E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Sirius audio quality

04-13-2006, 03:54 PM   #23
cbrunk@creationsbyyou.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2006

Sirus(ly) bad quality

I also concur with the sound quality issue. I'm fairly certain it is due to excessive compression and an inability of the BMW unit to reproduce these compressed signals very well. Even 128k MP3's sound far better. It has a sever lack of clarity and a very noticeable warbling effect in the mid range. Listen especially to mid range lower volume background instruments which will sometimes take on a weird higher pitch wobbling synthesized sound, unlike the original. I'm hoping BMW offers a fix, or an XM option at some point in the future, but that’s dreaming unless a lot of customers complain (BMW’s number is 1-800-831-1117.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #24
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn
Now that I have Sirius in my E90 I find that I hardly ever listen to it because there is never anything on that I wish to listen to. There are fewer channels and the few they have seem to never play what I want to hear.
OMG you took the words right out my mouth/mind....well said. I find myself missing the XM I have in my other car or listening to ipod/mp3/CDs more, quite disappointed in Sirius content..

As far as quality, yes it is sub-CD quality and maybe sub-FM quality, but I never expected it to be....

All in all, I wish I never went for the full boat Sirius install and settled for sat prep with hopes an XM adapter kit comes along. If I could, i would cash in my sirius option for comfort access...

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 04:41 PM   #25
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Two Things:

I have had XM in my Mercedes for over year and love it. My new 330 was manufactured Monday and is waiting for the ship. I got Sirius, obviously. But, I am really afraid about it. My XM NEVER< EVER, loses signal. Well, once, literally, on a two hour drive. Driving my nephew's new Audi A6, Sirius dropped out just because of a few trees. XM has a far superior repeater system and that is what counts in cities such as L.A.

Second, I made a CD with MP3's for my friends new 325. It worked perfectly, but I noticed the sound was really THIN. So, I just tweeked up the bass and, I must say, it sounded just great.

I made the CD from iTunes and the Artist Name, Album Name and Song Title showed up perfectly and was not truncated at 8 characters. The full file structure was there.

Can't wait to see how it looks on the iDrive screen of the 330.

I am keeping my XM MyFi portable unit. If Sirius turns out to be that bad, I'm going to reactivate the MyFi and plug it into the AUX INPUT in the armrest.

So, THERE, Sirius -- take that ! ! ! LOL

Larry
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #26
voyager
lurking variable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i/sport/prem/sat/CA

Sirius sounds hollow to me, I'm a bit dissapointed by the quality.
however I DO listen to it more than FM or CD, at least until I get the new I-pod integration that's supposed to be available in July.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2006, 11:14 PM   #27
goIrish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I picked up my car this past Saturday (15 April) and it was "supposed" to have Sirius installed. On Friday the 14th, a BMW service bulletin came accross that the Sirius units were all being replaced and a new part was being issued. I have to wait another two weeks until my dealership gets the new unit but I have to wonder if it is in response to quality complaints?????
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #28
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I find the content on sirius to be leagues above XM,

I have a buddy with XM and I really didn't get what the buzz was about, I couldn't find a channel that played what I liked. I got Sirius for Stern and just loved the music from the start. If anything I buzz around between channels just because I know that there might be a song I like more on some other channel.

XM and sirius are certainly not the same, and a big factor is the type of music/talk you listen to and giving up your familiar stations is not easy.

I agree about the signal strength being stronger with XM, but I don't care how strong it is if they're not playing anything I'd like to hear.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #29
kirk330
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

My dealer installed Sirius has not worked adequately since I took delivery back in November. It is aquiring signal more than it is playing with a clear open sky above. I have another car with a self installed Sirius and the only cut outs I get is going under an overpass and sometimes it does not cut out then. My E90 was in last week for the software upgrade that my SA said should fix the problem. Well it did not. I am hoping that the service bulletin that is mentioning a replacement unit is the answer or I am going to demand a refund or better yet the new IPOD integration kit when it comes out. This is my third BMW from my dealer so hopefully that will help me with some resolve to this matter.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 08:08 AM   #30
FastAttackNick
My other ride gets 2000 nm to the neutron...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sport

I have an aftermarket XM kit installed on my Expedition, and Sirius on the '06 330i. I've found I like the music selections better on Sirius, but news and talk much better on XM. I have noticed, and have been very disappointed by the signal drop on Sirius. Overhanging trees are enough to kill it - never have that problem with XM. Oh well...

330i / Premium, Sport, and Cold Weather Packages

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 10:04 AM   #31
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAttackNick
I have an aftermarket XM kit installed on my Expedition, and Sirius on the '06 330i. I've found I like the music selections better on Sirius, but news and talk much better on XM. I have noticed, and have been very disappointed by the signal drop on Sirius. Overhanging trees are enough to kill it - never have that problem with XM. Oh well...
I am the inverse of you...I find that Sirius has better non-music programming and XM has better music content You are right about dropped signals, short stints under overheads cuts the signal more readily than XM (less ground repeaters?)

What's the deal with the new Sirius units?? Do they have additional features? Better quaility??

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 07:38 AM   #32
FastAttackNick
My other ride gets 2000 nm to the neutron...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sport

Is the upgrade something we can get with a software update - or if we have the old build are we SOL?

330i / Premium, Sport, and Cold Weather Packages

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 12:50 AM   #33
goIrish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

eh, I meant the old units on their shelfs were being replaced, not the ones in use already... my bad... hope i didn't give anyone false hopes
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #34
yowsa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

So..here I am reviving an old thread. I just got my Sirius activated yesterday and YES...I am SO DISAPPOINTED with the audio quality of Sirius. The music sounds flat and like it's mono at times. FM Radio definitely sounds way better. Even the Aux output to my IPOD sounds a million times better than SAT radio. I'm kicking myself for getting this expensive option now!

DOH!

I say think twice before getting this option, and if you are seriously considering it, test it out at a dealership first. Then make your decision.

Cheers!

Check out this: http://radio.about.com/od/listeningt...ellitequal.htm

Update: Actually, I found out that different stations get different allocation of bandwidth-the more popular the station, the better it sounds. Now having it for a few weeks, I must say that I do enjoy Sat radio--I may even consider renewing when the time comes. I just hope some of the stations sound better in the future.

E92 335i, TiAg, Black Leather, Aluminum Trim, 6spd Manual

Sport, Premium, Cold, Nav, PDC, CA, SIRIUS

Last edited by yowsa; 01-22-2007 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #35
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

sorry to hear that, but the low quality sound from the factory sirius is why I went with a XM radio that wires to the shark fin, the sound is quite amazing for sat radio.
Appreciate 0