on clutches, again due to the weight issues. They can also be very difficult to drive around town with a clutch like an on/off switch. For a car destined to track only, a bike engined car is fantastic, but as a car that you would be happy to jump in and drive all the time I would stick with a car engine.

Horses for courses really, and hugely down to your budget. £7.5k wont build you a decent bike engined kit car BUT will build you a nice car engined one. Sturat Taylor locoblades are a good bike engined kit on a budget. Westies look the best with their high quality fibre glass body but it comes at a premium. A zetec powered Tiger would be a good all rounder for both road and track use IMO.
Great stuff, I'm going to have to get speaking to some local Seven owners at the next White Hart Classic Cars, always a few there.

I think I'll get to have a go in a bike engined car sometime end of this year or next year through my course so will get to see if I like it or not.

One thing I do know is I want a proper screen

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0